unable to connect to computer to hotsync via network or cable ..

Discussion in 'Palm' started by ferrous, Jul 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ferrous

ferrous yep, my feet & socks.

hi, all. :)

it's been ages since i've been around! mostly it's just because i've gone & got myself a new man, so i've been busy getting to know him (getting to know him *again*, that is. we were friends many years ago but lost contact for a while. now, about 15 years later, we're both in very different places than we were all that time ago. there was an attraction & hey, presto, we've been seeing each other for about 12 weeks now! lol!), but i've also been busy with life in general. you know how it gets, right?

so i've been having issues with my palm for a while. mostly little things like mykbd playing up & the usual digitiser issues.

i haven't been able to hotsync since i sent my laptop in for 'repair' a while ago. it was an intermittent problem, so of course, they couldn't repeat the issue. always the way. anyway, they did a few upgrades to it while they had it & so when i got it back, there were a whole heap of things it couldn't do again: one of which is hotsync.

i've taken my sweet time about it, but i reinstalled the newest version of desktop & hotsync manager from the palm site. it hadn't made any difference.

i don't even get the 'bong bing!' sound when i sit the palm into the cradle. nothing at all. i hit the button & it tries, but then just times out with the 'connection between your device & the desktop could not be established' message.

any ideas, folks? i'd love some help. i don't mind not hotsyncing so much, but it's been way too long since i've been able to load any word docs etc onto my palm so i can read them away from the computer with docs to go, etc. i need hotsync to get them into the compatible native mode, right?

if there's another way to get them on there, then that might be a good work around instead of needing hotsync, yes? i suppose not being able to load word & excel files on there is my main issue with not being able to hotsync.

2. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Welcome back! We've missed you.

You can do everything without hotsyncing except the PIMS. You just need a an app like Cardreader from mobile stream (or a physical SD card reader), Pruss free MyInstall and NVBackup. Bingo. Transfer files to and from computer and SD card, use MyInstall to install Palm apps as hotsync would and use NVBackup to backup everything.

As to hotsync, I think your first mistake was moving to the downloaded desktop. The one on the TX CD is really the best for the TX. What I would do is uninstall everything and start over.

Make sure your AV and firewall are turned off during installation.

Make sure you have admin privledges during install

Make sure you do NOT connect the TX to the computer (even though you will be invited to) until installation is complete and you have rebooted the computer.

Make sure you are using a USB port closest to the mother board. This will be one of the ones at the back of the computer, not on the sides or front.

By the way, I'm assuming PC with XP. If not, forget what I just said and wait for a Mac person. If Vista, forget PDAs and have fun with your new guy. ;)

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Mac user here if that's the issue. If not I'm going back to bed. :)

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

truly a shame that Zippy "doesn't live here anymore" -- I'd rep everyone above! I have no suggestions, though, ferrous; Hook's advice is more detailed, succinct and accurate than anything I'd have had to offer. and being Mac-impaired, well, I still don't understand how a one-button mouse worked/works...

5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

The moral of the story: Computer repair shops should be avoided.

Welcome back, ferrous!

Hook gives good advice. Sounds like the Palm TX driver isn't working. The CD that came with your TX is the best bet.

Another option would be to try to hotsync over WiFi. You do have a WiFi network at home, right? Right!? :rolleyes: Hotsync over bluetooth is an option, too, but you wouldn't want to be in a hurry if you go that route.

6. Gregte

Gregte TX lifer

My favorite way to transfer any files to or from the TX, including Word and Excel, is to Send via bluetooth. Very simple and plenty quick. No cables, firewalls or anything else to deal with.

No, not at all. If you use bluetooth to Send a Word or Excel document to your computer just select the "Send as MS Word / MS Excel file" button on the TX when Sending via bluetooth.

7. ferrous

thanks, hook! :)

i have—& use—at least half of those things already.

i wonder if myinstall was one of the ones someone pm'd me about a while ago? i dare say it was one of the ones i stupidly, accidentally, deleted completely from my system when i was doing a bit of a clean up months & months ago. i deleted my whole palm folder! ugh. very annoying. anyway, i'll look into that one.

i didn't uninstall previously because i couldn't even find them in the list of apps! now they're in there, i'll give that a try.

i didn't turn off my av, so i'll do that next time, but i do have admin privileges. i can't remember if i plugged it in yet. pretty sure i didn't until later. i'll keep that in mind.

nope. there are none on the back! all usb ports are on the sides. it's a toshiba satellite laptop.

i probably should have specified. it's a laptop with .. *shudder* .. vista. thus why i had to use the downloaded version. i'l try starting from scratch though, completely clean, & see how i go.

8. ferrous

ugh. tell me about it. mind you, it was (maybe still is?) under warranty. it was a battery issue that hasn't played up since it came back, so maybe it was fixed after all? hm. who knows.

thanks, jig! :)

i do have wifi, but it also won't connect over the network that way. i thought i said that above. maybe i didn't. anyway, it won't connect no matter what i do.

how do you hotsync over bluetooth, though? i don't see any option to do it that way.

9. ferrous

hmm. i'll give this a try. thanks. :)

oh. that's right. except the bluetooth connection on my computer doesn't seem to be working. how annoying. i'll ring the support people & see if there's a fix for that which doesn't involve sending it away again.

10. ferrous

okay. looking into this further, i can't see how i send things from my computer via bluetooth. it could be just because of the bluetooth issue, but there doesn't even seem to be a right-click option to send things via bluetooth.

i tried it with a simple .txt file on my desktop. no dice. some clues, please?