Ubuntu USB sync m500

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by jamesbennetdotcom, Jan 22, 2012.

1. jamesbennetdotcom

jamesbennetdotcom Mobile Evangelist

I can sync my serial IIIx with Ubuntu, but not my USB m500 - how do i get jPilot to detect it?

2. jglen490

jglen490 Mobile Evangelist

Look in the Preferences screen, Settings tab. It should refer to a "/dev" link to a USB device. IIRC it needs to be an odd numbered device name like USB1

3. jamesbennetdotcom

Huh, I just left it at usb: and it started working once I used the cradle's sync button instead of the cable + soft-button in the hotsync app. Wierd. I had also rebuilt pilot-link and jpilot, maybe that had something to do with it.

4. jglen490

Just goes to show; with Linux there's more than one way up the mountain!

5. jamesbennetdotcom

Quite pleased with jPilot, very similar to palm desktop. Cant get gnome-pilot to sync with Evolution, so this does the trick instead. Syncs, backs up, and can also use pilot-xfer to install .pdbs, so what more do you need :)

6. jglen490

I run Kubuntu 10.04 LTE and sync my Zire 31 with Jpilot. However, I am pretty much in love with Thunderbird/Lightning as my email/PIM app, so from time to time I export the calendar and address data from Jpilot and pick it up in T-Bird. That requires manual intervention (remove old Z31 cal, then add new Z31 cal) to keep from getting dupes. I hate it that Kpilot is no longer in development. But it's all worth it!

7. jamesbennetdotcom

Yeah im on Ubuntu, but the newest one - No gnome pilot :( as it hasnt been updated for Gnome3.

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

Gnome-pilot always worked for me, as did j-pilot. With j-pilot, you can use usb:any, or if the Palm has wifi, you can use net:any, and sync via wifi. That's the way I did it most of the time. Of course, that won't work with older Palms without wifi capability. With gnome-pilot, you should be able to have it auto-detect the Palm and sync. I usually used that for finding the proper settings to put in j-pilot, which isn't as user-friendly for setup. I have no experience with gnome-pilot in Gnome3, because I abandoned Gnome when it hit Debian Sid. I don't like the interface, and it's unbearably slow. It's like being on a Windows machine again. I went to Xfce, and I'm mostly happy with it. I do boot to Gnome Classic, which is the fallback similar to Gnome2 every now and then, but it's still not my favorite.

9. jamesbennetdotcom

For me, GNOME3 is about as fast as Ubuntu was with Gnome 2, and the graphics are much faster than on KDE - Im on integrated Intel HD, so not exactly an amazing chipset.

Not a huge fan of GNOME3's UI, but far better than KDE4 and the search works really well - That was the one thing i disliked about Gnome2 compared to Windows, the poor search.