TX with Kirrio(PalmOne) gps cradle

Discussion in 'Palm TX' started by adam100, Dec 10, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. adam100

adam100 Mobile Enthusiast

Hello,

I've been using a Kirrio gps cradle with my Palm TX and viamich software supplied but I have been thinking about upgrading this software to Tomtom Navigator. To see if the cradle was compatible with tomtom I tired using my friends TX - he has bought the navigator software (5 or 6 - I can't remember which it was) and has it installed. However, I couldn't get his tomtom software to recognise my PalmOne cradle (apparently made by Kirrio).

So my questions are:

1. Is it possible to run tomtom navigator on a TX using a Palmone (Kirrio) GPS cradle? If so, how do I get the software to recognise the cradle?

2. Would the tomtom navigator software installed on a TX recognise a bluetooth GPS system, such as the BT-338 (etc)? Has anyone tried this?

Any advice or help with questions 1/2 would be much appreciated,

Thanks,

Adam.

ps. I did a little internet searching, and someone said you should set tomtom to ''Other NMEA Cable' Baud rate 19200 com port 1", but I guess this must have been for a PC-PDA, since you can't select 'com port 1' for palm TX?

2. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

By cradle, I assume you mean the GPS connection. I think you're saying TomTom won't recognize the Kirrio GPS. Have you told TomTom what type GPS you have? You also have to tell the Kirrio GPS to use NMEA protocol, however that is done. I don't use that type GPS. I use Mapopolis with a Garmin Legend, either through a cable or via a bluetooth adapter, and IME you have to use NMEA for almost every third-party program. There are various GPS protocols around, including Garmin for transferring waypoints, routes, and tracks to and from Garmin GPS units, and each manufacturer seems to have its own, but NMEA is a standard, and most software will work with it. How to change the protocol in a mouse-type GPS can vary, but generally through the software program. You need to read the TomTom manual for the required settings. TomTom should certainly work with bluetooth devices, but I don't know the settings you would need. The manual should have the details.

3. adam100

Thanks for your reply - yes that's what I meant - the Tom Tom software wouldn't recognise the Kirrio GPS, and I just got 'no gps device' despite selecting (in the configure settings) that I was trying to connect via the 'Palm gps cradle'. My cradle says palmOne on it (Model 6120), but it came with a Kirrio instruction manual. I also tried selecting 'Other NMEA Cable' and tried every Baud rate, including 19200, but it still would pick up a gps signal. I have no idea how to tell Kirrio GPS to use NMEA protocol - i thought that would be its default?

If anyone knows of a fix for this, or whether indeed it is possible to use tomtom on this cradle please let me know. In the meantime, I might email the Tomtom customer sevice,

Thanks again,

Adam.

4. bighandluke

bighandluke Mobile Enthusiast

I bought a Tungsten T5 and a Kirrio 6120 GPS cradle for my son. I was not pleased with the ViaMichelin software and had an old copy of TomTom (V5).

The set up of the GPS cradle and software puts a utility onto the Palm, something like "GPS Utility" you can check when you install. Once that is on the Palm and run, the GPS cradle picture shows in the GPS configuration screen on the Palm with TomTom. Select that and it picks up the GPS signal and starts to work.

The Cradle is not a bluetooth one but works through the palm connector which, by the way, also amplifies the voices through the cradle's speaker, there were no options to change baud rate etc, just worked straight away, but you have to have run the GPS utility. I guess you may be able to copy that from your Palm and run it on any other it seems that it is a standard .prc app.

I think for the palm, I use a number of different Bluetooth GPS receivers and TomTom 6 on my TX and Lifedrive, the cradle is by far the most elegant solution for the palm TX form factor device

5. SGosnell

SGosnell Palm Pilot

The Kirrio may well default to NMEA and it may not be possible to change it. I don't know. I haven't used TomTom, so take whatever I say about it with a grain of salt. I use Mapopolis, and that finds whatever GPS I use, either cable or bluetooth. It knows all bluetooth devices I've communicated with, and gives me a dialog to select the correct one. If I have selected a serial GPS in the setup, then it finds the GPS immediately. There should be some setting in TomTom to select the type GPS, either serial or bluetooth or IR (there are IR GPS receivers available, but they're not that common).

6. adam100

Thanks for the advice - in the TomTom configuration settings you can select to connect via serial GPS ('Other NMEA Cable'), but it still won't find the Kirrio gps device. It sounds like Mapopolis is much more universal in terms of what hardware it will recognise! Despite emailing TomTom support 3 days ago, I'm still waiting on their response (despite there promise to reply within 2 working days - grrr!),

Adam.

7. bighandluke

Have you tried installing viamichelin WITHOUT the maps, just the basic program. This will install five programs (gpsutility.prc[68k], MapSonic.prc[33k], MapSonicNVFSCleaner.prc[2k], MapSonicSync.prc[6k] and NVBLib.prc[7k]). Then run the "gpsutility" on the palm. The GPS cradle will then appear in the GPS device preferences of TomTom and you can then chose it from the menu!! Once that is done it WILL work.

You may want to use a palm utility and copy the files to a spare card and delete the mapsonic files, I think they may not be needed, I left them on my son's palm as they only take up 41k. Memory is not an issue with him.

I did the above plugged in the palm and it worked

8. adam100

bighandluke - thanks a lot for your advice - I found a similar post saying to leave the two programs NVBLib.prc[7k] and gpsutility.prc[68k] on the palm, so I tried that - which almost worked! With these two programs installed, the palm does recognise the cradle speaker (which is useful to hear instructions over the engine noise), but I still couldn't get it to pick up the gps device through TomTom. I'll try again with the mapsonic files and see if that works!

If you are interested in what TomTom had to say:
    We would like to thank you for your message to TomTom Customer Support.

Your PocketPC type is currently not compatible with TomTom NAVIGATOR 6. We cannot, unfortunately, guarantee that your PDA type will work free of problems in combination with our latest software. Please see the FAQ below for a list of compatible devices:

We are, however, continuously testing devices to find a method to use our software on these devices. Only when we conclude that a device will work without problems after extensive testing will we say it is suitable and add it to our compatibility list.

It is possible that a device does not have the required capacity to work with our software due to, for example, a shortage of memory or a processor that is too slow. It is also possible that a PocketPC that was suitable in a previous version is no longer suitable in the new version in part because of the quickly expanding computer market.

To determine which devices are suitable for use with TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 please follow these steps:
    1. Go to http://www.tomtom.com/products/
    2. Click on "PDA/MOBILE Navigation"
    3. Click on the Navigator 6 pack you are interested in, e.g NAVIGATOR 6 - Software & Maps of Western Europe on DVD
    4. Click on the 'Features' tab to view the compatibilty list for that Navigator 6 pack.

The information on this page is regularly updated. If your PocketPC is found to be suitable at a later stage, you will find this information on this page.

Please do not hesitate in contacting us should you require more information.
    Please contact us should you have any questions or suggestions.

Kind regards,

TomTom Customer Support Team

Pretty unhelpful really, especially when loads of people are already using TomTom 6 with the palm TX, you can buy it in the shops for the palm TX, and even PcPro reviewed the combination a few months ago:
    http://www.pcpro.co.uk/labs/88721/palm-tx.html

Adam.

9. bighandluke

Adam,

Palm Support, like most others, will only offer advice on what they have officially said are "guaranteed" tested by them.

Check the tomtom gps configurator and see if it shows the Kirrio cradle, if not try putting on the other three programs, not the maps, and see if that works.

Failing that you could revert to TT5 as I know that works.

10. xj-boonie

xj-boonie Mobile Deity

Adam,

That review is actually for TomTom 5. I use TomTom 5 too, and got a notice that they have released an new version, Tomtom 6 with the newest maps, but it appears that they are only supporting the smart phones. On TomTom's website, they list these models as compatable: Treo 650, Treo 700W, Treo 700P. As far as I can tell, the TX uses the same OS, cpu, etc. as the 700P, so it would seem to work..... Maybe I'll plop down the $50 (upgrade price) and try it out. I am pretty frustrated with the out-of-date maps, and am thinking of going with the Garmin Mobile 10, but it'd be a bunch more $$....

11. bighandluke

Seen a lot of guys in other forums using TT6, and they seem to have no problems with running it on the TX

12. ArtisBev

ArtisBev Newbie

Adam,
    I grabbed the Viamich package just because of Bluetooth GPS receiver (BT-GPS-XXXXXX). It was the cheapest option for me besides I got the "cradle" for my TX. I say "cradle" because I don't see any other functionality of the Kirrio thingy than just hold&charge (I am talking about my Viamich package with Bluetooth Kirrio, no idea about serial GPSes).
    As I had TomTom 5.120 (5200) already installed on my TX I just configured it to use "other GPS device". It took 5 minutes to open ViaMich package, find the secret password for BT connection in user manual and that was it. I didn't expect this will be so easy. TomTom brings up the discovery list of BT devices and allows you to choose your BT from the list. Of course you should add your BT GPS to Trusted devices list first as there is this seceret password to access device.

I have never tried to Nav with the ViaMich software as it had UK maps with it but use my Nav in Baltics. I put aside the SD card with the original software once I opened the package :)

Any other questions?

13. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hello ArtisBev, welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D
    Thanks for this input. I am also a happy Viamichelin user (still using it on my T3, not sure yet when I will migrate the package to my 680, if ever ...)

14. pcables.com

pcables.com Mobile Consultant

There are many good mapping programs available such as Mapopolis Navigator which works on Palm OS with a serial port. If you have a serial GPS, such as a serial Garmin, an Earthmate, or Magellan, then it will work with it. You will need a serial cable for your Palm Pilot. Most modern Palms will work with the PDC65-M9-47HT-6 from this page:
    http://www.pcables.com/cat1.html
    This type of setup (Palm pilot -> serial adapter -> serial GPS) is actually very solid and easy to set up and get working with your NMEA GPS.

15. MarcusPro

MarcusPro Newbie

Hi
    I have installed gpsutility.prc and NVBLib.prc, the cradle can be found by ViaMichelin software and in the GPS Utility, but nether TT5 or TT6 can find the cradle.
    TT6 even got Navigation Companion in it's configuration.

Anybody got some more tips than been already said?
    Which version of gpsutility? (I used 1.5)

Br Marcus