TX/T3 sharing address/calendar data ?

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by voytek, Sep 14, 2017.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Sounds like you have a software or driver problem. Have you tried uninstalling PalmDesktop and any USB driver for PalmOS devices you may have? A clean install could solve these problems. On my desktop computer with Win10 64-bit I have PalmDesktop 6.2. and the Accecca drivers installed and they work fine. Cable sync is slow, after all that is technology from more than a decade ago. My TX now syncs in about 30 seconds, but since it's no longer my main device I don't find it painful :)

voytek and jigwashere like this.
  2. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

thanks, I guess I must've installed this in the past, it's slowly coming back, (I guess that's why I had 1GB SD in T3s, and 2GB SD in TXs)

it's taking about 30 secs on WiFi, but 10x that on cable, and, I think around 40 secs on bt, though, few times Palm complained about open port on bt

also, fwiw, this PC is terribly underpowered, 4GB W10/64

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  3. raspabalsa

Be sure to check which conduits are enabled, and if any one of them takes too long to sync. Usually the Media conduit is the one that takes longest, because back then Palmdesktop would do on-the-fly recoding of videos. Better set the Media conduit to "Do nothing".

voytek, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.
  4. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

on PC, I have DateB/AddressB/ToDo/Memo/Backup
    disabled others

on TX, I have Address/Bluetooth/Calendar/Chequebook/Contacts/DateBook/DateBk6/Hours/MempPad/Memos/NotePad/pFuel/Prefs
    disabled others

on bluetooth, 50~40 secs
    on WiFi, 25 secs
    on cable, 270secs (220secs on backup)

it spends most time on backup, seems to backup/lists all apps, several times ? though, in log, show 220 seconds, shows only 1 file,

but, there are 300+files, 13MB, in backup folder, I guess it copies all, even though only lists 'saved pref'

anyhow, that's not an issue as such

5. raspabalsa

Under normal conditions the Backup conduit compares files in the Palm's internal memory against those stored in the computer's backup folder. When it detects that the Palm has a newer version of a file, it copies such file to the computer. "Normal conditions" means that the Backup conduit is set to "Handheld overwrites desktop", meaning changes in the Palm overwrite whatever is saved in the computer. How long the backup process takes depends on how much data has changed since the previous hotsync. This is one of the reasons why a few posts back I recommended to disable the Backup conduit (set it to "Do nothing") when syncing different devices. If you hotsync the T3, then its contents will be saved to the computer. If you then sync the TX, the conduit will see that the backup set doesn't match the TX's contents, and will backup everything again to the computer. Hotsync the T3 again, another mismatch, repeat backup, etc. However, I find it strange that your hotysnc log shows only the "Saved prefs" file. Usually it shows every file that has been backed up. You can check actual changes by opening the backup folder in your computer and checkign file modification dates, see which ones are actually copied again during a hotsync.

6. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

Thanks. At the moment, I'm only synching TX.
    (I've synched one T3, but to a different synch name)

On the upside, it seems I can copy CalendarDB-PDat.pdb file between TX>T3 as well as the other way for transferring calendar events back and forth between devices (copying address book file didn't work).

I didn't disable backup as I want Hours and Checkbook data files to backup, but I'll try that

Ill check backup file dates,

Thanks again

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  7. raspabalsa

There's a somewhat convoluted way to share address book records between both devices: using PalmDesktop export them, then import them to the other device. Since you're using different hotsync names, you can enter the first user on PalmDesktop, go to the Address Book section, and then select and export the records and fields you want. The result will be a .csv file that can be then imported to the user, or to any other address book app or service. In fact, this is how you migrate from Palm to Android, Outlook, iPhone, etc. After importing to the second user's hotsync user, do a hotsync to transfer the new data to the second device.

8. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

thanks, I've already copied address book file on PC/palmdesktop tx's dir to t3's dir, and, have a copy of address book in t3 'format;, and, I do not expect or have Palm address book change much or often, it's the calendar that I care for.

(must try copying the address book pdb from T3 to a T3, just to check)

meanwhile, according to 'dir' command, great majority of backup was done on 8/9/2017, and, last two synchs:

19/09/2017 10:06 PM 425 NetworkDB.PDB
    19/09/2017 10:06 PM 940 CRC18-HRSH.PDB
    20/09/2017 04:10 PM 2,407 ConnectionMgr50DB.PDB
    20/09/2017 04:10 PM 279,030 psysLaunchDB.PDB
    20/09/2017 04:10 PM 1,210 Queries.PDB
    21/09/2017 12:04 PM 7,965 p1Per_StateDB.PDB
    21/09/2017 12:04 PM 18,038 p1Per_SkinDB.PDB
    21/09/2017 12:04 PM 1,087 OnCall18-HRSH.PDB
    21/09/2017 12:04 PM 1,637 TIS18-HRSH.PDB
    21/09/2017 12:14 PM 30,429 Saved_Preferences.PRC

thanks again

also, one of my spare TXs seems to be holding battery level well (but, has badly offset digitizer...), maybe I'll swap battery;
    two of T3s seem to be holding battery level (under no usage...)

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

As I recall, Palm changed the contacts database on the TX, adding more custom fields and maybe other changes. My memory is foggy, but look on the TX for both an address file and a contacts file. You might be able to copy one of those to the T3. Again....My memory Palm isn't the best, so good luck!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

raspabalsa, lelisa13p and RickAgresta like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I did a little more research and think that you might need to copy both addressdb and contactsdb files from the TX to the T3. Can anyone confirm?

RickAgresta likes this.