TX/T3 sharing address/calendar data ?

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by voytek, Sep 14, 2017.

1. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

my TX has developed a problem where the battery charges in almost an instant, from zero to full

that wouldn't really be such a problem if it wasn't also accompanied by similarly fast discharge, from full to zero.

so, just thinking, have several T3s, don't really need/use anymore WiFi on Palm, maybe I should start using a T3 (probably my fav Palm)

I've synched TX, copied address book and calendar file (one for each) on desktop into T3, that works OK except for categories are missing

I've copied TXs address book and calendar file on SD to T3, calendar worked, address failed.

any other suggestions ? ideally, I would like to be able to share both ways, use either unit as desired.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

The symptoms on your TX mean that the battery has reached the end of its lifetime and is failing to hold a charge. The battery can be replaced, restoring your TX to working condition. If you want to try this, contact Chris Short at Palm Dr.. He can quote you a new battery including the installation.

As for the PIM data, I think the best way to transfer from one Palm to another is via hotsync. I don't quite follow what you said above, first you synced address book and calendar, then you copied the files to the SD card? Didn't hotsync transfer address book from TX to desktop then to T3? I'd be careful in syncing both ways. If you plan to keep doing this, be sure the Backup and System conduits are disabled, and only keep the PIM conduits enabled. That way you don't run the risk of installing T3-specific data on the TX and viceversa.

If syncing or copying the databases does not work, you can try beaming the contacts from TX to T3. It's slow and manual, but will get your data from one device to the other.

lelisa13p, voytek and jigwashere like this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

To clarify a bit, the issue is transferring T3 preferences to the TX. If I recall correctly, two of the preference files on the T3 caused issues on the TX. Am I remembering correctly, Raspy?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, voytek and raspabalsa like this.
  4. raspabalsa

Yes jig, the main issue was transfering two files used by the T3 for the DIA area. The T3 requires those files to display and collapse the DIA, and they were released as a fix, so they reside on RAM rather than ROM and are backed up to the computer during hotsync. But on other devices those two files could produce problems. Still, I think other problems could arise due to the saved preferences file. I could be wrong, though. A backup of both units before syncing would allow recovery if something breaks down.

lelisa13p, voytek and jigwashere like this.
  5. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

thanks, guys. Two or more of my TXs are refurbs I've bought from Chris few years ago.
    I have several TXs and several T3s, currently assessing battery conditions, as I don't really use email and WiFi anymore, I was thinking maybe I should stop using TX and use T3 instead, my main use is diary and contacts
    and, along the thought was RATHER than one time data transfer can I use one-of-several Palms "to spread the wear and tear across the pool of hardware"
    so, currently I'm just testing on T3 with different ways of data transfer, copying PDB across, then, delete, copying PC desktop files, then sync, then delete, etc

thanks for all thoughts above, I was aware of DIA 'sync dangers', wasn't aware I can avoid it with excluding backup etc, I'll try some more

on Win10 hotsync 7.02 keep crashing, need to keep re starting after every sync, any workarounds ?

also, is anyone using either PHEM or (I think it's ) StyleTap emulator apps on Android, curious if these are 100 solid, I have PHEM but never really used apart from playing

[??all in all, T3 is a nicer device in daily use, perhaps I should just start using T3??... decisions, decisions]

6. raspabalsa

The T3 used to be my favorite device for several reasons: the collapsing slider made it very compact, the metal outer shell made it look premium, and RAM-based storage made it very fast. But it had its weaknesses too: battery was too small for such a powerful device, being RAM-based meant running the risk of losing data if battery went flat, and the D-pad had IMO a weird design, not very good for playing games. The TX has IMO several advantages: non-volatile storage, more storage, larger endurance on a single charge, and WiFi. I used the T3 but upgraded to a TX and I still have one fully functional TX and two more for spares, plus a disassembled T3. I think the non-volatile storage is a very strong point to consider. Often My TX has remained unused for over a year and all its contents are intact, I just have to charge it, set the clock, and it's ready for use.
    I'd prefer to spread the wear across devices of the same model, so parts can be exchanged if needed. The only parts that can be exchanged between TX and T3 are the screen and digitizer.
    If your Windows is 64-bit, try the 64-bit drivers for PalmDesktop, and install PalmDesktop 6.2. You can download both (and a lot of other apps too) from Hook's Palm TX Help Links.

voytek and jigwashere like this.
  7. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

thanks
    yes, I appreciate TX's advantages, that's why I have just jumped back to T3... with TX I seldom synch - which when/if I synch after 6 or 9 month causes all kind of duplications, etc...
    have 6.2.2 PalmD by Access and Acceca's 2011? drivers, not sure how to tell Acceca's version

8. raspabalsa

Sorry, I don't know how tell if you have the Acceca drivers. You can try simply installing them, that's what I've done, and I've not seen any unwanted effects.

voytek likes this.
  9. voytek

voytek Mobile Deity

I meant I don't know how to tell the version of Aceca

anyhow, some 'progress': HotSync seems to crash *if* I open in foreground and, use menu to switch user/settings, if I don't I think it stays alive/working for subsequent synch;
    cable synch is painfully slow, Wifi is fast, haven't tried optimizing or timing bluetooth yet (on TX)
    if I copy over address book file, T3 does a Phoenix, BUT, copying over calendar pdb file from TX to T3 just works
    (like, copy CalendarDB-PDat.pdb TX>T3 seems to work flawless)

couldn't make a directory on T3 2GB SD card, is T3 limited to 1GB SD or something like that, I wonder

10. raspabalsa

The T3 is limited to 1.5GB SD cards. If you install the FAT32 driver then the T3 will read 2GB cards, but still won't be able to write to them.

The TX has a native FAT32 driver, so it can read/write to SD cards larger than 2GB. But it can't use SDHC cards by itself, unless you install the SDHC driver from Palmpowerups.

RickAgresta, jigwashere and voytek like this.