TX died today... (1/15/07) - DEAD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Aww shucks. Aren't I supposed to get a stale doughnut or something with this medal? Oh, this is the stale doughnut.

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

<Hook pouts because this thread was supposed to be about making him feel better...> ;)

Joking. Congrats, PDAB. You deserve it.

(But I'd be suspicious of the donut-- donuts don't usually last long enough here to get stale...) :D

3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

I'm sorry, Hook, you're quite right. You need something to take your mind off not having your palm with you. How can we help then? :)

Hook likes this.
  4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

How nice of you to ask! :)

<Hook wanders off smiling, requiring no more than a little attention to put a smile on his face.>

Did someone say cheap and easy? :rolleyes:

5. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Oh. I was going to do a little dance for you. Ah well. As long as you're happy. :) <Nine carefully folds up the seven veils and puts them back in the Brighthand dressing-up cupboard>

Hook likes this.
  6. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Pretty skimpy veils there, Nine.
    <PDA Bach also feels a bit guilty and starts dressing in the veils muttering things about how sorry everyone else is ABOUT to be.>

7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Yeah... actually, that's a roll of toilet tissue you're using there. The veils were behind it. :rolleyes:

8. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

I'm late...as usual, but CONGRATS PDA Bach! You look darn good to be 100! :p I must say, it looks good on ya, *Hi Five*

9. mareofearth

mareofearth Leaver of Hoofmarks

:rolleyes: Thank you all for the welcome.

As for how my dad ran over his LifeDrive with his car - I will relate the full story to entertain Hook. :)

The week after Christmas, the store that we frequent that has such good deals got in a Palm TX. I had a LifeDrive, that my dad constantly commented that he wanted one, and the LifeDrive was more than I needed, so I told dad that if he bought me the TX for $100., he could have my LifeDrive. Five minutes later, I owned a very nice TX :)

So, after we got home, dad and I migrated all of his T3 info over to his LifeDrive (gods but I hate Hotsync sometimes). After reinstalling the Palm Desktop (again and again and again) we got it all synced and working. On Dec. 30th, we headed over to check our favorite store again, stopped at another store, and headed home. Halfway home, dad realises that his LifeDrive was no longer on his belt. After checking the car, we called the last store we were at, who said that yes, they had it, and that dad had run over it as we were leaving. Luckly, the store has a gravel parking lot, so the blow was glancing, but after driving back to the store, we found that the screen was broken and the power switch was half popped out.
    So, we got home and took it apart to assess damage. Other than a little denting on the case, the power switch tab on the motherboard had snapped off, and of course the lcd was broken. So, we took apart dad's T3 anf stole it's lcd, attemted a fix on the power switch, straightened out the case, and put it back together. It powered on, and everything worked except the power switch and the led indicator at the top. Then we tried to sync it, which didn't work - the computer said USB device not recognised. So, we tinkered with Hotsync to see if we could figure it out - no luck. A day or so later, I ran across a guy on another board whose Device ID under info>version had dissappeared. I checked the LifeDrive - behold! no Device ID.
    I tried to figure out how to fix that problem, while dad found that mouser.com carries the same power switch that the LifeDrive has for about $1.30 each, so he ordered a few new ones, and in a stressful manouver, we swapped out the interior of the original power switch for the interior of one of the new switches - which worked great! (I got to do all the manual labor in this enterprise - smaller hands, younger eyes, and experience. yay.)
    A few days later, still unable to sync, I found an ebay auction for a new case with connectors, a motherboard and a battery - buy it now for $45.00 plus $5. shipping. So, dad and I bought the parts, got them in last Saturday, and assembled the "new" LifeDrive, using the T3 screen and the original MicroDrive. After assembling it, nothing happened. And I mean nothing. No chirp of power up, just dead brick.
    So, I tried a hard reset. Upon which I discovered that the new part of the case that has the reset switch had no reset switch. So, we took the LifeDrive apart again, and reassembled it using the original part of the case with the reset switch, and the new front and back bezels.
    Still nothing.
    So, after taking it apart AGAIN, cleaning all the connectors, putting it all back together - STILL NOTHING!! ARGH!!!
    At which point we said the hell with it, plugged it into the charger on an off chance, and started cleaning up.
    Five minutes later the damn thing booted up perfectly. And, as stated in my previous post, dad says it works better than the old one.
    After examining the old motherboard, one of the black chips had come apart - the top had popped off of it, and from what dad could tell, it was part of the power circuitry, which would account for no leds and the drained battery. We are guessing that the same circuit powers the embedded Device ID, which is why the computer couldn't recognise it.

Also, as for the belt clip that broke, it was this special, ultra durable PDA case that is made for contractors, which we paid quite a bit for at Lowe's. Dad contacted the company, and he is supposed to send in the broken case and the receipt, and thay are going to do their best to make it good. We will see how they do.

Well Hook, hope this makes you feel better! :D
    Mare

Hook likes this.
  10. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

:eek: :eek: WOW!! That's some story! Glad it all worked out! ...btw, welcome to BH! :)