TX died today... (1/15/07) - DEAD

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Hook, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Note: My TX died (mid-January 2007), was repaired (warranty repair from Staples), died again (early February 2007), was repaired again and seemed to work except that the digitizer was flakey, I think due to rough handling in the repair (there was physical evidence). I had Shawn Lux at usedpdaparts.com install a new digitizer (and what a great experience that was) and then in late April (no connection) my TX died again and was repaired again. I have just gotten it back and it is working the best it has since 2006. All of these repairs have been done for free under a brick-and-mortar store product protection plan, not by Shawn Lux, but since they have never identified what the problem was or what they have done to repair it, I have no assurance that it won't happen again*. If you are looking for serious information about a TX failure, I just gave it to you, there is nothing much more that is valuable anywhere in this long thread (trust me).

However, while I was going through all this a bunch of the funny, crazy and dear folks around here would stop in to console and distract me and it evolved(devolved) into a wacky ever-tangential conversation. And we just keep on going... ;) Feel free to join us or just ignore the whole thread.

*Update (1/15/08)-- it did happen again, and on the anniversary of this whole thing. Exasperated and frustrated, with the warranty from Staples gone, I sent Hookette off to Usedpdaparts for a makeover. :rolleyes:

The good news. She is finally fixed. The problem was solved by replacing the motherboard (PCB) giving me a brand new PDA (performance-wise) for about $100 (PCB plus new battery) :newpalm:

I should have gone to Shawn Lux at Usedpdaparts.com from the beginning!

Update 06/02/2009: I still use this thread to keep folks up to date on Hookette and as an excuse to play and have fun. Hookette is semi-retired now, replaced by Pino, but this will always remain Hookette's thread. I plan on having Hookette around a very long time and all road trips to shawn will be documented here. ;)

-------------------------------------------------
    I got my TX for Christmas 2005 and I am one of those who never had a lick of trouble from it. No reset loops, no screen whine, no resets from Blazer, etc.

Yesterday, my TX wouldn't power on no matter what I did: power button, hard button, pulling SD in and out, reset button. I brought it home and did an "in-cradle" reset and it came back, battery was fine and worked ok the rest of the night.

Today, it happened again, only this time the "in-cradle" reset didn't work either. Nothing to do but return it.

The good news was that I had bought it with a Staples 2 year product replacement plan. The bad news is, in the move, I lost the paperwork.

Well, good news after all-- I called Staples customer service and with my old phone number and they were able to pull up all the info and they are sending me a new unit, no questions asked. Will get to me in about 3 business days.

This is the second time the sometimes maligned brick and mortar store Product Protection Plans have saved my hash-- it got my T2 a new Motherboard and battery 2 weeks before the two year plan ended. And I love having never had to deal with Palm customer support.

Speaking of my T2, I guess I'll pull it out, sync it and use it for the next week. Be kind of fun, trip down memory lane, but I will be very happy when I have a TX again.

By the way, I have no idea what killed the TX, The last two programs I loaded and played with was the IBM Java engine and Opera Mini. I don't actually think they had anything to do with it --probably some battery circuit went south, I don't know much about electronics-- but you can bet those two apps won't be going on my new TX ;)

Don't tell my T2, but I miss my TX already...

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    RickAgresta likes this.
  2. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

My guess is that the battery died. They sometimes do that. Just a guess from long distance, though.

3. dogbarber

dogbarber No one in particular...

Sorry Hook....stinks don't it?!

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

:eek: The horror! I can't imagine the lonliness...here, <OHD hands her TX over to Hook> You wanna play with mine for a little while? :)

RickAgresta likes this.
  5. minimalposter

minimalposter some call me ... mp

Sorry to hear Hook. I never purchase the warrenty plans but your story is making me think otherwise. On the bright side you will have a brand new T|X AND you get to play with OHD for awhile. Very lucky man. Careful, she is a card shark! ;)

RickAgresta likes this.
  6. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

ROTFL:p :p :p :p After I hit "submit" I just KNEW the next person was going to say something like that....but it still cracks me up!!:p :p :p

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. cassidy0423

cassidy0423 Bad Robot

<cassi hands Hook a ginormous bag of M & M's. She can't imagine how sad Hook must be, but chocolate makes everything feel better>

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
    RickAgresta likes this.
  8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Aargghh, Hook, ye scurrvy dog! 'Tis a travesty, by my word! :mad:

Blessed be the bounty called an Extended Warranty! :cool:

RickAgresta likes this.
  9. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Tis terrible to hear Hook, glad you have the warranty.

Do you have to send the toes-up TX back to Staples?

10. mansfield

mansfield Palm Enthusiast

Hook's story is a reminder of the ethereal nature of happiness when we have too much wrapped up in gadgets. Crossing my fingers that the stability of MY happiness is not tested similarly.