TX crashes upon being disconnected after hotsync

Discussion in 'Sync (Windows/Palm OS)' started by antonm, Jan 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. antonm

antonm Earthling

I've done a search and not found an answer there, so I hope someone might be able to point me in the right direction?

When I pull the plug out of my TX after having hotsynced, the TX crashes (screen blanks out, no buttons work). It's easy enough to get going again by pushing Reset in the back, but I'd love to know what's causing it.

I'd be most grateful for any guidance.

[The TX is fairly new, having been bought off eBay ± 6/12 ago -- allegedly unused, and it did look new -- bought because my 1st TX needs to go off for a new digitiser, on/off button, etc. I've had no other problems with it. I'm using the new Desktop, simply because Pimlico said so i.r.o. DateBk6.1a,s0 and Pimlical, but I had this problem with the original Desktop too, and before upgrading to DateBk6.1. I've been much more careful about what software I've installed on this TX, so as to avoid rogue apps as far as possible. I'm using WinXP Pro SP2.]

2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Does the hotsync complete without a hitch?

3. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

My first thought could be a static discharge (ESD), depending on your local climate and conditions.

Another possible cause could the Hotsync button is being depressed while removing the Hotsync cable. This is what I believed caused my unit to behave in similar manner a couple of times. (I do not sync very often, rely more on NVBackup to SD card, just have not loaded desktop to current XP platform.)

I would not think DB 6 would be the cause of this issue.

4. antonm

antonm Earthling

Thanks for your quick replies, Hook and BAB.

Hook, Hotsync completes all processes successfully except Backup, which consistently produces one (apparently minor) error, which I quote here:
    Failed to backup 1 file(s)
    PmTraceDatabase
    Protocol Error: Handheld file could not be opened. (4004)
    SYNCERR_FILE_NOT_OPEN
    I'm considering actions on that file, as suggested in this outside post. I don't recall, but cannot be sure, whether the same error occurred with the original desktop.

BAB, it could be local static, but I've used TXs in this environment for a few years now, so it seems unlikely. I remove the plug quite carefully each time -- I don't think I do press the button in error, but I'll be extra vigilant next time.

5. Hook

I'm guessing corrupt database. Try scanning with either dbfixit (Pimlico) or Teal scan. dbfixit will tell you the results of the scan for free, but you'll have to pay to fix it. I believe the Teal trial may also fix. I have heard very good things about DBfixit.

6. antonm

antonm Earthling

Hook, I actually hoped dbfixit would fixit, so ran that as soon as I got it (I bought it a couple of years ago, and my licence key is still valid for the latest version). Unfortunately it had nothing to say about PmTraceDatabase, and there seems to be some confusion about that file, and the hotsync backup failure error is a known one! See this, and this, and the fix here!

It looks like that (backup failure error) is not the cause of the crash on disconnect, though.

Edit: Out of curiosity, I hotsynced again after applying the fix. It went without error, and when I removed the plug, very carefully, the TX did not crash! Now -- was it caused by the PmTraceDatabase error, or by not removing the plug carefully enough??

7. Hook

Then I would guess the crash on disconnect doesn't happen with a wifi sync. Have you tried? It would just be good to establish it isn't the hotsync, it is disconnecting the cable.

8. antonm

antonm Earthling

Hook, I've never tried a wifi sync, ever. Does that happen over a "home network"? I've got wireless router which has almost line of sight with an access point into which my PC is cat5'ed. The TX has no trouble connecting to the router (updates time, currency rates, weather, etc., every morning). Or does wifi hotsync require a direct wireless connection to the PC itself? I have managed to view, wirelessly, on the TX the content of shared folders housed on my PC, but only if I totally disable the firewall (Sygate).

9. Hook

It is pretty easy to set up. Make sure hotsync manager has network sync checked as well as USB. On the TX, open hotsync, tap Network, it will offer to find available computers which, in my experience, it always fails to do, but then it will ask you to manually input the ip address of the computer you are syncing with. If you don't know it, pull up a dos box on your computer and type "ipconfig" and press enter. Your gateway will be the IP address that ends in 1, you don't want that. Your computer will be the same address, but ending in 2 or 3 or 4 (depending on how many computers/devices are on the network). Put that number into the TX, ok back out and hit the hotsync button on your TX screen. Once you do a successful wifi hotsync, you'll stick your usb cable in a drawer and forget about it. ;)

The firewall shouldn't be a problem, at least it isn't for me.

10. antonm

antonm Earthling

Thanks for that, Hook. Can't get it to work though :( -- I got the old TX to see shared folders using Wifiles, way back, and it worked well, connecting immediately if the firewall was disabled. I know I've got the IP addy right (I set up my network). If you know of a fix, off the top of your head, I'd love to try it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.