TX and my Mac

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by tidesong, Oct 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tidesong

tidesong Mobile Enthusiast

Hello! I am new to the PDA world, and just joined this board.

I'm posting because I am having issues with trying to sync my Mac and my Palm TX. Here are the details:

I am running a PowerBook G4 (1.67 GHz) running OSX 10.4.9. For my contacts and calendar, I am using Entourage 2004.

I purchased a used Palm TX from someone on eBay. The only things that were sent were the unit itself (with stylus), the software CD, the serial/USB cable, and a wall power adapter.

Now, I'm trying to figure out how to sync with Entourage. I have installed the Palm Desktop software, looks like it's version 4.2.2. Through Entourage, I have installed the "Handheld Sync Installer" to set up the Entourage Conduit.

Now, using Bluetooth, I somehow managed to get the Mac and the Palm to see each other. But I can't get anything to sync. I've also briefly tried iSync to see if I can at least get Address Book contacts over...but this isn't working either.

I'm rather irritated that I didn't receive a manual with the Palm, but even stuff I am finding online isn't really helping me because I am completely new to syncing a PDA. And, I'm getting very frustrated!

Does anyone have advice on how I can try to get this working? I'm going to Germany in a couple of weeks, and would really like things up and running before I leave so I can take it with me and send out postcards! :)

Thank you so so so much in advance!!

2. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Welcome to Brighthand tidesong.

I have moved your post from the Buy/Sell/Trade forum to the Sync (PalmOS/Mac) forum. I don't have a Mac and have never used Entourage so can't personally help.

Palm does not include paper manuals with devices. There is a PDF on the CD. You can also download from palm.com/support.

Good luck.

3. tidesong

Oh, I am so terribly sorry for posting in the wrong spot. Usually, I'm pretty good about that. Thanks for moving it to a proper place!! And I'll scour the CD for the .pdf.

4. Josser

Josser Mobile Deity

The USB cable will sync the TX to your Mac allot faster than Bluetooth.

5. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

6. Constance

Constance Mobile Deity

I have a MacBook and TX.
    I use Entourage for email and contacts...I use "Sync Entourage-Address Book" to sync my Entourage contacts into (mac) Address Book. Then Address book syncs to my TX using Missing Sync.
    I use iCal for a calendar, not the entourage one.

I don't sync my contacts every day, maybe once a week, and it works for me, though it seems like a lot of hoops to jump through.

I have tried to Bluetooth, with no luck, so I think I'm giving up on it for now.
    Like you, my devices can see each other, but no luck. And then it takes forever for me to get my unit back to syncing via the cable.

Make sure your Bluetooth is completely turned off on your mac and your device's preferences. Go to Connection in your TX Preferences, and make sure you have Cradle/Cable highlighted.

good luck! write back if you have more questions!

7. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

I no longer use Entourage with my new iMac, and I never used BT for syncing, so....

If you double click on the Entourage conduit, you will see a radio button that says something like "Enable syncing on newer devices". Make sure that its selected. My LD wouldn't sync without it.

8. tidesong

Thank you for your reply! Where can I find the "Sync Entourage-Address Book" dialog?

I'm fearing I might have to ditch using the Entourage calendar :/

Thank you again!

9. tidesong

Hiyas. I'm running Entourage 2004, so the conduit was installed via the "Additional Tools" folder under Office. I think if I download the patch for Entourage X, I'll be in a heap of trouble! :)

I just tried to hook up the Palm to my PowerBook using the sync cable that came with the Palm..and nothing seems to happen. I don't get anything on my Mac that would suggest anything external is hooked up. Also, pressing the 'sync' button on the cord doesn't do anything.

So frustrated!

10. AlanG

AlanG Mobile Deity

I wrote about this topic some time ago in my book, the Palm Powered(tm) Desk Reference. Here is the section on setting up Entourage in the hopes that it helps you to get this working.

Entourage Palm Setup

I hope that helps.

Alan G

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.