Two weeks with my Blackberry 8830 WE

Discussion in 'Blackberry' started by r0k, Dec 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r0k

r0k Dazed

Time for an update...

I had a couple of "freezes". One was in the hospital basement beneath the nuclear medicine department where the shielding would probably explain the problem. But the second incident was yesterday while picking over the bones of a closing Circuit City store. Even when the stock in the place was down to like 20% remaining, the prices were within a dollar of the Best Buy across the street. Those liquidators know how to rip you off. You pay $1 less than you would pay across the street but you get an "all sales final no return" policy for your trouble. No thanks. Anyway, my phone rang and I was unable to take the call. I walked outside to get a clear sightline to the cell towers and still no response. Finally, I powered down the phone and powered it back on and all was well but I missed my call. My Filefree was down to 180k. I posted over at CB and ppl suggested I dump the software I was no longer using so Viigo is officially gone as is Eucre Canasta trial and Wordcaster trial. I ended up having to use aerize card launcher to delete some things because it was the only program that could really see everything I had in memory. A couple of resets later and my filefree was up above 11meg. This morning, my filefree is down to 7.6 meg but I left nintai running in the background. In fact, I have about 11 programs running in the background. This is one area where WM would be better. It allows you to explicitly kill running applications from the task list rather than having to rely on the "exit" or "close" menu in each app to really work.

2. palmgeek5394

palmgeek5394 Nokia N800 + HTC Wizard

Slight correction: the default behavior of WM is to minimize the app; the system apps do not have exit buttons and do not always close properly. But there are things like InCloseXE (kinda awkward), WKTask (gives you a launcher, running task list like WinXP does, and looks nice; can kill tasks), and so many Task Manager clones (just like in XP, minus shut down and users) you never know which is which that all allow you to switch to and from minimized apps and kill apps, and if it isn't cooperating, kill its process. :) It's just easier to tap-and-hold>terminate with WKTask.

3. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Eh, I usually just try to dip into task manager once or twice a day and shut down anything still running. Except mobile IE, which for some reason starts to suck down more mb the longer it runs, so I try to shut it down immediately.

4. palmgeek5394

I've configured WKTask to close PIE with the 'x' button to keep it from minimizing, since it does indeed eat all your memory the longer it runs. Unfortunately, it's the only thing that I can run that'll let me log in.

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

Somethin's sprung a leak. I'm down to 6.9 meg but I haven't touched the phone since I had 10 meg. No wait. I viewed an attachment. I bet that left some stuff sitting around in memory...

6. palmgeek5394

Restart and see if that helps. It should at least help stop the memory hemmoraging. ;)

7. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

If not, I am sure the gang here can find a tourniquet.

8. r0k

r0k Dazed

6.6 meg Filefree as of this morning. If it settles and stops dropping, I won't bother with a reset. I just want to see if it will keep going. With all that trialware and Viigo gone, I expect it to settle under normal use. I found a new feature that lists the sizes of all the internal databases. My email, contacts and calendar are among the biggest offenders right now with 1.5 meg, 800k and 300k respectively. There is also something called content store that's eating 500k and the browser cache is eating 300k.

I think I'll go ahead and weed out the contacts I haven't used in a while as well as let the phone reclaim calendar entries older than 2 months. I don't mind my current setting to keep a month's worth of email... yet... but I might just change my on-device email retention policy to 2 weeks.

I just need to find the bottom of the filefree when it stops creeping downward to decide what I should do next. I received another 100k worth of email while I was typing this and my filefree dropped to 6.5 meg. Push email with attachments is something that requires a different approach to memory management that what I've grown accustomed to on PalmOS... I do have my attachments set to go to sd card once I open them but upon delivery, they sit in internal memory. Also, there are some attachments that don't download until I view them so the really huge files shouldn't blow away my phone if somebody attaches their windows swap file thinking they can put me in a reset loop... They can't. ;) The trouble is, I get a lot of jpg and gif images in email and while they are each relatively small, having so many of them is eating up memory.

9. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Yep, with BB, the terms "memory leak" and "battery pull" become commonplace.

10. r0k

r0k Dazed

I got memory back today. During the day, I used gmail and after I was done, Nintai went missing from the list of running applications and I went from 6.5 meg filefree to 8 meg filefree. So apparently gmail is pretty good about 1) booting other running apps out of its way and 2) giving back memory when it leaves. So instead of a battery pull, I just gotta run a search in gmail? Hmmmm...