Two Palms on one Desktop

Discussion in 'Palm' started by mbannon, Jan 17, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mbannon

mbannon Mobile Enthusiast

I have a Z22 and I recently got a Palm III (for $20). I tried installing the software for the III on my desktop - it was "Palm Desktop" and an upgrade to the OS.

It seemed to conflict with the Z22 software. After installing, I could not hot sych the III and the previously working Palm Desktop (the z22 one) would not open. So in effect, neither of the Palms could connect.

I uninstalled everything and reinstalled the Z22 software. Fortunately, it remembered all my data. The Z22 works normally now but I seem to have no way to get data from the computer into the III.

Has anyone had experience with this? Thanks.

2. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Hello,

First of all, you shouldnt have installed the III's Palm desktop. But since you already done that, now you know.

Anyway, I am guessing the III is using the old serial connectior, not a serial to usb adapater? If it is using the serial, just right click on the Hotsync logo on the task bar and choose serial. And thats it. Simple.

JC

3. mbannon

Thanks NetBrakr

I'm a little slow. Yes, it has a serial connection. Right clicking the hot-synch icon gives me the options of:

Local USB
    Local
    Modem
    Network

I synched using "Local" and it went right at it. The problem is that it got stuck part way through. I think it is because the z22 has 20 Mb of RAM available but the III has only 2 (or 8?). There may be too much datafor the Desktop to dump into the III.

Would there be some way to get only selected data to synch into the III?

Edit: I just saw the following post re hot-synch and using the Custom selection. I'll try that.

4. NetBrakr

Wait a minute...Are you trying to use the same ID as your Z22 to your III? If so, THAT IS NOT ADVISEABLE.

JC

5. mbannon

aaaghhhh! Yes, I did that.

I just syched and everything seemed to go OK because I told it in the custom settings to synch only a couple of things.

I left Addit in there because I thought it had something to do with software to add the add-on programs that I want. Now, thinking about it, I believe it is only used for those items I see when I tap Addit on the menu. Is there any problem in deleting Addit altogether? There is nothing in there I want.

I now understand the perfectly obvious - I could have selected a different user name. How can I clear out everything from the III, select a new user name then synch only things associated with that name?

I'll try to figure out how to install data to only one or the other afterwards.

Edit: I suppose I could get a new user name, tell it in Custom for Desktop to override Handheld on everything and that might clear everything out in order to start again.

6. NetBrakr

Just do a hard reset or remove the batteries (for a minute or so) then hotsync it and choose new user.

JC

7. mbannon

I think I have it all done now. Did a hard reset and cleaned everything out.

I've set up a new user name and used the Custom setting in hot-synch to allow only certain things to be synched.

Problem: When I try to synch the III under the new user name, it wants to synch under the Z22 user name. I've tried to find a setting to tell the III to synch with the second user but have been unable to find anything.

Unrelated question: Is it OK to completely delete Addit?

Edit: I've answered my own question by doing another hard reset. It got rid of the user name on the handheld.

8. NetBrakr

Oh cool, so both of your devices are now syncing?

As for addit. Well are you using it? If not, its ok remove it from your computer.

JC

9. mbannon

Yes - everything seems to be working well now. Thanks very much.

I got the III so that I could put some ebooks on it for when I travel. With only 2Mb you can't put much on it after you have installed eReader and one or two books!

10. NetBrakr

Youre welcome.

Yeah, you cant do really much with 2 MB. :(

JC