TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

My two cents...

While Wayward Pines (aka "Village of the Damned on the Planet of the Apes") was far from perfect, it was a nice summer distraction. It was essentially a 10 hour twilight zone episode with philosophical meditations on the old saw about trading freedom for security as well as the dangers of the benevolent dictator. The circular ending with the son waking up to the new future of the first generation was nicely played, though I hope they don't decide to give in to trying a second season. Like any good twilight episode, the point has been made. I even liked the genre drift, which as far as I can tell was quite intentional-- from thriller, to scifi to horror as everything collapses. Then there is the very brief moment when a utopian ending is teased at, until the son wakes up 3 years later to find it totally dashed. As it should have been-- again, like twilight zone, which dealt much more skillfully in touching yet cruel endings (Burgess Meredeth steps on his glasses), a utopian ending would have seemed cheap and cynical.

It was enjoyable, but not something I would go back and rewatch, say like Orphan Black. It was clever, but not brilliant, and kept me engaged although already the memory fades.

lelisa13p and wozofoz like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I avoided this simply because of the M. Night connection. I was too afraid it would be another wild goose chase with a less than satisfying ending.

wozofoz likes this.
  3. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

Just finished watching Season 3 of Orphan Black on DVD last night. As usual, what a ride. I already have next August marked on my calendar. :thumbsup: :newpalm:

4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

wozofoz, BAB2000 and scjjtt like this.
  5. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

Thank you the link. One show that keeps my interest and understand that it can only become darker.

*via Tapatalk

wozofoz likes this.
  6. wozofoz

wozofoz Time Traveller

In March I recommended Orphan Black to some friends in Australia, they have now watched all episodes twice and although they like all the clones they have a special love for Alison and Donnie :vbsmile:

Thanks for the POI link, looks like a great season coming. I hope they get lots of new viewers so the show can continue to it's natural (?) ending :newpalm:

September is a big month, Doctor Who, Gotham, Castle, Once Upon a Time, Agents of Shield. Better stock up on the chocky bickies, there is gonna be some long nights :thumbsup:

All the best, woz of oz

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I started to watch ''The Last Ship'' last year. I didn't know if a show like that could continue into a second season but I was glad it did. It's neat to see the writers continue with the story. I don't think it is a show that will continue for many years but I'm enjoying it while it lasts. Of course there are some episodes on YouTube, which you could somewhat get an idea about it, but I would suggest starting with the pilot episode (which is GREAT) instead of jumping into Season 2.

Check it out if you like drama/action shows!

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Anyone who hasn't heard yet, DroidTV (available thru Amazon -NOT the Playstore), for Android devices running at least version 4, lets you download&watch many TV shows, both network & cable. Only in the US. there's a 2-week trial with all the bells-n-whistles, after that you can only continue with their 'Free TV' category. Both Orphan Black and The Last Ship are available.

9. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

and Vikings.
    [​IMG]

wozofoz and lelisa13p like this.
  10. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

scjjtt, I watch The Last Ship also and actually think the second season might be a little better. It's not a 'serious' show; but a decent action-thriller.

I will probably get to Orphan Black when it's finished and watch it all in a row. I did that with Breaking Bad this summer. (I know, I'm the last person in the Western World to have seen BB.) There are a bunch of shows I haven't gotten to. I think I might binge-watch Dexter next summer (90+ episodes!).

wozofoz and scjjtt like this.