TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Rev, I'm also a big fan of Heartland :vbsmile: since it began. Season 13 was the latest to air for free on regular cable UP-TV (ending in July 2020) and I have been checking Google weekly to determine when Season 14 will be broadcast (soon!) on Comcast UP-HD, usually at 7 AM on Saturdays. (I don't want to subscribe to any more streaming services right now.) I just found some new (to me) info here (Paragraph 5).

RA, if you want to see the answers to the many mysteries of Reddington, Elizabeth and the Blacklist, find the episode that aired this past Wed nite (2 days ago). It laid out in detailed narration the timeline explaining exactly how Elizabeth's life was planned, controlled and executed. It's a fabulous Seasonal penultimate episode! :thumbsup: Season 8 finale, Episode 22, airs next Wed at 10 PM. These last two episodes have moved from Friday to Wednesday and airing at a later time. :vbcool:

RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

lelisa - season 14 is on UpTV but we have to pay $4.99 a month to add it to our Amazon Prime. Each newly air episode becomes available on Thursday. I watched this week's show tonight.

Sent from my moto g stylus using Tapatalk

Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Before getting Netflix, my sister kept nagging me to 'borrow' her Netflix login. It was more out of laziness than rectitude that I didn't do it. Honestly, I already consume an obscene amount of TV and as much as NF has a ton of stuff I want to watch, I don't think I could even watch it. I have a huge backlog of shows I want to watch (partly because some shows I like to 'bank' and watch in full). I have Prime and HBOmax (converted from HBO), plus all the other cable channels and premium movie channels. Plus, I still borrow a lot of BluRays from the library for some series.

SPOILERS

Don't get me started on The Blacklist. It was a great show and still has some great elements, but it's so padded and drawn out that it's ridiculous. This last season is a real joke. Now we find out that Liz's mother (Laila Robins) wasn't her mother. And that's just one of the 'liberties' that the show has taken. Some misdirection is expected, but some things, once stipulated, ought to remain as 'facts.' And then, because the main actress wanted to leave (which I heard about before the last ep. of the season, so the ending wasn't really a surprise), they killed off a large part of the show (this, after she barely appeared for much of the season and parts of last season). END THE SHOW ALREADY! I hate to advocate for something that will cost the jobs of the other actors and crew, but his is kind of 'audience abuse' now. In the early days, when the show was on the bubble every year, I read that Bokenkamp said he already envisioned the ending and if the show were cancelled, he would find a way to bring it to a close, online, in a book, a graphic novel, etc. Now, how is he going to reconcile that with the actress leaving and still satisfying that vision? He couldn't have predicted she'd leave before the end, unless he just got a new actress, which obviously he did not. Plus, I also read that her arc this season was planned with her exit in mind, which the results don't seem to support. I will grudgingly watch it to the end, but I'm very dissatisfied with the experience.

scjjtt, I meant to ask you if you ever watched SIX? It was another of the 3 SEAL-like shows that came out at the same time. It was on the History Channel and in some ways was better than SEAL Team. The similarities of their first seasons was uncanny. It only lasted 2 seasons and I don't know if it's available anywhere, but it was pretty good.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

It came to my attention this afternoon 07/03 that Season 14 of Heartland begins airing this coming Thursday 07/08 at 8 PM on regular cable channel UPHD (Comcast Channel 827) with no extra charge for the first airing (On Demand viewing at a later date requires subscription to the package that includes the channel). The Thursday nite episode repeats the next evening (Friday) at 10 PM, also at no extra charge. YAY! :thumbsup:

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  5. EdmundDantes

I just started watching War of the Worlds on Epix. It's a joint British-French production inspired by H.G. Wells, but departing significantly from it as well. (Recently there was also a 3 episode British miniseries that hewed more closely to WotW, which was mediocre at best in my opinion.)

This one is already in its second season (8 eps. each), but I'm finishing the first. Despite covering territory similar to many post-apocalyptic stories. I think it's pretty good, although I'm beginning to get annoyed when some of the characters do blatantly stupid things, and there are some inconsistencies with how hard it can be to kill the aliens.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  6. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Finally finished Orphan Black (for the third time). How did we ever go 5 yeas waiting a week between episodes and only 10 episodes a year. What a ride it is, what a deeply emotional thriller. I just have more and more respect for how amazingly Tatiana creates so many truly different characters, she and the writers. They called Lon Chaney the man of a thousand faces, but she does it with only minimal makeup. And my heart has been through the wringer. Oh, man, if you have never seen this show, you are missing something special. I'm pretty sure that in about 2 years I'll need another round. :newpalm::thumbsup::vbgrin:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2021
  7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

…not TV exactly, but Rami Malek (lead character in Mr. Robot) will be Bond's antagonist in No Time to Die; scheduled to be released to theaters October 8.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2021
    EdmundDantes, scjjtt, Hook and 2 others like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

just came across this on Youtube: Firefly: the whole story you've never heard before

9. EdmundDantes

Rick, I think Malek's role has been revealed for a while (not a criticism), but it should be a good Bond film. I find Malek's acting to be very uneven. Sometimes he's great and sometimes he's almost cartoonish. I watched him in that Denzel Washington film 'The Little Things,' and wasn't impressed. I also thought the encomia for his performance as Freddy Mercury were way over the top. Except for the teeth, he wasn't very much like Freddy Mercury at all physically, although he made a good effort at absorbing the mannerisms, etc.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  10. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Watched the new DUNE movie on HBO MAX earlier this evening (my son's account :vbwink: ) and really enjoyed it. Did a really good job of balancing being faithful to the book and adapting to a different medium. There isn't much of a dull moment here but there is a lot of set up for what follows (this film is only Part 1), and the story doesn't get as far as you might expect. I've seen some reviews complaining that it is a visual feast but lacks heart, but although I read the book in High School, I recall that that was true of the book as well. A grand epic, fantastic world building, good storytelling and a treat for the eyes. My only real complaint is that for about the first half of the film they did this weird filtering of the dialog where the voices weren't popped into the foreground of the background sounds or the music.

Best SCifi feature film I've seen in a while. :thumbsup: A nice treat for someone not willing to go to a theater.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and lelisa13p like this.