TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

There are three books that always remind me of absent friends: Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's The Little Prince, Richard Bach's Jonathan Livingston Seagull, and Gabriel García Márquez's One Hundred Years of Solitude. The first two have actual farewells, and I must confess I always cry when reading them, especially The Little Prince. This book is part of my vital cycle, I must re-read it every few years. Last time was about 4 months ago, then I gifted the Kindle book to Mrs R, who had never read it before. Next day she wrote me at about 5 AM to tell me she had just read it and was still crying over it. The third book has a part that is more appropiate for the current conversation: one of the main characters stops receiving letters from his friend abroad, then one day he receives a letter by some other person, from the same town where his friend lived. He refused to open the letter, because he knew what news it brought. The letter is left forgotten on a desk, its bad news forever sealed inside. One Hundred Years of Solitude is also part of my vital cycle. Last time I re-read it was about half a year ago. It still brings strong emotions to me, just like the first very time I read it.

I miss woz, and also a lot more friends that used to stop by. I wish them all the best, wherever they may be :)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2021
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Raspa, I haven't read The Little Prince (in French) since high school French class. I'm probably due for a re-read!

Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
    raspabalsa, scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

Speaking of Woz (we were...)

Having finished (finally) all of Battlestar Galactica (shows you how slow a "binger" I am-- 1 or 2 episodes a night), I've decided to hand with the sestras again and am now going through the 5 seasons of Orphan Black. I think this is my third time through, but it has been a while. It holds up to multiple viewings magnificently. And every time I am blown away by the incredible acting tour de force of Tatiana creating all those different characters so distinctly that I forget that they are all the same actress. I know I'm not saying anything new, but it never gets old. I love being back with the sestras!

Curiously, this series is no longer available on Netflix, who I had thought had bought the US distribution rights to the series. It's currently not available on any of the streaming services I have access too. I'm only able to watch it because DroidTV still has it.

I think BBC America has it-- they must have taken it back. Unfortunately, as I don't pay for cable, I don't have access.

Last edited: May 30, 2021
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

Borrow Orphan Black from your local library and rip it with MakeMKV (or HandBrake). Watch at your leasure using VLC Player! :newpalm:

7. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Looks like I'm not much of a binger after all... I finished BSG a week ago, during my week off in Medellin. To my defense, I repeated some of my favorite chapters, most notably the Admiral Cain arc in season 2 and Gaeta's insurrection in season 4. As for the final chapter, it took me about 4 or 5 days to watch, because I kept going over the best parts over and over again. The climatic battle extended for 2 days, and the part where real Six and real Baltar meet their angelic counterparts, well, that one took forever! :newpalm:

I'm not finished yet, because I'm saving the Razor and The Plan movies for a special ocassion. Meaning I haven't started watching other Lucy Lawless (or Bruce Campbell!) material yet.

8. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

My initial introduction to the unique qualities and charms of Bruce Campbell. :vbcool: I watched on network TV back in the day, in real time. :thumbsup: So many wonderful characters: Socrates Poole, Pistol "Don't Touch My Piece" Pete, Lord Bowler (RIP Julius Carry), the lovely Miss Dixie, dastardly John Bly and of course, Comet, the Wonder Horse. :vbgrin: My sister gave the whole series to my BIL for Christmas a few years ago. :vbsmile:

9. Hook

Hook Helga in Disguise!

My son has all 5 seasons on Bluray. DroidTV is just easier and more convenient. :vbwink:

10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta General Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

if you looked at the dates posted for those 2 messages in the thread (this thread, actually), you posted 'Sestras' first.....
    im-just-sayin.jpg