TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

Yea IMO ST:TNG doesn't really hit a stride until Season 3, and even then you get 80% excellent and 20% WTF did I just watch. Sometimes it's so bad it's good ("The Game" featuring a very young Ashley Judd and a crew of people being mind-controlled by a crappy game) and sometimes it's so bad you wonder who hated the cast enough to write it (ahem, "Sub Rosa", aka "That episode where Doctor Crusher had sex with her dead grandma's ghostly boyfriend"). Then again, there's some truly excellent episodes too (Chain of command, the 2 parter that spawned the "four lights! four!" meme).

Personally I think Deep Space Nine got the short end of the stick to an extent-it was about 10-15 years too early for what it was tackling, but it's amazing to go back and watch an almost 30 year old show and see themes about religion, the separation of church and state, fascism, colonialism, and the ongoing psychological damage of war. It's remarkably ahead of its time in so many ways.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  2. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

On that note, starting mid- January, BBCAM began showing ST: DS9 all day on Mondays and Tuesdays every week and ST:TNG all day on Wednesdays. (Fridays are for Doctor Who.) I'm a BBCAM devotee for many reasons, not just ST. :thumbsup:

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I did watch most or all of DS9 when it was first running.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I'm enjoying Star Trek: Picard. Definitely worth a brief subscription to CBS All-Access when the first season has run it's course (which it hasn't yet) in order to binge it.

It's hard to watch Jean Luc Picard without an Enterprise Class starship to command. If ever there was a character born to command, it is him. But that is the point. He has settled uneasily into retirement with many regrets and self-recriminations when he is thrust into a galaxy saving mission without the support of a Starfleet that has been compromised and corrupted by the Romulan Tal Shair, who is also involved in some not clear mission restoring a Borg Cube. With no official channel to turn to, Picard ends up joining the crew of renegades, including a hot shot pilot who is ex-Star Fleet. It's basically the Millennium Falcon with a full crew. There are so many nice touches as Picard wrestles with his inner demons, finding a universe that has changed since he was last "out there."

Part of the why this series is so good is the guiding hand of Pulitzer Prize and Hugo Award winning author Michael Chabon, who is apparently a big STTNG fan. He's written or co-written several episodes. He does a fantastic job of making this a sequel to that series, but it is years later. He draws in the old characters, showing how they have logically aged and changed with time. The latest episode with Will Riker and Deanna Troi was very satisfying. The most fun was the return of Seven of Nine as a kind of Space Privateer/ Resistance fighter.

Like one expects, there is the mix of action (the younger characters) and interesting concepts, although there are slow moments, but watching Patrick Stewart show us Picard's struggle with age and grace is fantastic. This isn't like some of the latter ST-TOS movies, watching old actors try to still portray younger characters. Stewart gives us old Picard and it is a powerful performance. Stewart and Chabon are a fantastic combination, and they seem to be running the show.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2020
  5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Deanna Troi and Will Riker (correct spellings). Apparently, I can't help myself. :vboops:

I'm considering using the same method of viewing strategy that you mention. :newpalm:

6. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Thanks. Fixed. :) (Hook sits in the corner with the dunce hat) :vbwink:

7. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt, Hook and jigwashere like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

scjjtt likes this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Hook, Chabon wrote a very moving piece in the New Yorker about creating Picard, while his father was dying. They shared a love of ST:TOS and would talk about favorite episodes.

10. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity