TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

conflicted feelings about posting in this thread, but depending on one's definition of "tv show" it might fit....or "what are you reading now?" -- if a moderator feels strongly about it, please relocate as you see fit.

I'm posting out of familial duty ('friends are the family we choose'), to any one who has seen Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker, and was disappointed/unhappy/outraged at the ending. I came across a fan-fiction piece which addressed the many shortcomings of the movie's ending. I'll include the link in the spoiler box, not that the link itself is a spoiler. Although the link is to some pages on Wattpad, you don't need to be a member to read -- at least, that's how it worked for me a few days back.

scjjtt likes this.
  2. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

A couple of things I've been watching...

On Amazon, just binged the fourth season of the Expanse. Hope there is more. The best looking space oper on TV with a little more money to throw at it. The Alien Artifact aspect of the plot is wonderful and the Belters dealing with what happens to politics when you start playing on the same board as the "Inners" is well done. The over-zealous UN security officer stuff is a little old and has been done too much before to be all that interesting. The neurotoxin wielding slugs seemed like a time filler rather than contributing something vital. But despite flaws, it's a good story and, as I say, great looking. And Avasarala finally gets to talk like she does in the books (liberal sprinkling of non-family friendly words-- it fits).

Also, just started in on Lost in Space season 2. Only a couple of episodes in, but I'm liking it. Still like "Dr. Smith," who like the original, is so simultaneously happy and deranged and cunning... Parker Posey still pulls it off nicely. You have to wait out the silly family Xmas in the first 15 minutes of the first episode, but then they get to the story.

scjjtt and lelisa13p like this.
  3. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

I Netflix-binged Season Two of Lost in Space on Christmas nite and the day after. At approx 41 mins each, the episodes lend themselves easier to "flow and absorb" than some other series. I liked it, too, :newpalm: and realized how much it reminded me of old style formats that would end each episode with a cliffhanger, making it really difficult to just stop watching when Common Sense says that sleeping would be better because, after all, morning comes pretty quickly, even in Winter. :vboops: And once again, Parker Posey always makes me want to slap somebody! :vbgrin:

Agreeing with you again, :vbsmile: I also like The Expanse and was annoyed/sad when SYFY announced they were letting it go last year. I was elated to hear when Season Four was finally released on Amazon Prime. Watching it will be my New Year's gift to myself. :thumbsup:

Hook likes this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

I just cancelled Netflix and subscribed to Disney+. I probably won't keep Disney+ very long, either. My daughter was the only one watching Netflix, and most of the content she was interested in is available through DroidTV or other sources. I'll probably re-subscribe at some point to binge watch some Netflix originals, although, I can sometimes get them on DVD from the library. :)

I also installed an old Hauppauge HVR-950 tuner I had from the old Palm days, and it's working well with my Plex server. I'm able to DVR over-the-air shows. I'm experimenting right now with Plex's ability to remove commercials.

scjjtt, lelisa13p and Hook like this.
  5. Hook

I have a streaming sharing agreement with my son in CO. I pay for Netflix, he pays for HBO, Disney+ and Hulu and we all have profiles on all of them. :newpalm:

6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I heard that the Rise of Skywalker was creating outrage. Haven't seen it yet, but I'll get to it eventually. I never got so totally geeked-out over Star Wars as most of my cohort did. I liked it (although the trio of 'prequels' were so awful I think they'd put off almost anyone); but never fell in love with it as I did with so many other sci-fi things.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

I finally saw The Rise Of Skywalker and wasn't bothered at all by the ending, but like Ed I'm not heavily invested in Star Wars. I loved New Hope and The Empire Strikes Back, but starting with the dancing Teddy Bears and Uncle Fester as Darth Vader, Lucas and everyone else lost their way and I've found every Star Wars film since those first two fades from my memory a half hour after watching them. :vbwink:

8. questionfear

questionfear Google'd.

I'm far more of a trekkie than a star wars fan, and I finally saw Rise of Skywalker over the weekend as well. I think my biggest issue was that the entire movie felt like it was written by a committee playing telephone. The ending wasn't bad, but it felt like any buildup or foreshadowing got lost or edited out (I don't know how to make spoilers, so I guess I'll write my thoughts in white below)

Highlight below here:

Rey declaring herself a Skywalker would have been 100% believable IF there had been even a small conversation with Force-Luke about how your family/family name is the one you choose, and Rey indicated that Luke and Leia had been parental figures to her. Literally, that would have made the entire ending feel less random.

I had some other very nerdy nitpicks: When did the Force start granting healing powers like a Whitelighter from Charmed? How did a woman who spent her entire life on a desert planet and flying in space figure out how to navigate a boat in typhoon waters? Where did Palpatine find an entire planet of cultists? Why did he have a brining tank full of snoke bits (admittedly I care less about the specifics of this because it was so random but amusing). Is Force lightning...genetic? Why does Adam Driver after getting soaked by a wave look just like my dog did after a bath (that look of "I hate everyone and why is my face wet")? And how come the Force can now transport objects like a Star Trek transporter without the cool effects? Did the old rebellion make X-wings SO WELL that they didn't rust at the bottom of an ocean? And seriously, what the **** was Finn going to tell Rey?

I will give the movie some positives: Adam Driver is a phenomenal actor, Daisy Ridley did well with the physicality of moving like a Jedi, and that tiny alien who hotwired C3P0 was adorable, even if I can't remember his name and keep calling him Baba Yaga. Oscar Isaac managed to be a good actor while sending "Help me" signals with his eyes, which was also very amusing.

Overall, not awful, but I can't wait until it hits streaming so I can get a group together, drink, and MST3K the crap out of it.

Spoilers over.

RickAgresta, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yeah, I'm much more into Star Trek than Star Wars, although I'm also a bit of an outlier there, because Picard has restarted the debates we used to have over TNG. I was so turned off by the early seasons of TNG, I kind of lost interest. My friends all say that the show got much better as it evolved, so I'm going to have to go back and watch what I missed. I'm a hardcore TOS fan though, and I liked the last 3 movies. I can remember how disappointed I was with the 1979 Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

RickAgresta, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Yes, I too am a trek fan over star wars. The 1979 movie was SUPER slow but to my surprise when I showed that movie to our son when he was in 9th or 10th grade (2011-12) he really enjoyed it & the whole plot.

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.