TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

The Orville returns in a couple weeks, dec 30th I think. :vbsmile: Another half season order. :vbfrown: I've got about 6 episodes of Dark Matter left to ration, I do watch Colony and Travelers sometimes on Netflix, but neither really hit my sweet spot. I'm fond of NF's lost in space, season 2 I hope will come in summertime, but that's a ways off.

For years I've managed to ration some of my favorite scifi series through dry spots, but my reserves are nearly dry and the quality of what I'm saving is getting lower. I actually didn't realize that the first season of The Orville was a half order until I'd already blown through most of it or I would have saved more. Was going to wait for the upcoming cbs Picard show, but thinking about trying cbs all access sooner despite misgivings and watching star trek discovery to ease the withdraw.

2. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Timeless 2 hour finale is tonight...

Sent from my LG v10 using Tapatalk

3. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Thanks (as usual) scjjtt. I meant to get back to BH to note that was airing, but just didn't make it. I thought it was great that they got a wrap-up. I thought it was pretty good, although I think there was a plot hole or two. It's been a while since I watched last season, so maybe I'm off.

scjjtt likes this.
  4. EdmundDantes

Great link scjjtt.

I swore I wasn't going to watch the new Magnum (I read someone who wrote, 'No Selleck, no Hillerman, no mustache, no comma, no watch,' I started watching anyway. It's not quite as bad as i thought, but pretty bland. The lead (Magnum), while good-looking, etc. just isn't interesting. I did think that getting rid of the father-figure (or mother-figure for that matter) of Higgins and replacing him with a potential love interest a la Moonlighting was a mistake, but I do like Perdita Weeks as Higgins. I still think the lack of a Higgins-like figure is a shame though.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I just got hooked (so to speak) on Netflix's Travelers (I'm most of the way through season one of 3 so far), which MiAn has mentioned. It really isn't much of a Scifi fix as it really is only scifi in premise. It is actually more akin the the Americans-- super secret agents operating in a foreign setting having to do sometimes terrible things while appearing normal to the rest of the population. And, as with the Americans, and life in general, plans never survive first contact. It even has the same power structure. They get their orders from some mysterious entity called the director, without much explanation, but their confidence in this director slowly erodes particularly since they tend to be more ethical and empathic than the Director. The writing is clever and the actors are engaging. If you are looking for big concept scifi, this won't do it. But if you want a nice Canadian thriller... And I love seeing Eric McCormack again. Give it a shot. :newpalm:

6. EdmundDantes

You make that Travelers sound very appealing Hook.

scjjtt, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  7. Hook

Into the 3rd season of Travelers now and continuing to enjoy it. There are off episodes where they fail to resist the impulse to see how crazy they can get with things, but they always get back on track and when they are on they hit it. One of the unexpected pleasures is seeing Amanda Tapping again-- she plays a character and also directs a number of episodes. One of the interesting things, as they explore more the consequences of their method of time travel, it becomes a little like Invasion of the Body Snatchers from the perspective of the body snatching aliens. Definitely a worthy binge.

EDIT: Lol. Can't even keep my Scifi movies straight today. If you read the earlier version of this post, it must have been confusing when I referred to Triffids. I apparently need way more coffee before posting. :vbrolleyes:

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
  8. Hook

Well, Netflix keeps surprising me. Stumbled into a 2 season series that apparently wrapped up with a finale last year called Sense8. I never heard of it. It's created and written by the "The Wachowskis" (Matrix) and J Micheal Straczynski (Babylon 5), which means you'll end up getting a lot of philosophy with your action. :vbwink: It is quite unlike anything I've seen on TV, although there are some touches of Orphan Black here. It unfolds very slowly and you need to be patient, and yet I was never bored, nor did I feel lost. I felt like it was taking me somewhere, even if I had no idea where that was. You don't even find that much about what's going on until the 4th episode and you don't really find out about the villains until near the end of the first season. But if you are willing to take the ride it is worth your while.

At it's heart, like Orphan Black, it has a central science fiction idea--
    people across the globe who are so connected that they can share thoughts and essentially switch places or coexist together in different places although other people will only see the one that is there. As the first season progresses it is about them trying to figure out what is happening and how to manage it with their real world lives.

Having each character in a different culture is fascinating . I can already tell I'm going to be heart broken to say goodbye to these characters when I reach the end of the second season.:newpalm:

scjjtt, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  9. EdmundDantes

I remember reading about Sense8 when it came out, but never got around to watching it.

scjjtt likes this.
  10. Mi An

Mi An Untethered

scjjtt, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.