TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Amazing how well TBBT has evolved. Despite the appropriateness of that to the show's theme, it was far from a certain outcome. I remember starting to tire of it, not a lot, but some, before Penny's posse not only formed, but rose in prominence. It was a much needed influx of new chemistry. Normally at season 12 of something, even if I were still watching, I'd be thinking it's about time to open that timeslot up to something fresher. Another 2 years would have been easily and well filled (what they were negotiating for IIRC).

What's TBBT's 30 minutes going to be filled with? A dozen sitcoms with a cancellation threat hanging over every second of even their first episode, I assume, the threat being carried out on the best before their first full order is filled. Yay.

2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I love your comment Mi An, I feel the same year. Very few shows manage to introduce new characters and maintain (and in this case, very much enhance) the chemistry of the show. I do have to say that I felt last season was the first one that fell off somewhat in entertainment value for me. Maybe it was just me.

Mi An likes this.
  3. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm just a few episodes into last season, so I can't really speak to it yet.

I do hate it when sitcoms become very touchy-feely and soapy and forget to be funny. I usually find wedding episodes of any sitcom to be a big yawn even though to watch networks promote them I assume they're big ratings draws. TBBT has, imo, avoided this pitfall because so many of the characters are so quirky, they can't help but do things wrong, and that's certainly part of making it funny. Sheldon's the biggest oddball, of course, but both howard and tiny-terrifying bernadette are whackadoos by any normal standard, Penny's alpha male status often yucks romance up, Amy's interesting blend of lovelorn mad scientist comes with a lot of fodder, so a lot of the relationship episodes thus far have still managed to make me laugh.

EdmundDantes and lelisa13p like this.
  4. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook and RickAgresta like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

I just binged the whole season of Lost in Space and I think it's really good and am looking forward to season 2.

I loved the revisioning of the characters in that they were clever alterings of the original characters, but you still saw the connection. I've seen some criticisms of Parker Posey as Dr. Smith, but actually I really liked her. Parker's Dr. Smith is reactive and sociopathic rather than really clever and evil, and her plans often go really badly (for her) because of that. And despite being able to do such vile things she is tripped up by her truly insane need to be held in some regard by her victims. It is a very subtle role in which the character has to almost but not quite get how ridiculous she sometimes makes herself look. You see that in Parker's mastery of these fluidly shifting facial expressions.

The revisioning of the robot was amazing and the whole stolen drive bit was wonderful. And turning Don West into a smuggler with a heart of gold was nicely played.

What was really nice was that they made the center of the first season surviving the elements and nature, as ought to be excpected on something based on something based on Swiss Family Robinson, and the psychological aspects of that survival. In fact, I might not have minded if they had been stranded in isolation as the other people in the other Jupiters were largely only used when they needed something done that required a lot of bodies. Not a complaint, just noticing.

Will Robinson was fantastic, an intelligent, non-cloying kid role, thanks to excellent writing and great casting.

All in all, there's an awful lot to like here and I highly recommend this as quality TV science fiction.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018
  6. EdmundDantes

I think wedding episodes are hit or miss. Some are good, some not so good (often a let down). One of the worst wedding-related episodes (frankly, it was most of a season) was the asinine How I Met Your Mother season, where after basically stretching out one thing over a whole season, they ended with what amounted to 'Never mind!' Loved the show, hated the resolution.

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I just finished the USA TV show - "Shooter". I had started it a couple of years ago and forgot about it. I went back and watched Season 1 and then Season 2 for the first time and I watched Season 3 as it would be aired this year. Last week the show wrapped up and there will not be any more seasons.

I enjoyed the show - which was a take off from the movie Shooter. I was surprised by the ending. If you like action and drama, it is a good watch.

I'm also enjoying TNT's "The Last Ship". This year's fourth season is the last. Again, it is an action and drama show that I have enjoyed watching these past four years.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

EdmundDantes, Hook and lelisa13p like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

scjjtt, You know I'm a Last Ship fan too, although I thought last season was weak. This one seems to be off to a very nice start.

scjjtt likes this.
  9. EdmundDantes

Did anyone watch SIX on History Channel? I loved this series but it was cancelled. My personal opinion is that the lower ratings for the 2nd season (cited as the reason for cancellation) was because they changed the scheduling. They started it right after Memorial Day and made it a 'summer series' instead of showing it in the spring TV season. I'm crossing my fingers hoping someone will pick it up.

10. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Ed, you know, now that you mention it, I do think last year's episodes were not as strong as previous years or this year's. Yes, I think we're off to a good final season.

By the way, I heard so many of you speak of Netflix's ''Lost In Space'' that I watched the first season. It is a good show. I made one mistake though - somewhere in the middle I had switched to a different device to watch it & mistakenly clicked on the movie of ''Lost In Space.'' At first I thought it was the Netfix's production but they just was going back in time, as they do, to explain things. I was really confused - especially with the music they were using - & I didn't like any of it. I was laying down & was falling asleep & kept rewinding it & was very confused (did I mention I was lying down trying to watch it) - finally I realized that the Dr. Smith who got on board was a male character. I backed out of watching it & noticed I was watching the movie version. I tried 2 more times to continue to watch it but gave up & went back to Netfix's episodes!

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk

jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.