TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Yeah, I liked Timeless, although I felt the changes they made to the second season made it more of an 'Afterschool Special' kind of show. They had said beforehand that they would use it to highlight historical figures, leaning towards women. That's admirable but risks being didactic at the expense of drama, which is what I felt happened.

Mi An and scjjtt like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

Season 3, SG1. Jack just got beamed up to an Asgard spaceship mid-speech. It's not their first time in space, but this episode isn't even a season premiere/finale. Feels like a boost in budget. I'm kind of looking forward to more episodes with effects. Not that I need effects to enjoy TV, but it would represent a wider variety of stories than the first two season.

Jack is extra funny when talking to Thor as well. Good chemistry.

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and Hook like this.
  3. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I just found out what the Asgard from Stargate SG-1 are doing these days... :vbwink:

upload_2018-7-11_8-44-57.png

4. Hook

As long as we are on the subject of Stargate, I have to confess I'm finding Stargate Universe a tough adjustment. About 10 episodes in, it does feel like it's getting better, but not as much as I like, although I will stick with it.

First, I'm not really a big fan of dystopian-- well, anything, :vbrolleyes:

Second, here's what it feels like. SG-1 did some nice borrowing of Star Trek (TOS and NG) with a dash of X-files. SG Atlantis spun off of STDS9. It looks like with SGU they started out a clear concept for spinning off of ST Voyager, but J.J. Abrams must have dropped in for lunch and the conversation must have gone something like:

Abrams: "I think you should do 'Lost' in space."
    Wright and Cooper: "Oh, you mean with Dr, Nash as Dr. Smith and the Math genius kid like Will Robinson?"
    Abrams: "No, not "Lost in Space." I mean you should do 'Lost"... but in space instead of on a desert island.
    Wright and Cooper: "That's brilliant. Thanks, JJ!"

I swear, if General O'Neill wakes up one morning in the last episode and says "Wow, what a strange dream..."

Okay, I'm being a little hard on SGU and it does feel like it will get better. It is more earnest and serious minded that SG-1 or SGA, but that's also the problem. This is space opera. I miss the fun and the adventure. I would have much preferred something like people being transported to a sleeping but fully functional Ancients ship that, like Arthur Clark's Rama, starts coming slowly to life around them, but only if they can solve the puzzles, with people trying to learn what the mission of the ship is.

I will watch it all through, of course. Dr. Nash just got stranded on a planet with an alien ship. See, better already. :vbgrin: Which is another problem... these folks just aren't that likeable or interesting.

I admit, it might be just too quick a transition from having binged 10 seasons of SG-1 and 5 seasons of SGA in a few months. On it's own, I might be more tolerant.

5. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I think Eli is likable. But, yeah, I know what you mean. SGU is my favorite, but it's certainly a stark departure from stargate's general tone, and I guess I'm not surprised they failed to keep established stargate fans on board long enough to finish the story.

To me, the tone is reminiscent of Battlestar Galactica, and in the context of its time, DS9 (from which BSG was born). Sure, the Atlantis concept of a fixed station far away fits the DS9 concept better, and sure DS9 maybe doesn't seem all that dark and gritty by today's standards, but following up after TNG's bright and shiny sterile vision it was very dark, far ahead of it's time in scifi, IMO. Eli's humor also reminds me of the off-beat jokes that came from Odo/Quark/Garak to break up DS9 tension. Might have been nice if there were more Eli's in SGU.

BSG/DS9/SGU were also all three very politics heavy (internal politics, not ideological). I think one of the problems that contributed to the three would-be leaders in SGU being so unlikable is how small and uniform the population on the ship was. The arguments that weren't arbitrary were played out before SGU got started (oh gee, look more military vs. science). The politics several seasons in, as the ship and its mission loomed larger in everyone's consciousness, could have been really interesting -- I particularly would have looked forward to Eli and Chloe as opposing faction leaders.

If I were to make one big change to the show from the outset, it would have been the introduction of multiple other species from parts unknown at a similar level of technological development in similar number to the human contingent, over the course of the first season, evacuating to the ship as a lifeboat in eerily similar circumstances to those under which the humans ended up there, each with their own Nash (and their own Eli), suggesting more ambiguity to Nash's choices from the outset. Suddenly you have more diversity from which to draw intriguing politics, more personalities to create interesting odd bedfellows and you have more suspicion about the ship as an invisible hand staffing itself. And then the ship is less of a musty bunker and more of a bustling city.

That would probably make it even less like other stargates though, so... What do I know?

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

SGU had a distinct lack of lighthearted moments, something that I really loved in the other two SG series. I also missed that snappy dialogue which SG-1 and Atlantis did so well. Dark, dark, dark, but the SGU situation was pretty dire right out of the gate (no pun intended.) :vbwink:

RickAgresta, Hook and Mi An like this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I don't know if this was the first time that a dream was used or not (probably not) but this is a classic. Remember, this was done in front of a live audience - listen to their surprise and delight... (you have to know about the Bob Newhart Show to appreciate the ending of the Newhart Show).

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Tapatalk

RickAgresta, Mi An, lelisa13p and 2 others like this.
  8. Hook

Yeah, It's funny. Dark is okay-- I really enjoyed Battlestar Galactica. Actually, Firefly was also dark and gritty, but you had really big hearted characters caught up in all that which you really cared about.

I do like Eli and I like TJ even though I can't figure out why she wears a black, low-cut dress in the infirmary. Not that I'm complaining, mind you... :vbwink:

Mi An, I really like that idea you had in your last paragraph.

Mi An and lelisa13p like this.