TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

All credit to Larry Tesler for the list :vbwink: and most of my choices were easy which probably means they won't match the final results.

I am glad that our Nicole Kidman is in the Limited Series category, which is what Big Little Lies originally was, but when season 2 was ordered I was worried it would move to Drama Series and since I think Nicole's work is unbeatable then Keri Russell would miss out again. However, there has been a lot of well deserved love for both Claire Foy and Elisabeth Moss but Keri has been nominated almost every year and never won so I am hoping this final shot at the gold will be successful :thumbsup: Matthew Rhys deserves it as well and his category is not so crowded with exceptional talent, so here's hoping :thumbsup:

Jon Voight not being nominated for Supporting Actor in Ray Donovan is outrageous, his self centered, conniving, underhanded and mostly clueless to social etiquette Mick Donovan will go down in history as one of the great characters. Boo, hiss, love to hate him :newpalm:

I tried but no :vbfrown:

All the best, woz of oz

Mi An, lelisa13p, Hook and 2 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I agree, Voight is probably the best character (this season has been boring so far to be honest); although Eddie Marsan is also awesome. Voight is too politically incorrect to get much love in Hollywood.

wozofoz likes this.
  3. EdmundDantes

I was disappointed by Orville. Not quite a full-on comedy and not really a drama either.

wozofoz and Mi An like this.
  4. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'm saving Orville for probably Friday or Saturday and hoping it pairs well with pizza or a bacon double cheeseburger. I don't discount negative reactions (here and elsewhere), but I think most people are in a different place than I am. i need me some scifi bad enough to overlook a lot, and I like dramedy. I really miss shows like Psych and Monk. I think if it were full on comedy, I might have more of a problem. MacFarlane's sense of humor is, well, not quite my cup of tea.

Whereas the joke in the trailer where cap'n Seth interrupts the villainous fiend and asks him to reframe himself on the viewer, that's right up my ally. Didn't make me laugh, but I smiled and nodded. Why were Klingons (and every other species) always so well framed on viewscreens even whilst shouting and threatening mayhem? The answer is obvious but it's also far enough outside the fictional universe to be made fun of.

lelisa13p, wozofoz, Hook and 2 others like this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

This made me think of the conference call spoof.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

6. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Well, that was excruciating. :vbwink:

Mi An, jigwashere and wozofoz like this.
  7. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

The Orville came off as lazy, so I can completely understand a lot of the headlines I saw, but I hope it keeps an audience, because the truth is every show is lazy in one way or another. Limited budgets and time require tradeoffs, and shows that succeed usually find an audience willing to overlook its failings. In the end, this was close to what I wanted, and close enough for me to hang around.

The Orville needs to be funnier, and assuming they won't completely commit to being comedy (I'm pretty sure they won't, even though I'd prefer they just get in the funny lane and stay there), they probably have to get better at drama too. But shows are usually better than their pilots. Star Trek TNG's pilot was grotesque. Honestly that whole first season was meh. But the TNG series finale was better than all but a couple of Star Trek movies, and of course there was a lot of good in between. So I'll give this at least a season.

Hook, RickAgresta, scjjtt and 2 others like this.
  8. EdmundDantes

Mi An, I couldn't figure out what it was meant to be. It seemed like an awkward combination of drama, parody, sit-com, etc. It didn't do any of them very well. It made so little impression I forgot about it this past Sunday and didn't record or watch it.

wozofoz likes this.
  9. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I remembered to record it, for all the good it did me. :vbfrown: I recorded 45 minutes of football instead. Apparently it's re-airing Tuesday night, which is actually pretty thoughtful for Fox.

scjjtt and wozofoz like this.
  10. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!