TV Shows ** Possible SPOILERS **

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by wozofoz, Sep 16, 2013.

1. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

There are various discussions about tv shows here at BrightHand so I thought a thread devoted to them might be a good idea.
    Please remember that we live in different timezones so some of us might not have seen the show yet, please use a SPOILERS heading if you are going to talk about the most recent episode etc

I keep track of my favorite shows @ Keep track of your favorite TV shows! - TV Episode Calendar
    It has a month view, they don't spam and it's free with an optional Premium version coming (see the FAQ)

September is the month to stock up on chocolate biscuits and coffee and take the phone off the hook, here is when and why the Do not disturb sign will be on my door

Returning in September

Castle (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    23rd Caskett are back, thank goodness. IMHO all the characters in this show are interesting, great banter, good fun and interesting cases plus a lively pace and great coats. What more could I ask for

Person of Interest (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    24th I will give this another chance but I must admit to being bored through quite a few episodes. I hope they bring back the crime boss Elias, it's a lot more interesting when he is the nemesis

Criminal Minds - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    25th Like Person Of Interest I have started to find this boring at times (run it's course?) but the episodes emphasising Spencer Reid's personal problems (drugs and love) were very well done, I hope he gets more storylines

Elementary (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    26th My favorite take on Holmes and Watson at the moment. Superb acting, with a lively and interesting script. This relationship between Holmes and Watson is stunning, sad, infuriating, funny, weird, tender and captivating (IMHO) I can't be disturbed while this is on.

The Big Bang Theory - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    26th I am happily surprised that this show has been so funny for so long, I fully expect it to continue in it's winning ways

Homeland (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    29th Starring Claire Danes is enough to get me interested but everyone else in this show is great as well. Looking forward to seeing what direction this show takes and watching Claire paint an emotional picture with her superb acting skills

Once Upon a Time (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    29th The magic returns, let the fun begin. I hope to see more Rumplestiltskin/Gold and The Evil Queen with her gowns to die for (and someone probably did) but the show might be branching away from that. I still expect it to be great though.

Revenge (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    29th "Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves"
    Gonna need a lot more than two graves before this show is over. To be fair, not many people actually get killed but their life, as they know it, is over. There is great acting which stops well short of soap opera but retains all the juicy bits (revenge, jealousy, children from affairs etc) Madeleine Stowe is obviously enjoying her role of (Queen) Victoria Grayson

The Good Wife - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    29th Lawyers, cheating husbands, politics, normally I wouldn't be interested but this is my favorite show at the moment. Absolutely superb acting by everyone, great script, captivating storylines with well executed twists and turns, characters I care about, interesting court cases, heartache, joy and even some silliness. I have been waiting with bated breath

New in September

Sleepy Hollow (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    16th Hopefully it's creepy, scary

The Blacklist (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    23rd Might be interesting

Trophy Wife (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    24th The cast looks quite good, might be fun

All the best, woz of oz

Last edited: Sep 16, 2013
    RickAgresta, lelisa13p, Mi An and 2 others like this.
  2. Mi An

Mi An Nexus Refugee

I'll have to look at that episode calendar. I miss a lot of season start/return episodes.

wozofoz likes this.
  3. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I enjoy Big Bang Theory and look forward to another great season.

I do watch Criminal Minds, but I considered dropping it last year. I hope this season improves.

I'll probably check out The Blacklist, but I don't have high expectations for it.

CSI is back this season, isn't it? As I recall, CSI NY is over and I never really liked CSI Miami.

I also watch NCIS, but I guess Cote de Pablo will be leaving.

lelisa13p and wozofoz like this.
  4. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

I'm watching very little TV these days. Probably NCIS (the episodes until Jan where they will have the "new partner of the week" might be fun), and CSI (Yes, still on, still some of the better writing on TV). Big Bang Theory and then in October will pick up American Horror Story (Season 3: Coven... really, Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange in the same series :D) and Grimm.

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Big smooch, woz. *mwah* :) Great thread idea! :newpalm:

I watched the first episodes of Ironside and Trophy Wife (both new series). Both were bad; formulaic, predictably bad. :( They were Early Premieres from Comcast.

Ironside features Blair Underwood as Robert Ironside, this time as a badass, perp-abusing detective; the only thing he shares with the original series is the wheelchair. I dumped it after 12 minutes.

Trophy Wife has some significant cast members but the first episode, setting up the premise & introducing the players, was just dumb.

wozofoz likes this.
  6. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

Jig, I agree with you about Criminal Minds. It's really past its time. A lot of shows seem to drag on too long. I'd say the same about Gray's Anatomy too. Other than that and the Big Bang Theory, Most of those shows are not on my watch list, although I did want to watch Person of Interest; but I didn't have enough time in my schedule to watch it from the beginning. I might try the Blacklist, as it's the top-touted new show of the season.

As an aside, a friend of mine is a producer/writer on Revenge, so I watch every now and then, although it's not my kind of show.

wozofoz likes this.
  7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Here are the ones that we try to watch. I do have them recorded through Windows Media Center on the network connected to an antenna. If we don't get to watch them my computer changes them from high definition to mp4 with MCEBuddy (THANKS TO JIG's suggesting it years ago) and try to watch them later.

NCIS - great show - I just don't always get to see it and haven't caught up on last season's yet

NCIS, Los Angeles - I still need to see some episodes from last year - but will I? I like Linda Hunt as Hetty Lange - she's a great actor and I don't think Marty Deeks gets enough respect - but I think Eric Christian Olsen is funny playing that role.

Castle - both my wife and I usually get to see this one - we like it.

Person of Interest - Action and Technology - what can you not like about it? LOL

Hawaii 5-0 - I think I just need to give up on this one - I was trying to follow it 2 years ago and I don't know if I have watched any of last season episodes. But I am looking forward to a new cast member that is coming on - Chi McBride. I just saw on CBS.com that you can watch all of last year's shows there. No thanks - I have them recorded if I wanted to do that - but just in case someone had time to kill...

Last Man Standing - 30 minute comedy show with Tim Allen - I love to laugh - I did see all of the shows for season 1 & 2 - but almost all on MP4...

The Bad - I mean The Good Wife - we usually get to see this - but I'm not convinced that she is as good as the title suggests.

lelisa13p, wozofoz and EdmundDantes like this.
  8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

My list pretty much has been already mentioned, split up by different folks here…
    • Both NCIS's
    • Person of Interest -- been watching the whole run. Not always stellar, but I'm hooked
    • Grimm
    • Big Bang Theory -- thanks to Hook for introducing me to the show
    • Elementary -- I'm a recent convert
    • Under the Dome -- really, more that there's nothing else to watch Monday night…it's really not that good imho
    • White Collar -- imo, been improving the last 2 seasons

Also watch Covert Affairs (it's finishing up for the year); will probably watch Graceland next year, particlarly with Burn Notice having concluded its run (with a spectacular series finale, imo).
    Aside from those, I thought Homeland and The Blacklist at least sounded interesting; kinda just totally lost interest in Warehouse 13 this year; sorry that Alphas wasn't renewed (and that it ended as it did -- 'cliffhanger' w/ no resolution)…I catch Castle sometimes, more often older shows on TBS (TNT?)

Great idea woz!
    EDIT: Forgot The Following when it returns, and The Crazy Ones (Robin Williams!)

lelisa13p, wozofoz and scjjtt like this.
  9. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I forgot about...

Revolution

Pretty corny but it is about life without electricity and no gadgets can work - the disaster of disasters - can you imagine - no Brighthand.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S 4 using Tapatalk.

10. wozofoz

wozofoz Ab Fab Tab

"Kathy Bates and Jessica Lange in the same series" Sold!!!!!!!

Grimm (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    When I first read the plot I thought it could easily fail but the writing, the acting and the production have carried it very well.
    The Juliette and Renard infatuation (caused by a spell) was so intense it was scary
    Grimm is one of my favorite shows.

I laughed when I read this but it's not funny that they had the gall to do that to a classic

Oh well, I was hoping for a lite fun comedy but I'm not surprised it's dumb

Yep. From the Wikipedia article
    "Julianna Margulies as Alicia Florrick: The titular character of the show, although she does not always live up to that quaint title"

I also like White Collar (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    It has been improving over time and I expect it to get even better. Good chemistry between the characters

Yeah, what was that ???? I thought the storyline was building up really well and then ......... gone

The Crazy Ones - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Thanks, added to my list

Some more:

Whitechapel (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Current. You might know the face of DS Ray Miles played by Phil Davis he pops up in a lot of British tv and movies and he played the cabbie in Sherlock - A Study in Pink

Hostages (TV series) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Coming. I'm going to watch this because it stars our Toni Collette - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

All the best, woz of oz

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
    lelisa13p, scjjtt and EdmundDantes like this.