Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by greycow, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Thank you, Nine. But the article you referenced says that the update "...purports to improve the way the handheld manages memory..."

The author doesn't say how they improved it so I'd like to know if 14 bytes of data now take up 14 bytes of RAM or if they've cut it from 512, to, say, 256 bytes.

2. Jeff Kirvin

Jeff Kirvin Rogue Podcaster

It's 16-32 bytes on the patched devices.

3. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The update just released by palmOne reduces the overhead of storing database records in the file system. It does so by compacting more than one record into a single 512-byte block. In effect, each 512 block is divided into 16 32-byte subblocks, which allows small and large records to be stored more efficiently.

4. dave69

dave69 m505 Palm'r

Ok, I went through the upgrade with little or no issues except for the WiFi reconfig. No big whoop....However, it appears that even though backupbuddy works fine bbvfs does not. After hitting the launch button for BBVFS I get a error box with the error:(sys0505) (0,841) Then it goes fatal error and I reset. Any thoughts?? mack

5. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Delete the application and all its previously-created backup files and install it again :)

6. dave69

dave69 m505 Palm'r

Nine, thanks for the quick response...did that and everything seems to function fine from a hotsync perspective including the backup to the card. However if I hit the backup icon on my T5 I get the message about not having the latest version of BB on the card and do I want to put it there, click yes, accept etc. Boom....error message and fatal reset. :confused: mack

7. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

For all T5 owners using DB5 who are still hesitating, a word of support from the one and only CESD :
    (and if you do not know who CESD is, well ... you most likely have never read the DB5 documentation :p )

8. dhyamato

dhyamato Centro Newbie...

Having installed the update five days ago, I would have to say that my T5 life has improved considerably.

The crashes seem to have gone away (almost completely), additional memory has been freed up, and things seem to function faster, too.

For those on-the-fence, I strongly suggest doing it.

9. jthompson

jthompson What's next?

Wonderful upgrade. I posted my update experience on 1src. Nice job, Palm. There are no "must-needs" on my handheld list these days. Hopefully I can skip getting a new handheld this year -- getting very tired of doing that, and waited a long time for a handheld like the T5.

10. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Chief Executive, Sales Division?

11. holvoetn

Amongst other titles ... yes ! :D

Also:
    CEO
    CFO
    CIO
    CTO

AND ....

Master feeder of the Gorilla's ! :cool:

12. doubleamom

doubleamom Mobile Enthusiast

Not too thrilled with the update. I followed all the directions on the site to a "t", and now I cannot get anything to restore! NOT a happy camper! Help?!

I just get the same endless rerun. Just when I think it is going to sync right, it gives me the reboot and goes back to factory settings.

Anyone have any suggestions for me?

13. holvoetn

Hello doubleamom,
    Welcome to BrightHand :D:D:D

Most likely something else went corrupt resulting in your PDA crahsing all the time.

Does it work normally before the hotsync?
    If so, what you can do:
    - locate your backup folder under your PalmDesktop folder structure
    - rename this backup folder to something like backup_old
    - hotsync.

This will bring over all your PIMs data but NOT the applications.

Now you should reinstall the applications one by one. I suggest however to make use of an SD card backup program (like BakupBuddy, BackupMan, ...).
    This will make your restoring-cycle a lot more easy in the future ...

14. Oasis2005

Oasis2005 Mobile Consultant

Installed the update at the same time as doing a hard reset. Worked great and havent crashed as yet. Seems a bit faster also

15. doubleamom

doubleamom Mobile Enthusiast

I finally got it to work. Thanks everyone!

16. Lechero

Lechero Mobile Deity

GoooooooooooooooooooooooaLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now if I can just get it to Vibrate & Take Pictures.

It would be thing of beauty.

17. collegea

collegea Mobile Evangelist

I finally got the update to work perfectly. But I had to do a hard reset first. Prior to the hard reset, I was losing my phone settings whenever I went to Preferences-Network-Details, to change the Idle Timeout to never. I couldn't get my Wifi to work either. But now all is well.

It's a good update. It makes the T5 work more fluidly.

Most things are an adventure with Palm.

18. realgeorge

realgeorge Newbie

I got the 1.1 upgrade onto the INTERNAL memory as a file in Applications, just as I was instructed. However, when I tap the icon, I either get (1) fatal error or (2) not enough memory on this device to run the application. (Info shows I have 24 MB of free memory.) Last few times I tried, I didn't get the fatal error box, but did get the "not enough memory..." box. Any suggestions?

19. drusus

drusus Andrew

I have followed all the messages here on this thread, and have taken all the tips on board, including backing everything up.

I ran the update and it looked as if all was going well, I got to step 2 after the set-up and which ran on my T5 and it was HotSynching to restore my data.

It then restarted a couple of times showing the PalmOne screen then the Powered By Palm page, then it reformatted again and then asked me to configure the screen by tapping on it at various points (just like when I first bought it and set it up!

Now its doing the same again for the fourth time.

I don?t appear to be getting any further ~ except for tearing out my hair!

Also the Update window on my desktop is at stage 2, and I cannot go backwards

Can anyone suggest or advise what to do please?

Thanks Drusus

UPDATE!

Eventually, this behaviour stopped and when it Hot-synchronised it did not restore any of my documents or applications at all, and in fact it backed my system up as having none of these files.

But having as I said above followed this thread I had downloaded the trial version of Backup VFS and had done a complete Backup of all my data. Could having this program installed prevent my system from restoring my data during the update etc becasue I notice that in HotSynch Manager that the usual 'Backup' program was not listed, just Backup Buddy?

I ran that as a 'Zoomback' but was horrified when I actioned this because it suddenly dawned on me that it would just replace all the files from before the 1.1 update had been installed, but when I looked at my T5 all my apps are back as well as my data etc. Also, my Bluetooth connection is working fine and I didn?t have to Pair My Bluetooth phone again with it.

So I am not sure if I have got the update on or not, because I did the date test in Memos' ( you know Graffiti Short Cut stroke , then period, then the number 9) well that came back with Fri 06/03/2005 01:38 PM, so as I understand according to the Palm update webpage I DO have the update!

But I have also seen in this thread that a better encryption setting is available "LD liek securuty feature under Prefs"

I have looked in "Preferences - Security - Options", but I still only see RC4 and AES (FIPS)

Can anybody please comment, as I am really confused now!

Thanks again

Drusus

20. drgmtpalm

drgmtpalm Guest

I hard reset my palm, starting from scratch. I turned off all hotsync conduits to "do nothing", set this as default, and transferred the update to MAIN MEMORY not internal memory. I applied the update. Once completed, I restored using my Backupman backup which I made only two days earlier. Once restored, I deleted the contents of my backup folder, restored all hotsync conduits to synchronise, set this as default and hotsynced to get a fresh backup folder.

Alternatively if you dont have a good backup program pre update

1. Hard reset.
    2. Set hotsync conduits to "do nothing" and tick set as
    default to keep them that way.
    3. Apply patch to MAIN memory. Follow the steps.
    4. Once done change hotsync conduits to "desktop
    overwrites handheld ticking "Set as default" as safety
    precaution
    5. Once handheld is restored, change conduits to synchronize
    and click "set as default".

The reason I say click "set as default" each time is that with me, sometimes hotsync will freeze half way through and if this happens, the next time you hotsync the preferences will set to default. So if you change conduits to for example, "desktop overwrites handheld" and dont click "set as default", if you need to hotsync more than once the second time it will default to synchronise (which can be a real pain in the butt). If you are brave and have faith in hotsync, you dont have to click "set as default".

Hope this makes sense and is helpful

drgmtpalm

NOTE

To change conduit preferences, right click on the hotsync icon in the system tray and click custom. Highlight each conduit and change as instructed above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.