Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by greycow, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. greycow

greycow Mobile Enthusiast

Odd. I never have to do this. Try set your PC name as !! instead as this is what I use and it works flawlessly.

2. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

After watching 100 posts come and go in this forum, I decided that, if I followed the instructions very closely and made offerings of various types to various deities I would attempt the upgrade.

Here's the results:

Total time: About 40 minutes including the Wi-Fi update reinstall

Device Memory gained: 3.5M

Things P1 didn't tell me in advance: At one point the handheld screen has data going by and part of it looks like an error message causing me to consider aborting everything. I didn't and eventually it all worked the way it was supposed to(!)

Things I thought I'd have to do but didn't: 1, No pin-in-the-back resets were necessary (for me). 2, Sacrifice a virgin.

Things the Brighthand people have reported that I haven't seen yet: A supposed increase in speed.

Things that don't seem as if they're right but haven't caused any noticeable problems yet so I'm mostly going to ignore them: 1, My hotsynch log (from right at the end of the procedure) says that the synchronization failed. I did another one, no message. 2, On a subsequent synch Versamail's conduit wrote that it didn't finish synch with my GMail account. Again, another synch seemed to make the message go away, but we'll see if there's anything wrong with that account later. 3, When I restored INTERNAL per the instructions it duplicated default picture #5 and the T5.asf file. I deleted these after making sure they weren't different (as far as I could see, anyway.)

Things I hoped would be different: The "On while charging" thing. It doesn't for me, but fortunately Josser and Igor explained it and gave me workarounds. (I'd put in a link to the post, but I'm not sure how. If you want to see it, it's in the Tungsten T forum, under the heading "Constant power.")

Things that pleasantly surprised me: Except for having to reset my location it appears that every pref and piece of data I had is back. /edit_1: Just found that my eReader lost my page in the book I'm reading.

Things I want to pass on to others: Follow the instructions explicitly. Remember that you'll have to re-install your Wi-Fi update. Sorry about those cats and chickens.

Things I want for my birthday: Well, maybe another time and thread.

3. action49

action49 Guest

I did follow the blasted instructions but have failed miserably. My data didnt get restored and then when I tried to hotsynch I got a fatal exception and hit the reset button which seems to have been a hard reset because there is nothing of mine on the darned thing at all. Next time I try and hotsynch I get an error message which tells me that the port is in use by a different application - I have absolutely no idea what to do next! (have tried changing the USB port with the same result)

Any assistance gratefully received!

Edited to add - nothing ventured, I did a real hard set and rebooted the PC and it appears that the next synch was successful! I have no idea what went on there but it was very scary for a while!

4. EdT2

EdT2 EdT5 since 14APR05

Hi all,

I am really surprised by that there is so little talk about PalmOne's release of the T5 1.1 OS-patch. I mean, this is the best thing since sliced bread!! and has truly made the T5 the best Palm ever produced. No more resets, no more hotsync issues, this thing is as stable as a rock now!!

I for one have been anxiously waiting for Palm to finally fix what should have been fixed before they even released the T5. It has taken a while, but finally everthing is all right!! Rejoice!!

5. drgmtpalm

drgmtpalm Guest

The update hasnt changed much for me

I was really happy with my T5 and did not have any problems with it (maybe coz i screened software so much prior to install for compatibility).

Anyway the update has helped others so thats a good thing

6. cheys03

cheys03 Mobile Enthusiast

Agreed - the update has made my life so much easier!

I've only had the unit about a month but was getting seriously annoyed having paid ?200 (UK) for a unit that crashed at least 3 times a day (and I'm a light user).

Soooo much more stable! No more tearing hair out. :)

Hopefully P1 will learn from their mistake

------
    Chris

7. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

They receive two cheers from me. The other one is reserved for a model that can remove so many glaring errors before production and get it righter first time. Don't get me wrong - I adore my T5 and never regret picking it for a second. But some of the things that were patched reallly shouldn't have slipped through in the first place. :)

8. EdT2

EdT2 EdT5 since 14APR05

I fully agree with you.

I managed to get my T5 very stable pre-update but was still getting increasingly annoyed by the "issues" surrounding the NVFS-implementation of the T5 the more I read about it. And then the hotsync-crashes almost every other time I would hotsync, just drove me mad!

But now, the long overdue update has finally made all these issues go away. I feel I just received a new T5 all over again. How quick we forget...:D

9. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Call me trusting, call me stupid, stick me in a pointy-chested 1950s sweater and call me Barbera if you must - but I've always stuck with Palm despite all the problems. The sum of the whole experience is greater than those of the - occasionally poor - parts. :)

10. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

I'm still in the recovery position after going through the hideous upgrade process.

11. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Streaky, when we suggested that you place your palm somewhere firmly where the USB cable could not possibly become disconnected during the upgrade process, you may have taken it a bit too literally. :(

12. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Good one!

13. yud

yud Member

what??? really??? have they really managed to add a slider to the T5 just with an OS patch???

:D

Y.

14. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Nope - they ensured that the patch didn't affect the wonderful slider-free usage in any way ;)

15. yud

yud Member

ooopppsss... sorry... I thought EdT2 said "...the best Palm ever produced..."

:D

Y.

16. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Whoo - here we go... <Nine looks for something to cling onto before all the fireballs come> :rolleyes:

17. EdT2

EdT2 EdT5 since 14APR05

I did:D

I used to have the T2 (still have it actually) and NEVER opened the slider. I am a great fan of TealMaster/TealLaunch and with that great combo you can replicate any function that normally is only available with the slider open (among many other great features). Therefore I was used to the highly compact T2 (closed slider) and thought that the T5 would require a lot of getting used to. But this has not proven to be the case at all. Moreover, with the T2 closed you only miss the grafitti area, which is not such a big deal since you can write on-screen anyway. With the T3 however, you are missing part of the screen by keeping the slider closed.

To each its own of course. With the T3 you have a voice-recorder, with the T5 you don't, that could be a deal-breaker in itself. Point I am trying to make is that having the big screen available all the time is really really great and you are not sacrificing that much size.

To ME, the T5 (after the 1.1 upgrade) is the best handheld currently available, only this mysterious Txx with the built-in wifi could be even better.

18. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

We're on page 12 of this thread now, which seems like a lot of discussion to me. Problem is, you seemed to have missed this thread.

That's the problem with stickies. They ensure that important threads stay on the front page, but some people have gotten in the habit of automatically skipping over them.

19. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

Can anyone care to give me a simple explanation of what Palm did different with memory in this patch that caused me to have more available?

I'm guessing that they've changed the size of a cluster, but would like to hear a real explanation.

20. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...