Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by greycow, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

And a high five to all.

I have reached the light at the end of the tunnel. This is a hideous-to-perform upgrade and I don't yet know if it's worth it. I would strongly recommend anyone who has installed additional apps and/or personalised their apps to buy (and use) a backup app first. Why Palmone is releasing an update that wipes the T5 I don't know.

Anyway, I did it all as in my previous post and then sat on the train home to get my T5 back to how it was, if not better. Most of the apps came back with the hotsync. I restored my internal drive in its entirety using BackupBuddy VFS Professional (v. 3.1 RC 2) (from www.bluenomad.com with complete ease. I then reckoned I wanted all my preferences back (such as cities in 4cast) and really couldn't be arsed to set everything up again (I ditched my T3 for the T5 because I was so teed off with hard resets) so I bit the bullet and did a full restore from BBVFS.

As the Palm reconfigures some things from scratch after the reset (after reading the BBVFS manual) I knew that some files would appear newer on the T5 but that I'd want to overwrite them from my backup to get my prefs.

So, using a complicated statistical formula called pot luck, I sat on the train and selectively overwrote anything that didn't look like a system file or a game or font, etc. that I had already got back from the hotsync.

I now have an upgraded T5 configured exactly as before (well, slightly better as I changed colours (using Khroma) and fonts (using fonts4os5) again). I also had to pair my BT phone again, but it worked fine on the train, even better now as I can now see its model in the available phones list. I have also set up a GPRS network account in additrion to my dial-up account.

I think I have c. 10 Mb more storage now (I didn't write down the original figure), but that might eb just beacuse I've overlooked an app/database or I deleted something to make more space (embarrassingly, my T5 was fine space-wise, but I had to delete stuff off my PC as I had less than the 15Mb required to run the upgrade!).

NavMan (my satnav app) isn't happy and I may have to reinstall, but otherwise I think I am a happy camper. More happy, perhaps, that I seem to have successfully navigated my way out of this upgrade rather than because I now have it.

So, BACK UP first, read the instructions carefully and check here to see if those who have succeeded reckon it's been worth it.

2. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Worked for me too. When that bum-clenching fatal error after three minutes of launching it occured (that others have also found), a soft-reset and rerunning worked instantly.

And I too have gained over 10Mb - and have to agree that the unit feels FAR more responsive - especially when opening and closing very large databases. I chose to hard-reset before running - so some apps preferences had to be set again and a few registration codes dug out - but aside from that, I is one happy bunny. :)

3. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Go to palmone and see, or look at the other, bigger thread on this.

Yes.

(Sorry - in a rush.)

4. Lechero

Lechero Mobile Deity

Thanks STREAKY!
    When I have some time ill give a chance.

5. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Well, the restore worked okay (see my other post). I disabled this morning's auto back up and have just begun backing up my internal drive. Around half way through it crashed:

MemoryMgr.c, Line:3877, Invalid chunk ptr

I'll have another go after I've reset and then try a full system back up.

As far as I'm concerned BBVFS earned its stripes just for seeing me through this upgrade.

[Edit]

Completed the back up of my internal drive this time, but then got:

Fatal Exception

Will reset again.

[Edit]

Success! Now moving to my first post-update full system backup (the one I usually run at 3am each morning).

[Edit]

Full back up worked right up to the end but then the BBVFS screen froze partially written. I assumed the worst and thought another reset was on the cards but when I pushed my Datebook button I went off there. Returned to BBVFS to see that last back up was the one I've just done, so ran it again just in case. Everything went okay.

I really think I ought to do some work now.

6. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

BackupBuddyVFS - for me, anyway - now seems to work like a charm. :)

7. rgloor

rgloor Entrepreneur

Yes. It seems to be the international version (also) at www.palmone.com.

I downloaded it last night. During installation, it was asking the language and actually had the correct one pre-selected (German in my case).

Hope this helps.

8. rgloor

rgloor Entrepreneur

I thought it might be helpful for some of you in progress to upgrade.

Like others, I also had often the issue of resets after hotsync.

So I was eager to upgrade:
    I printed the instructions (http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/tungstent5/tungstent5update.html and http://www.palmone.com/us/support/downloads/tungstent5/tungstent5update_install.html) and followed them strictly.

The whole upgrade took about 20 Minutes and happend as described in the oline-instructions AND as well the instructions of the upgrade program.

I usually tend to quickly click the yes or continue buttoms. This time I really carefully read the steps and points and followed precisely.

So the upgrade went eventless.

Since the upgrade, I haven't had a single reset, have more RAM and it somehow feels even faster.

Good luck to all the upgraders.

9. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

The instructions that I read somehow got themselves a bit confused, and started calling the INTERNAL drive the LIFEDRIVE when backing up the internal memory. Bless 'em - they even magae to b*gger-up their solutions to the original b*gger-ups... ;)

10. webwizardc88

webwizardc88 Mobile Deity

I have an idea.

If it isnt too much trouble, someone please run speedy (or simmilar benchmarking program) on an updated T5 and compare the results with a non-updated T5. I'd like to know what the actual speed difference is.

11. junglemike

junglemike Mobile Deity

Speedy measurements are only affected by cpu and ram speeds (416mhz for cpu , and probably 100mhz for ram), So if you don't see a difference in speedy - it doesn't mean there isn't any improvement.
    I guess you will need to use it for some time to evaluate performance, (or wait somebody to here to do it instead of you :)
    :D

12. webwizardc88

webwizardc88 Mobile Deity

i'm sure you are right, but it sure does seem faster now after the update.

13. masterzone

masterzone Mobile Deity

after upgrade my T5:

- Moore stability

- some bug cleared

- calculator history don't working if the virtual kyboard is up...anyway...

- very speedup when hotsinc with windows

- more speed opening applications as TCMP movie player and close it

Mz

14. bluefish

bluefish I am not a PC...

First thing I noticed after the update was installed, was a general increase in system speed for launching apps.
    I had several third party issues, but after deleting and then re-installing those files and DBs concerned, they seemed to go away, or maybe they are biding their time............and will appear again when least expected!!

After my second Hotsync, the speed seemed slower again, until I reset it and then everything was back to the previous condition. Let me repeat that.........After my second Hotsync(the one after upgrading) I found speed back to pre-upgrade..........soft reset......back to post upgrade speed!!

Much better Hotsync speed and way faster cleanup, no reset after Hotsync so far.........

SMS will not upload from phone.It did before, so I do not understand why this should be.
    Have not tried latest phonelink upgrade yet.

Anyone else agree with the above?

15. WongC

WongC Newbie

One nice little tiny wee fix I noticed, is that the T5 finally actually stays _on_, while charging..

16. T5 Cymru

T5 Cymru Mobile Enthusiast

I was interested to see Calc mentioned in the update so I applied it.

I had not been able to simply add a percentage, say VAT at 17.5%. I thought it was me being stupid.

After the update I can now do this simple task. Which means that I can ditch my pocket calculater!

Cheers
    Ian

17. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

A ROM update does, regardless of model, whether Palm or PPC.

18. Chiana

Chiana Mobile Evangelist

I just ran speedy and clocked at 370 mhz prior and after update. So no noticable speed difference in Speedy. I haven't used it enough recently to determine if there is an actual speed difference.

Has anyone installed the update and stopped using DBCache?

19. wwwjason

wwwjason Newbie

This is my first post (although I've lurked for years), and I hate to complain on my FP, so let me first say "Hello Everybody :)"

Now, on to business!

This update has been a nightmare for me. I get repeated Fatal Exceptions, and MemoryMgr.c, Free handle crashes. I've restored fron HotSync (and tried from BackupbuddyVFS) but cannot rid of the error. I'm trying to isolate the app and remove, but it seems to occur regardless of the app. I can only complete a reset while holding the "up" button to bypass startup programs, then the T5 crashes immediately. I've already tried the advice on the thread and reinstalled the update. Ack!

20. GeorgeP

GeorgeP Mobile Deity

Don't feel bad.

I had the same problems with the update. For me it seemed that the update installed fine, the tough part was getting my apps and data reinstalled. I kept getting a fatal error loop.

To resolve, I had to hard reset, and install things one by one. So far everything is working fine.

I would advise anyone considering the update to plan on having to hard reset and reinstall apps from scratch (just in case).

That said, my system is now a little speedier, hotsync is faster. SMS now reads from phone. And I got a bunch of memory back.

G