Tungsten? T5 Update v1.1

Discussion in 'Tungsten T series' started by greycow, Jun 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teerexx52

teerexx52 Mobile Deity

Can anyone tell me how to find out which version of Palm OS I am running. I did the update and it was a disaster. I am wondering if it took or not? Thanks

2. d-roC

d-roC Mobile Ministry Magazine

No interface changes. Everything changed is under the hood. Take note of the LD liek securuty feature under Prefs. Other than that, enjoy the update.

3. Btate0121

Btate0121 Mobile Deity

to check what version of the upgrade you have simply do the following:

open up memo

Make the loopy sign (like a cursive lower-case "L")
    then period
    Then the number 9

this will bring up a date and time. the date should read "06/03/2005 01:38 PM" if it ready anything BEFORE that date... you need to install the upgrade.
    your welcomes.. i am accepting donations.

SMILE!

4. teerexx52

teerexx52 Mobile Deity

Thanks it worked!! However after 2 hours of trying to install this update this morning and many fatal errors and hard and soft resets I think I will wait for awyle and see what happens. This seems to be a very tricky upgrade to do successfully. This mornin g it said I did not have enough memory when I had 47mb free. I did a ahrd reset and tried it again and still fatal errors and no success. Wow!

5. rolney

rolney Mobile Consultant

Great! I just put in the post yesterday my T5 for a repair to the constant need for resets. Hopefully they'll figure out that my T5 needs the upgrade and do it for me whilst in the shop....here's keeping my fingers crossed..... :cool:

=R

6. Lechero

Lechero Mobile Deity

What is the update for??
    Does it fix the search Bug??(Stops At 8?)

7. drgmtpalm

drgmtpalm Guest

Restoring with a progam like BBVFS or backupman wont (I dont think) restore the previous ROM version. This version becomes set in stone I think. Backup prgrams only backup programs and preferences.... I think......

8. ackmondual

ackmondual Mobile Deity

Good to see P1 finally releasing their ROM update for T5 users.

Alternatively, you can write the vertical line for the 'L' and then the horizontal line for the space either to the left or right of the 'L' (to the left after a capital 'L' and to the right after a lowercase one). Just make sure it doesn't intersect or touch in any way with the vertical line else it'll think you're writing a 'T'.

seems right. AFAIK, ROM updates are so "permanent" that hard resets don't affect them either. There may be a way to reverse it if needed, but i hear it can get ugly

9. Chiana

Chiana Mobile Evangelist

I installed the update. Not a problem. Now I am reinstalling my WiFi card drivers. So it appears to be working.. we shall see.

10. WongC

WongC Newbie

Hello all,

Did everything by the letter, according to palmOne's support page. HotSync, backed up Internal Drive...

Then I had the 'Not enough memory to launch update' so I decided eventually to do the Hard Reset thing. After the successful trouble-free T5 1.1 update, I restored my data, but found out that the entire Calender (DateBk5) is empty! And so was Memo! Contacts was a mess.

Not sure if a second HotSync would have solved that, but $10 BackupMan came to the rescue once again. All is good now, everything's in order. The T5 is much more responsive, and I am happy this 1 hour heart in mouth experience was relatively painless.

11. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

You are correct.

There is very little point in backing up ROM as it is Read Only Memory and is therefore non-volatile.

An obscure exception: If one changes ROM with something like Jacksprat/JackFlash, it is advisable to have a backup!

Backup programs are generally for RAM, which is intended to be modified by the user.

12. T5 Macbeth

T5 Macbeth Come, let me clutch thee.

I have downloaded the update and read the instructions on loading it. One thing though, the instructions say that I need Hotsync Manager 6.0.1. I have Hotsync Manager 5.0P. After searching around on the PalmOne website, I am still unable to find the newest Hotsync Mgr to download. What am I missing?

Can someone please tell me where to find this verson (6.0.1)? Or, is it installed when I install the new update (although that doesn't seem to make much sense).

Thanks for the help,

AV

13. T5 Macbeth

T5 Macbeth Come, let me clutch thee.

Nevermind.

AV

14. brush

brush Psychologist

When performing the check to see if you need the update (I know I do) i get Sat 10/16/2004 2:45Pm. Did my T5 even have the previous Rom update or am I two behind? I boght my T5 in April 05

15. Theophilos

Theophilos Mobile Consultant

Brush,
    From memory, that date indicates you have the first update.
    Even if you didn't have it, I believe the latest update includes the Nov 2004 update.

BTW
    Can anyone think of why I shouldn't try the update off the American website if I am in Australia and the update is not on the Australian site?

16. dhyamato

dhyamato Centro Newbie...

Man, I learned the hard way that whenever there's a ROM update, one should make sure that whatever unit you have should have enough juice in it.

I attempted to update my T5 to 1.1 at work using my laptop this morning. Like an enthusiastic toddler on-a-wing-and-a-prayer, I attempted to install 1.1 using what remaining power was left (~3.90v). I ignored the warnings and during the install I received a message on the T5 screen to plug it in. It would not proceed any further. I was pretty screwed since I left my charger at home and for some reason, it froze the screen, too.

After returning home and sticking it in the charger, I did a hard reset and started over. I restored from backup and it's working great! The final tune-up is to install Graffitti 1 and it'll be good to go.

From what I've see so far, it does work a tadbit faster and hasn't crashed, yet, yea!

Thank you pa1mOne for the update. It was better late than never...

UPDATE:
    Graffiti 1 is now installed and all seems well. No resets, either!! Woohoo!!!

17. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Well, FWIW, the requirements DO state very clearly you should start fully charged ... fourth bullet ...

18. ackmondual

ackmondual Mobile Deity

Wait, so there IS a G1 option for t5 users?

19. brush

brush Psychologist

Dear ackmondual,

Yes, G1 works great on my T5. I would like to see a confirmation from someone who has done the ROM update that G1 will reinstall. Do a search for G1 in this forum and you will find the necessary files which are a breeze to install. They must, however be reinstalled if there is a hard reset.

20. akwarner

akwarner Mobile Consultant

I did the update yesterday and my G1 files restored as part of the restore of all my data. It continues to work just fine. Good luck.

A.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.