Tungsten T -> Sony Ericsson T610/T616

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Shinno, Aug 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Anyone currently using this combo??

The T610's are apparently the next generation of T68i's, which were considered to be a horrible companion to Bluetooth capable devices.

I'm about to go with T-Mobile and the new T610, any pro's / con's out there? Thanks

2. Rambler

Rambler Guest

Is T-Mobile seling the T610s yet, and if so for how much? I'd upgrade from my T68i if it was reasonable.

EDIT: Better yet, is the T610 even available in the U.S.? :confused:

3. ChristianJM

ChristianJM Mobile Consultant

I got the T610 from T-Mobile here in Germany and it works like a dream ! As it was brand new, I used the T68i phone drivers and the SMS-App didn't work properly but since Palm released the T610 driver it works perfectly.

The phone btw is the best thing I ever had ;)
    - It's much faster than the T68i
    - It has a great display
    - The integrated camera is a really nice thing to play with
    - It syncs perfectly with my Outlook (don't know if the T68i may also do this...)

Cons would be the small internal memory (I think its 2MB) and a sound problem with some early-generation devices.

Nevertheless it's absolutely recommendable :)

4. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

Rambler, yes it is available here in the US, my coworker just got one and is flamboyantly flashing it to everyone here.

I had the opportunity of using it during a Vegas trip, so I can say firsthand that T-mobile does offer this phone in the US.

It appears that the MSRP is $299.99, but recently on Amazon.com I saw a $220 rebate! $79.99! But unfortunately it is currently out of stock.

ChristianJM - thanks for the mini-review! I think i'm going to hunt for the best deal this weekend. Thanks again :)

5. Rambler

Rambler Guest

Do you know if the T610 has better reception than the T68i?

6. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

hmmm... i wish i can really tell you, but i havn't used the phone much.

From what I know, my coworker said that reception wasn't all that great, and I did experience some trouble when I used it in Vegas... but that could have been the other end's fault, you never know.

According to Amazon.com's user reviews, the reception seems to be great, but i suggest Googling it for more reviews.

Let me know what you find out!!!!!

7. palmdetective

palmdetective Newbie

I recently upgraded from the t68i to the t616 on the Cingular network. I am connecting bluetooth to the GPRS network and it works great. I did have issues though with the t610 modem drivers. I used to be able to dial out threw the internal modem on the t68i but I am getting and error trying that now(with the t610 drivers) Bluetooth works great with my T and my iBook. I was able to get my data transfered over and all are syncing up great. I guess there needs to be an update to make the tungsten work with the t616. I was surprised it did not work. The walk threw on the Tungsten phone link for GPRS was easy.

8. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

AT&T website now shows T616.

Unlike many others who apparently have had problems with the TT<>T68i combo, it has worked flawlessly for me.

9. digital330

digital330 Mobile Evangelist

Is the T|T browser good enough to do casual browsing? Fast enough on T-Mobile data connection? Is it easy to start using BT connection to T68i/T610 after first time setup?

Does anyone have any screenshots of T|T browser?

10. Shinno

Shinno Crazed Owl

JUST GOT MY T616!!!

So far, it seems awesome... the interface is great, the screen is beautiful, and the options are stellar.

However, I have experienced a little reception problem, nothing too big though, just a few blips here and there during voice transmissions... i've yet to experience any dropped calls or blackouts.

ChristianJM, or PalmDetective, or anyone else out there, where would I obtain the necessary T616 drivers for my Tungsten T? I've searched both Sony-Ericsson and Palm's sites, maybe i'm just not looking hard enough - can anyone please advise, thanks :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.