Tungsten E and Wireless Networking (Wi-Fi and Bluetooth)

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Ed Hardy, Dec 31, 2003.

1. jcaiken

jcaiken Mobile Enthusiast

My only comment - I don't think the SanDisk card I bought said that it was not compatible with other Palm PDAs. It only mentioned compatibility with the Zire 71 Palm device.

Perhaps someone could do a comparative review of both.

2. XVII

XVII Mobile Enthusiast

Yeap, though SanDisk not recommend to use with T|E, but you can tweak something to use (I think so, coz someone did, and success), Enfora WiFi is dedicated for T|E, this is a good choice, but someone said it took a little hassle (I don't know what they meant), but as far as I consider, spend more than 150$ for a wifi solution for T|E is not good for me, (plus VAT, shipping fee, .., and fee can be more than 200$), it's too expensive, with a cost like that I can have another PDA with fully functions supported, including WiFi, Bluetooth, Camera 1.3MPx, ..,
    :(
    This is what I mention. How about your, guys? :confused:

3. boosted

boosted Mobile Deity

The SanDisk does work with the T|E, I have it. But it seems to have trouble picking up IP. I haven't tried with many hot spots yet, so I don't know if it's isolated case.

I'm trying to find out if the PalmOne wifi card will work with the T|E, I've been told that it doesn't. But then again, I've been told the SanDisk doesn't either, and I proved that to be false.

I agree that it's time for this thread to be updated, as it stands right now, it's pretty useless. A new comer will be scared and confused to go thru the 20 pages of replies. A veteran would already know the answer, so he wouldn't go thru it. But if he does, it's very tough to sift thru all the information. A lot of conflicting ones I might add. (mostly due to the age of the thread)

4. mikethewizz

mikethewizz Newbie

Just thought I would let anyone who is interested know that I am selling my Enfora Wireless portfolio with USB connector on eBay the auction ends on Thursday July 10. Item number - 5217776786

I am the original owner/user. I am selling this item as I no longer own a Tungsten E. The Company I work for recently switched to Windows Mobile devices, and I no longer have a valid use for this excellent WI-FI solution.

Thanks

5. pdamonster

pdamonster Mobile Evangelist

And to avoid sifting through all pages of this thread, can you post details like the model number on your Sandisk, the driver you used (where did you obtain it), and whatever tips you may have :)

6. jcaiken

Check that you have installed the modified SDIO driver from the Palm site before trying the Wi-Fi card.

The SanDisk Wi-Fi card that supports Zire 71 (and unofficially the T/E) is part number SDWSDB-000-A10M and has H/W code 2.0 or 2.1 on the back.

For the SanDisk Palm Driver for SD Wi-Fi refer to Link http://www.sandisk.com/tech/docs/palm-driver-v3.zip

As browser try WebPro3. It appears to be the generic version of the Zire 71 browser that is shipped with the SanDisk card

INSTALLATION PROCESS (Supplied by SanDisk Tech Support)
    Please try this:
    Remove the SD Wi-FI card.
    Tap on the circle(looks like a T with a small arrow pointing down) under the circle with the house or Home circle.
    Tap on Delete
    Tap NPPI, tap Delete, tap YES
    Tap Pegas_palm5, tap Delete, tap Yes
    Tap WiFi Setup, tap Delete, tap Yes
    Tap WiFi Utilty, tap Delete, tap Yes
    Tap Done
    Soft Reset the PDA
    Connect the Palm to the usb port if it is already not connected.
    Insert the Palm on the Cradle if not already done so.
    Reinstall the driver for the SD Wi-FI card for the Palm Zire. If when attempting to reinstall it asks to "modify, repair, or remove" Remove the driver and then click setup again to reinstall the driver
    When the User list appears, choose the User you want to sync and click next
    Press the Hot Sync button on the cradle
    Click Done and then click Finish to complete the installation
    Remove the PDA from the cradle
    Tap on the home circle
    You should see the two new icons related to SanDisk(WiFi Utility and WiFi setup)
    Tap on the WiFi setup and Tap "I agree"
    You will then be brought back to the Home page.
    Tap on the "Prefs" Icon
    Tap on "Network"
    Tap on Service
    Tap on Wlan
    Tap on Done
    Tap on House or Home icon
    Soft Reset the PDA
    Insert the SD Wi-Fi card
    Tap on WiFi Utility
    From this point, you should see your access points. Choose your access point that you want to connect and tap Connect

7. wellsdesigned

wellsdesigned Mobile Consultant

You've got me curious. Has anyone tried this and made it work?

8. Jared1651

Jared1651 circa1946

I know that a lot of these posts are dated, but the Enfora Portfolio for the Tungsten E works like a dream. The model WLN0104 is for the E and I couldn't be happier with it. Of course Palm came out with the T/E, which solved the whole problem but if you are attached to your E and want wireless connectivity, that is the way to go. Either Enfora.com or Mobile Planet.com have them.

9. wellsdesigned

wellsdesigned Mobile Consultant

I have my T|E sufficiently gadget-ed up that I didn't want to switch to another model so I have the Enfora now and it does work. I did have a hard time finding a web browser that worked well enough. The best option is to get Web Pro 3 by Novarra.

Go to http://www.nwebwireless.com/webpro.htm to find out how to get the software (no longer sold through Palm separately).

10. jcaiken

Just to update the status of the SanDisk SD WiFi card.

The card is no longer produced by SanDisk and the necessary driver has been removed from their system. If necessary I can email a copy on request.