Trying to understand relationship between isync and hotsync

Discussion in 'Sync (Mac and Linux/Palm OS)' started by hhk_ontario, Apr 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hhk_ontario

hhk_ontario Newbie

I just got my Treo 680 working with my MacBook Pro. Trying to hotsync for the first time was a real trial with transport and device in use error messages. Thanks to this forum, I installed using root user and it finally worked.

But now I'm having trouble understanding the relationship between isync and hotsync. Is my isync setup a one-time thing? I see that it replaced the Calendar and Contact sync events so that I now sync with iCal and Contacts. So, can I now forget about isync? Will launching hotsync now update my Treo's calendar and contacts with my iCal and Apple Contact list? Or, do I use the isync button to initiate the hotsync?

And is there any way to initiate the hotsync with my Mac?

2. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

I haven't used iSync for a while simply because I don't like duplication of function. If you're going to include an app that syncs Palms then let it sync palms.

What iSync is is a fancy conduit manager for Address Book and iCal and even Entourage with the right conduit. Its designed to be used with phones and the iPod, mostly, but it will work with Palms, but not without hotsync manager, which itself is a conduit manager.

What's happening with your treo is that it sends a signal which activates HSM. HSM has a conduit which sends contact and calendar info to iSync, which sends the data to the corresponding iApps. There isn't a way that you can hit that SYNC button on iSync to get the process going because it depends on HSM. It seems reasonable to think that you could set that button to launch a script that opens HSM and starts a sync, but you can't even start a sync from HSM itself on the Mac.

You're lucky you got it working at all.

Sorry,
    Robb

3. hhk_ontario

hhk_ontario Newbie

You got that right. I almost threw in the towel. I thought configuring a SIP device was complicated. It was nothing compared to getting my Treo talking to my Mac.

I'm thinking I got sold a bill of goods at the store when they told me it would work no problem with my Mac.

4. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

My TX syncs perfectly with my iMac using the Palm Hotsync. When I tried switching to iSync, I created a huge mess. Apparently (someone smack me if I'm wrong), if you use iSync you lose all your categories in Calendar. I wanted to use iCal instead of the Palm Desktop calendar, but losing the categories certainly wasn't worth it.

5. Souken C.Ingram

Souken C.Ingram Mobile Enthusiast

Syncing a Palm device with a Mac through iSync is an odd thing. Of course a Mac user would want the tight integration among stock apps (iCal and Address Book in this case) but of course Palm syncing on a Mac is just plain fugly.

The explanations above a close, but not 100% accurate. Reality is actualy worse.

Yes, for some reason there is no notion of categories when HotSync and iSync are talking. (Really, HotSync should be talking directly to Sync Servies, and this kind of stuff should then be less of an issue, but I won't go on a rant about this sort of thing.)

The bottom line is if you want to sync a Palm device with a Mac, you must accept one of three things:
    - Your data is stuck in Palm Desktop, and you can't integrate with the stock PIM apps
    - You are not going to have categories (minor issue for some, deal breaker for others)
    - You have to shell out $40 for Mark/Space's Missing Sync for Palm. Missing Sync is a very good application, but if you just spent a few hundred dollars on a device, do you really want to add $40 to that cost?

6. hhk_ontario

hhk_ontario Newbie

That's what I'm thinking - at $399 for an unlocked Treo 680, shouldn't the damn thing work? Especially when it is advertised as working well with Macs? Why should I have to pay $40 to get it to work?

I'm thinking long and hard about either ditching the Treo and going with a Nokia device or ditching my Mac apps and going with the stock Palm Desktop. I really don't want to do either.

7. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

I want to clarify what I clumsily said earlier. Syncing with Palm Desktop works flawlessly for me and I retain all my categories. I would prefer to use iCal, which is why I tried iSync instead, but retaining the categories seemed impossible with iSync. If you can live with Palm Desktop, you should do just fine.

8. RobbM

RobbM Big Shot in the Lab

Here's what I do with my data:

I abandoned iSync long ago. I like iCal and AB, but I paid hundreds of dollars for Office and so I wanted to use Entourage. Plus, as you might imagine because I don't like duplication of function, I prefer an app that puts as many functions in one place as possible (so yeah, I do miss AppleWorks sometimes).

I use HSM with the Entourage conduit (which is finicky, but once you figure it out, it works fine). It also does not honor categories the way PD would, but I don't assign them on the Palm and I have no trouble quickly adjusting them in Entourage. So for me, it works fine.

I'm really surprised that iSync can speak Palm's language even now. Palm (or Access, or whomever) must really be tight-fisted with the code for hotsync.