Trying to decide between Palm TX and HP ipaq Travel Companion

Discussion in 'General Smartphone/Handheld/Wearable Discussion' started by kchriste, Nov 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kchriste

kchriste Newbie

Hello all,

I am looking to replace a Tungsten E with either the TX from palm or the possibly the HP ipaq Travel Companion. I have only used palm devices but am nervous about the longevity and durability of my next PDA. I heard a lot about the problems with the screens on the palms lately. I also read in some reviews that the travel companion was a little buggy when it first came out. Have those been worked out now that it has been out for a while? Thanks for any help differentiating between these two.

I'll be using the wifi a lot on any new pda I get. Other pertinent information is that I do a lot of driving in my local area for my job and would hope to use the GPS to find out of the way addresses. Or would have to use the wifi connection on the TX to pull directions on mapquest to refer to while I drive.
    thanks again for any help kip

2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

While the iPaq 5915 that I reviewed was indeed a little sketchy on some points, it's worth noting (as I did in the review) that it was a pre-production unit, not a finalized and retail-boxed device as are most that we get for review. It's possible that it was still running a beta version of the ROM that would be altered or fixed before loading onto the production models. Personally, I don't know for sure--I haven't used a 5915 since the original review.

Does your area have wide-area WiFi? If it doesn't, I doubt that you'd get reliable enough connectivity to check addresses on the move.

3. BAB2000

BAB2000 An "Olde Moderator" #2 Super Moderator

As Adama indicated. Yet I would never suggest or recommend using your handheld while driving no matter the reason.

This would require to much of your attention, and could be harmful to others as well as yourself.

Do you have a lot of information on your TE? And do you presently sync with Outlook or the Palm desktop?

Porting the data from the TE to TX will be a breeze, and if you utiloze Outlook the same to a WinMob type device.

4. Barry Rau

Barry Rau Mobility!!

part of your choice is purely PDA based (personal needs) I have had a 5915 TC and as a PDA it was solid. As a gps it was also a solid performer (Production unit) it also came with an impressive set of accessories including desk & car charger plus a windshield car mount. Just set it before you start and let Tom Tom guide you along on your trip.

Cheers
    BR

5. kchriste

kchriste Newbie

You are quite right. What I would have to resort to is downloading mapquest directions before I left my office wifi connection to refer to possibly stoping along the way. Obviously not ideal:eek:

I have a fair amount of information on my TE in contacts and extensive appointments schedule. The TE sync's with Lotus notes via a go between program EasySync Pro. Would this be a fiasco to try and get information on the the HP from the TE?

6. Barry Rau

Barry Rau Mobility!!

There is a program (sorry I don't recall the app) that has a sync conduit for Lotus Notes to Windows Mobile Devices. We used to use Notes and I was using it (it was not perfect but it did pim/email ok but not data bases).

Cheers
    BR

7. sjordi

sjordi Mobile Consultant

kchriste, I too was a long time Palm user.
    I switched to a Sony Clié because the Palm digitizer seemed to drift, especially on the Tungsten models, and they never fixed that.
    Now I made the switch to an HP iPaq 111 (wanted the 211 but it's delayed until Q1 2008).
    Why? Because more and more software for Palm are now abandoned as the future of PalmOS is less than certain.
    Windows Mobile looks and feels a bit weird after the Palm, and I think it's not as reactive as the Palm, but I can definitely recommand you to make the switch. Thus, your investment will last for 4-5 years at least. On the Palm, it's not sure that your favorite apps will still be around in a year.

8. Barry Rau

Barry Rau Mobility!!

just a Thought (for info only, because this has to be a personal choice) but many App developers are cross platform (Palm, WM, Symbian) some the reg codes will work, some you can get a free cross grade and some will cross grade you for a discounted fee. some of the big apps HandBase, Tome Raider, EvSys Dictionary, World Mate, Palm Reader, MobiReader, BEIKS products and many others. (often the data is compatable, converters are provided or just change the data file ext from .pdb to the cross platform counterpart) I had a Palm Pilot 1000 oh so long ago...

Cheers
    BR

9. mapson

mapson Mobile Enthusiast

I use a rx5915 Travel Companion and it has worked really well for me. It is a full featured WM5 PPC and it can also function as a GPS device very similar to the TomTom One PND. The rx5915 is most compelling for those who need the GPS function as well as the PDA functions. Having it all in one package is very convenient. You can navigate to addresses in your PDA contact database, and you can use the GPS with PDA apps like Google Maps, Windows Live Search, etc. I don't have any experience with the TX, but I think the main difference is the integrated GPS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.