Trying out contact lenses for the first time.. I can't stop crying..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Well, that probably wouldn't be an option financially for quite some time. But first, I suppose I should actually go have my eyes examined and see just what the situation is. Just whining about not seeing things clearly when they're too close just doesn't sound like a very good diagnosis :rolleyes:

Great! Thanks a lot! Older... Hmph!

Actually, wait until, in a single day, you encounter a boss, a policeman, two surgeons, and a pastor, all of whom are younger than you... Joy... :eek:

It's not the concept that I have a problem with. After some of the major medical "mis"-adventures I've endured, I wouldn't psychologically mind pulling my eyeballs out, scrubbing them, and popping them back in. My problem is an overly sensitive reflex when it comes to anything getting close to my eyes, much less in one...

Oh, well... It's really neither here nor there for me at this particular point. Maybe one day I'll actually get the ol' peepers checked and see what, if anything, I should do...

2. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

I've tried both the gas permeable (hard) and the soft ones and finally gave up after years of trying them. Glasses are so much better.

Gas permeable were horrifying. If you put them in incorrectly, they are hellish and get stuck at the corner of your eyes and hurts like hell. Believe me, I went through hell trying to get them out, even with that little "plunger" thingie. Kind of hard when you are in pain with that plastic stuck at the corner of your eye. Forget about mastering the act of doing the "blink" to pop them out. It didn't work at all for me. I think I tried wearing the hard lenses for a few awful months before finally throwing in the towel.

Soft contacts were much easier but I used toric lenses because of astigmatism and I find that although they were okay, they didn't compare to glasses for viewability and reading. I didn't like how sensitive my eyes were to the environment. Too cold, too humid, too dry, too whatever can make my eyes uncomfortable. Way too many variables can make me feel awful and they just weren't worth it. I think that my eyes were just too sensitive to really adjust completely to something foreign in the eye. And sometimes I get lazy and sleep with them and they aren't great either. I started with torics in the very beginning, then tried the gas permeables thinking that they would give me better vision and then back to soft before I finally went back to glasses.

Not to mention the protein tablets and rinsing and cleaning and all those fun stuff. And they never rinse all the stuff out perfectly so everytime I put them back on after cleaning, they burn. Goodness. Like I said, I finally gave up and never looked back. Glasses never gave me such hassles so glasses will forever be for me. Not that it really made that much of a difference in my appearance anyway. Actually, I never got used to seeing myself without glasses anyway. I look at those pics and I kind of cringe.

3. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Good morning hc! <OHD waves.> Still crying? ...are you sure this crying thing doesn't have anything to do with our "incident" yesterday and you having been put in the closet? I'm just saying. :p

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

*hc stumbles into the room, all blurry eyed, looking like hell* Yes.. after yesterday, and sitting in that nightmare classroom, I'm still struggling with these confounded things. Thankfully today is an easy day. No class, no place to go. I can sit around the house, and sniffle away. :eek: Ok, it's too darn early for this. Just drove my wife in to work. I'm going back to bed.

5. Ohappydaye

Ohappydaye Wonder Palmstress

Aww, I'm sorry shug...hope your day gets better. <OHD is jealous, as she wants to go back to bed too.>

6. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

Hmm, "Super Clenz"? Why, I've been using that for years to remove soap scum, rust stains, and water spots! Egad, you put some in your eyes!? ;)

WyreNut

7. headcronie

Journal entry 2.5 (yesterday can't really count for a full day).

Got the darned bugger in my left eye first try. Don't really notice it.. so far. Right eye.. *scream* Darn thing kept folding... my eye was rather unhappy and unreceptive by the 3rd try. Queue up the nose.. yep, my nose is working. Darn things give me the sniffles still. Lets see, today I'm supposed to try to wear them for 6-7 hours. Man.. that's a long time from now. Hope nobody has to call the mental ward on me.

Today I was extra careful to inspect them for any debris. Tried some different techniques to keep them lint free. We'll see if that helps any..

~headcronie

8. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Keep them out of the sock drawer. I've heard that helps. And don't tumbledry them with towels. Poor Headcronie. :(

9. headcronie

Journal entry 2.5.1

I applied the same method I used when applying my screen protector to my TE. Hot and steamy bathroom. Fresh out of the shower, hands rinsed and air dried. Seems to have had zero effect on my irritation levels. About ready to call optical center and see what's going on...

10. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

I think that's a good idea, hc. Some ittiration is normal, your eyes don't really want strange objects on them, but it won't hurt to have things checked out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.