Trying out contact lenses for the first time.. I can't stop crying..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Good luck HC. I know from others it takes time to get used to it.

2. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

If I understood you correctly, I've got the thickest disposable contacts. I've got monthly wear contacts. So, there are chances I could go thinner. Problem that may hold me back is that I've got an astigmatism. I'm not sure which ones will correct for that.

My eyes are not like rocks, that's for sure. They're soft, and react quickly to poking by fingers and the like. :eek:

I'm hoping I can make it work with contacts, as glasses tend to give me a headache. That is probably a result of improper fit though.. That, and I hate picking out new glasses. I feel like such a dork. That's probably the time when feel the most self conscious. Go figure.

3. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

Try bigger fonts. :D

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  4. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

Thankfully, I don't have a problem seeing short distances. It's everything across the room, and further out. Right now, everything has this warm fuzzy feeling to it. I have to recognize people by the way they walk, because I can't see their face until they're closer ... I just missed the requirements to be street legal without corrective vision. So, now you know I'm not completely blind..

Last edited by a moderator: May 18, 2015
  5. Curious Cat

Curious Cat Mobile Deity Super Moderator

My wife had Lasik. She was worse off then you and now she sees better than me! I belived she had an astigmatism also.

6. noobette

noobette AKA skeletal_surfer

I wore contacts for about 12 years, then quit when I had a baby. He was a colicky preemie, and I was lucky if I had gotten dressed and managed to brush my teeth by the end of the day. I was lazy and never went back to them - the cleaning was a drag. A few months ago (11 years later) I decided to give them another go. I tried three different kinds, and none of them were comfortable enough to wear for long. After 3 hours or so, I was more than ready to take them out. My eyes felt sticky all the time. The optician tactfully told me that the older you are, the harder it is to get used to them, I think because your eyes don't have as much moisture. That made me feel old! I'm sure not used to doctors being younger than I am! I would like to be able to wear them, because dirty/foggy/wet glasses are a PITA.

7. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Let's see ... my work bottle is "Naphcon A - Eye Allergy Relief". I have a different solution at home. The bottle says that you are supposed to take the lenses out first but that has never been an issue with me, however, I've been wearing the two week extended wear variety for 6 years plus now. Hope it helps, dryness and allergy symptoms are my number one and two reason for using the drops!
    Sooory to hear that Noobette! Don't give up there are so many different brands. I've gone to two shops on the same street in a SF village and neither optometrist had the same brands as the other! Go figure? some type of internal optometry battle conspiracy or something?!:eek:

8. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

I never needed glasses until I was 48, but I can not handle the concept of putting stuff in my eyes. I know, I know... millions do it and its just fine. Doesn't matter, it's the concept that stops me. I just can't do it and never will. :D

<plus, I just don't find glasses any trouble>

9. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hey Hook! I'm not at all trying to convince you, but my experience sucked big time. My wife would laugh and laugh at my struggles, first year of marriage too, what's up wid dat!

Then I just happened to watch someone in the optometrist office and they pulled the bottom lid down and put the contact on the white area, less sensitive to touch, and woo hoo ... after months of humiliation I was a contact wearer.

10. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

HC, I wore lenses since 1983, and have worn Extended Wear lenses since 1987, but for Daily use. I take them out at night. They are thinner and I began using them when my son was a toddler because they were safe to nap in (not adhering to my eyes causing damage.) Normal wear schedule was always 3 hours on Day 1, increasing by an hour each day, max wear time at 14 hours. I even was part of the test group for Bifocal contacts in 1993 and wore those until 2003, when my vision suddenly improved to the point that for the last 4 years I haven't had to wear anything. (My left eye is near-vision & my right eye is distance. This has always been the case, but currently they work in harmony with each other. BLISS! :D )

Back to your situation. My son began wearing his lenses again last week, and depends heavily (as did I) on Refresh Contacts drops for when you're wearing the lenses. Comfort is excellent & use as needed. We both have severe allergies so it must be a gentle product.

My worst experience was with a product called SuperClenz or something like that, a quickie cleaner that I was allergic to so badly that my eyes flamed red & swelled shut after lenses were cleaned just once with product. The lenses & even lens case were tainted so badly that I had to throw all away. My eye doctor filed a report with the AMA. Product was pulled from market shortly thereafter.

Point is, lenses should feel mildly annoying during first days of wear, but never so bad that you want to claw them out. :( My other best tip (my eye doctor does the same as I did) is to use gentle saline, a separate daily cleaner, and then soak in disinfecting solution. Rinse with saline for at least 30 seconds before inserting lens so that it is most friendly to you. It should be a freeing experience, not torture.

HTH. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.