Trying out contact lenses for the first time.. I can't stop crying..

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by headcronie, Feb 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. headcronie

headcronie Greyscale. Nuff Said. Super Moderator

How hellish is it trying out contacts? Do your eyes adjust to having a big rubber thingie attached to them? I'm constantly sniffling and my eyes are watering... *sniffle* Good grief.. I'm happy I really am, I just look like I came from a funeral is all. :D

2. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

It takes a little while to have them build up a little callus (oversimplifying, but true). However, if your eyes don't stop tearing you may not be able to handle the material they are made of OR maybe there's a little bit of irritant on one of them. Clean really well and try again.

3. AKAJohnDoe

AKAJohnDoe Mobile Deity

I've been wearing contacts for several decades. Never did quite get used to hard lenses, and could only wear the gas permeable ones for the work day, but these soft lenses that go in in the morning and come out at bedtime and get thrown away every two weeks are comfy - except during pollen season.

Many folks have reactions to the solutions, you might try another one.

4. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Oh der. I've never tried them. How long are you going to persevere? :(

5. Pulster

Pulster Mobile Deity

I had a bit of trouble when I 1st started wearing contacts (daily disposable) as like you I kept getting watery eyes, uncomfortable and was generally not impressed.

My optician swapped me to some monthly disposable lenses and everything was resolved - though did drop a few down the sink when cleaning them due to overdoing the alcohol intake a few times ;)

So glad I went for contacts after 25+ years of spectacle wearing, makes buying sunglasses much easier :)

If discomfort continues try a different brand or type of lens can make a huge difference.

Good luck :)

And I agree with AKAJohndoe's comment about the solutions - I need one for sensitive eyes {ahh bless}

6. headcronie

I can feel the ridge, no stinging. This is day 2.

Just feels like I've got an eyelash in each eye. My checkup appointment is next Friday...

Hmmm.. class time. This should be interesting!

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

Interesting this should come up... I refuse to admit that the years are marching onward, but I'm having to face the fact that my arms are simply not long enough anymore for much reading :( Was talking with a couple of guys at work just a day or so ago about possibly getting my eyes checked and the likelihood I would need glasses. But... I'm blind as a bat in bright light - Always have been, and slightly overcast days are the worst. So I ALWAYS wear good sunglasses when outdoors, regardless of the weather. That makes me think that contacts would be the way to go for me, as I cannot give up my shades and probably couldn't / wouldn't want to afford a pair of regular glasses PLUS a prescription set of good sunglasses. (I've found the Serengeti Drivers lenses are the best.) And carrying around two pair and constantly switching would drive me nuts!

Trouble is, I can't even put drops in my eyes. There's no way I could shove little pieces of plastic in my eyes. Anybody with experience have any advice should I end up actually doing something about my less-than-perfect vision?

<Joe-Boy misses the day, just a few short years ago, when he could lay a dollar bill on the table and actually read the micro-printing with no magnification... :mad: >

OK... Now that THAT depressing fact of life is out there, I'll refill my coffee cup, think about a nap, and return to my second childhood... :D

8. berylrb

berylrb Mobile Deity

Hey HC,

did you get the concave the right direction? That will feel like an eyelash.

I know it is winter, but sometimes allergies will cause the itchy drippy thing, there are drops that I use in the summer and the relief is almost instantaneous!

9. PDA Bach

PDA Bach Dunsel

@JRakes: How about LASIK?

10. headcronie

Yeah, I got the concave the right way. It looks all weird if it's inside out..

What drops would those be? Man... it's dry as heck in this classroom. Egads...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.