Tribalfusion?

Discussion in 'Site Suggestions, Help and Announcements' started by Fiatal, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fiatal

Fiatal Mobile Deity

Who, or what, is Tribalfusion, and why are they downloading data every time I go to a different Brighthand page, seemingly locking up for a while before things finish loading? I suspect that it has something to do with the University of Phoenix (a former employer many years ago) and the everpresent ads that seem to appear all over the web.

Al D.

2. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Tribalfusion is known spyware, software (cookies, files, registry entries, etc) that gets into your PC and spy and report on your surfing habits, steals personal info from it and generally annoy you. What you describe sounds like a real infection. You should try a spyware removal tool, I personally prefer SpyHunter. Run a google search on "spyware", you'll find lots of apps to deal with this threat.

3. NetBrakr

NetBrakr Gone With The Wind

Spybot Search & Destroy, works for me and also very popular. You also get adware removal software, I prefer Ad-Aware.

JC

4. Fiatal

Fiatal Mobile Deity

I have both AdAware and Spybot. Maybe I should run them more than once a week.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was tied in with this site or not.

Al D.

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

According to Computer Associates to remove tribalfusion, find and delete this file: opr000e1.js

6. WyreNut

WyreNut Palm Aficionado

I've seen this happening also on one of my machines... Tribalfusion's website has BrightHand's logo prominently displayed on it's "PDA Channel" (whatever that means...)

Ed, do you care to comment on this? Is BrightHand tied into TribalFusion? Do you use their services for your advertisements?

WyreNut

7. handorf

handorf Mobile Deity

bump

8. Malice

Malice Mobile Consultant

Tribal is an ad network that serves the ads you see on this site (and many others). It's likely the banners you may be seeing.

You can block tribal ads via your hosts file.

http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

9. jushen1

jushen1 Mobile Deity

Put aside that there exist numerous ways to disable the pop-up ads, it is still hard to believe that Brighthand employs such an annoying way to make money (why am I surprised? :rolleyes: )

Maybe it's because the traffic flow here is so dismal, the site owner decided each visitor should see as many ads as he could be crammed. :eek:

100 person/per day * 1000 ads/per person is not bad, after all.

The site ownder of course has all the rights to do what ever pleases his wallet, yet eventually this kind of instruding advertising simply drives out some visitors to other more visitor-friendly websites.

10. Fiatal

Fiatal Mobile Deity

I appreciate the information on the host file, but in looking it over it appears beyond my level of time and interest. It's sort of like trying to take out your own appendix. I'm sure that there are many qualified and capable people who could do this, I'm just not interested in being one of them.

I switched to Mozilla Foxfire recently and that cut out all the popups. I ran AdAware and Spybot last night. The Tribal Fusion business was no major problem...once. Now, when I log onto Brighthand, I get the same long pause. I also noticed the same from doubleclick.

Perhaps the easiest solution is to just go get a cup of coffee when I come to Brighthand.

Thanks,

Al

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.