Treo 680 Popping Up All Around the World

Discussion in 'Headline News' started by Ed Hardy, Mar 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

The Palm Treo 680 debuted late last year in the United States, and since then this Palm OS smartphone has gone on the market in numerous countries around the world.

[​IMG]
    (view large image)

Possibly the most significant of these is China. It is now being offered in cooperation with CEC Telecom Science and Technology Co., Ltd. and one of Palm's distribution partners, Beijing Riverwill Communication Technology Co. Ltd..

The Treo 680 has also recently debuted on some new South American carriers: Argentina's CTI Movil and Peru's Claro, who also began offering this device in El Salvador and Guatemala last month.

Other countries where the Treo 680 is available include France, Mexico, the Philippines, Singapore, and Switzerland.

More About the Treo 680

This smartphone greatly resembles previous Treos, but does not need the unpopular external antenna that those models had to have. It is also thinner that its predecessors.

The 680 runs Palm OS Garnet, and includes 64 MB of user-available storage.

It is a GSM quad-band smartphone with support for GPRS and EDGE. It also includes Bluetooth.

Naturally, this Treo includes a suite of PIM applications -- Address Book, Calendar, To-Do list. It is also bundled with a suite of applications that will allow users to view and edit Microsoft Office documents.

An SD slot for additional storage and a 0.3 megapixel camera are also part of this model.

For more information about the Palm Treo 680 and for availability and prices in different regions, visit www.palm.com/Treo680.

Related Articles

Last edited by a moderator: May 20, 2015
  2. PatrickS

PatrickS Gadget Magnet

Like, the Great White North, too, eh? Hoser.

Odd how nobody's ever noticed the 680 actually has 69 MB of memory, not 64, if you're willing to count MB as "one million".

3. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

Hey Ed, don't forget Belgium ;)
    It is not available through a provider, but it can be bought here from some local online stores (= unlocked). I guess this will be the case for quite some other countries as well.

PatrickS,
    It indeed has close to 70 Mb main memory (69.03 Mb to be exact using the 1024*1024 definition for 1 Mb). Was one of the first things I noticed when I first got it, though I never bothered to comment on it.

4. Ed Hardy

Ed Hardy TabletPCReview Editor Staff Member

I'm only listing the countries where it's available through a wireless service provider. I'm sure you can get it virtually anywhere if you go through a gray market retailer.

5. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

In my wanderings yesterday I saw a post about a 680 with Arabic localization and keyboard, available at a store the Middle East (forgot where). OP was wondering if this is the real thing or a customization of some sort. I'm wondering too.

6. davidberens

davidberens Mobile Evangelist

What is shocking is that the T680 is not available through a carrier in the UK yet despite Palm having set up in Ireland and is available on Orange in France but not in the UK. What is going on!

7. DJ Rome

DJ Rome Tinkerer & Dealer

I would really consider getting one of these, but the lack of a good camera kills it. If I could insert my K800i lens in there, I would switch immediately.

8. TarekAHF

TarekAHF Mobile Deity

Yes, I made this post.
    I was happy to see this Treo. This is the first time ever I see a Treo with a Built-in Arabic/English Keyboard. Good move, although a bit late (better late than never).

I was considering switching from Palm TX to Treo 680, but due to the Lack of Wireless Internet, I decided to hold for a while (I currently use Nokia 6280+Palm TX).

I always wonder how come Palm was the first PDA which had Arabic Palm OS (even before PocketPC). Then all of a sudden, all other Smart-phone and PDA Providers (Nokia/i-Mate), were able to be far ahead of Palm in terms of Arabization (support Arabic Unicode for MS-Office and Internet Browsing for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.