Treo 650 Verizon Update Available Now

Discussion in 'Palm' started by Dick Tracy, Oct 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

2. holvoetn

holvoetn Still a moderator ...

(might make it easier for some to follow ;) )

3. r0k

r0k Dazed

Verizon users
    You might not want to do this update (1.05)

I tried and no longer have a smartphone. It went into a reset loop on the e911 updater screen. Multiple hard resets, zero out resets and I cannot get the phone back.

No, it's not my software. I'm not running any of the apps known to interfere with the update. My phone was stable before attempting this update. What a mistake.

I'm on the phone with verizon to get a replacement Treo 650. It looks as if I will be without a smartphone for a few days, thanks to palm.com.

I have spent about 3 hours on this misadventure, bending paper clips to make reset pokers so I can press hotsync, up AND power while resetting. It appears that if the rom update gos part of the way through and hangs, your phone becomes a mere pda. A lot like a z22 actually.

4. Dick Tracy

Dick Tracy Detective/Moderator

Yikes! how terrible r0k. :mad:

Edit: did a little snooping and this person was successful with the alt user method. If it helps any...

5. r0k

r0k Dazed

I tried the alt user method. It turns out that a failed e911 update is an achilles heel for this update. My new phone arrives Thursday. Until then I have a z22 with an antenna sticking out one end :(.

Edit: Back to 1.04?

(well that's not entirely accurate. I was at 1.03 but the only way to downgrade is to go to 1.04 since I didn't think to back up my phone with a rom tool before applying the 1.05 update)

Hey I found my old 1.04 updater lying around my hard drive. My motto: delete nothin'

If it works, I will keep 1.04 on my phone and cancel the replacement phone. I'd rather have a working phone now than a refurb or even a new phone Thursday.

The bar graph has already made it to 50 percent. A good sign. I might have to activate the phone all over again since it was wiped by the failed 1.05 update, but if it powers on and acts like a phone, I'm good to go.

So far the phone is working again. I guess I will shy away from 1.05 for now. THANK GOD I had 1.04 lying around my hard drive. 1.05 tries to do the update incrementally beginning with E911. Since that step failed, it left my phone in an unusable state. Now I am going to get a rom tool so I can back up my own ROM doggone it!

Now to call Verizon and cancel the shipment. I don't think they will appreciate receiving a working phone with a newer ROM version (1.04) than the one I gave them for the repair (1.03) ;).

6. aetrix9

aetrix9 Pronounced "Aye-Tree"

So has anybody been successful with this update? I'm working on it with my Mac and there's these funky instructions requiring installation from an expansion card along with the normal installation-via-hotsync instructions.

I'm going to try the normal installation-via-hotsync method and see how it goes. I'll update with status.

7. r0k

r0k Dazed

Beware the hotsync version. I would rather take an old sd card and put ONLY the upgrade prc's on it than to risk letting the automated thing ruin my phone. In all fairness, I must admit that a number of users have reported a smooth install, but I want to draw attention that it's not risk free at all.

8. tbrowngeb

tbrowngeb Newbie

Sorry to hear you had major problems with the update rOK. I updated my Treo this morning and had no problems - works fine (went from 1.04 to 1.05). I used the Windows update and completed it about 20 minutes.

9. r0k

r0k Dazed

My replacement phone arrives today. Now that my phone is at version 1.04, it's worth trying the update once I have a spare on hand. If the new phone already has 1.05 I will test the phone to make sure all the features work and just use it and send my old one back. The only risk with a refurb phone is that I'm inheriting somebody else's problems and the refurb process may have missed whatever issue the phone was returned for. My bluetooth car kit is working again now that my phone is up to 1.04, so the only reason to try 1.05 is for speed and stability improvements that I want. My 1.03 phone was rock solid for over 6 months, but I never used blazer and versamail. I'm hoping the versions that come with 1.05 are more stable.

10. Mboy

Mboy Mobile Deity

I just finished the Verizon 1.05 update. (If I had read your post first, I probably would have skipped it). It did complete and and everything works, but there is this weird bug that happenned to me. When I tried pairing my bluetooth headset, right at the point where you are prompted to put in the passkey, a window pops up over the entry point "Keyguard: Locking buttons and touchscreen" and turns the display off. Even with the preferences set to not have the keyguard function, it still locks itself at the same point of the bluetooth setup. I even hard-reset the phone and tried just the bluetooth pairing: same thing. I tried re-performing the 1.05 update: Same thing.
    In the end, I found that if you hit the center button of the D-pad a couple of times when the Keyguard window pops up, during the headset pairing; that it will stop the lock and keep you at the passkey entry point. Then you can finish the process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.