Transitioning from Palm Z22 to Nokia Lumia 635 Ha!

Discussion in 'Windows Phone' started by Jerry_NJ, Mar 17, 2015.

1. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Not really a transition, the Palm was a lousy phone.... but I had that for a PDA and continued to use the Palm Desk Top for my calendar and file of useful notes.

I'd like to port the calendar history into my Nokia Lumia 635 (calendar, assume it has one) and the notes into some note-like folder on my Nokia....possible? It would be nice to have the notes come over as a group of individual files, not a brain dump into one file.

The Nokia is my first smart phone, welcome any and all advice... I use windows 8.1 on my laptop and the Nokia has Windows 8.1 for smart phones, so stuff like the tiles look familiar.

2. Hook

Hook Phone Killer ;-) Arrrrr...f

I don't know Windows Phone very well, but there are a couple of things you could do here although you'll have to look up the details. Companion Link software will move your Palm Desktop items. Companion Link software is pricey, but it has a 14 day trial and you could do either of the following two things for free during that 14 day trial.

1. You could Install Deja Office for Windows Phone, which is free and them Companion Link will sync the contents of Palm Desktop over. You wouldn't be able to keep syncing unless you were willing to pay, but you could use Deja Office on your phone.

2, You could use Companion Link to sync Palm Desktop with Outlook.com and then sync that to the Outlook.com mobile app on your Windows phone.

http://www.companionlink.com/windowsphone/

Hint: in order to have both options for the 14 day trial, download the trial of Companion Link professional. If you decide to buy CL pick either CL for Palm Desktop or CL for Outlook.com depending on which you want to use.

scjjtt and RickAgresta like this.
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Mobile Deity

Thanks, nice to learn my question isn't a dumb idea.

I suppose 99% of the folks who used to use Palm have moved to smart phone land long ago. I've been putting it off and just using email and cell phone (and wireline phone)... but I'm getting complaints about email telling me to text them, and rouge to make me send shorter messages I believe.

I can live with the Palm desktop to search my notes and history, not worth a lot of effort to cost to port it to the Smart Phone. For now I just want to add easy texting to my cell phone experience .. putting in even short-hand short messages using the old phone dial isn't happy texting for me. The other applications will grow and I try them.

The smart phone I purchased is listed by AT&T as useable on Gophone (prepay) for which I have a few hundred dollars to spend due to the roll-over from year to year. I just don't cell phone call enough to use the $100 annual purchase of minutes I have made over the years.

Rambling on, is a screen protector advised?

scjjtt likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Screen protector question: in general less needed than for a Palm, due to tech advances in screen material --Gorilla glass™ is tough stuff. Its' protection *does*not* apply to dropping problems, though -- for that reason, many (but not all) use some sort of protection for the phone.
    hth, Rick

scjjtt likes this.
  5. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Last edited: Mar 22, 2015