transferring palm tx desktop data to iphone 4

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by campus56, Jun 14, 2012.

1. campus56

campus56 Mobile Enthusiast

hi, i'd like to transfer my palm tx desktop contacts, memos and tasks to my iphone 4s.

my palm desktop version is 4.20

thanks, in advance, for advice.

2. Hook

Hook Cat and Mouse and Linux

If you want to do it in an integrated fashion without using the cloud or Outlook, your options are very limited. Look into Companion Link and Deja Office which will allow you to keep using Palm Desktop.

iPhone Sync Software - Sync contacts, calendar, tasks and notes -- CompanionLink Software

If you are fine with Google and other cloud services and with not necessarily having a local desktop, or have Outlook, there are more options (which other iPhone users will be more familiar with than I am). Look at Pocket Informant and Calengoo for starters.

3. jimsan

jimsan Newbie

Hi I just wanted all my Palm data on my iphone for reference only. So I printed to pdf all of them and have them stored in the Adobe Reader app. Otherwise I'm starting anew.

4. r0k

r0k Dazed

I had a crash of my Palm datebook db. I exported everything to pdf and that's my only record of my older calendar. Then I got a Mac and used Palm Desktop for OSX. It worked quite well but I really wanted to give Address and iCal a try so I exported from Palm Desktop and imported to iCal and Address. It was flawless until I switched to Blackberry and my sync started making duplicates. It happened both with Missing Sync and with BB Desktop for OSX. Meanwhile I got an iPod Touch "free" in 2009 and found it synced flawlessly with my Mac. It gradually replaced my BB. When I got an iPad, all my contacts were on it before I left the Apple store (OTA via MobileMe). When I was able to switch carriers, I got an iPhone 4 in Fall 2010.

Overall I felt the transition from Palm to iOS was very easy. I should also mention that I avoid iTunes. It is a bit bloated for my taste.

If you want to go from TX to iOS, you can export your data from Palm Desktop and import it into iCal and Address. You can import memos into Mail. I know it's clunky but the memos app is part of the Mail app. Create a memo in your iCloud account and it shows up on all your devices. Lastly there are todos. I never used these so I never had to import them. BTW, if you need to migrate your data from Palm Desktop, you'd better do it before upgrading to Lion because Palm Desktop is a PPC app and can only run under Rosetta which is gone beginning with Lion.

5. Rubyrose

Rubyrose Newbie

Hi All,

I got an Iphone & am trying to find a way to transfer all my Palm data into the Iphone. I am not tech savvy.

I did checkout Companion Link & it looks like they have a way to sync all my data from the Palm Desktop into the Iphone.

My only problem is that I have not synced my T3 to the Palm Desktop program for several years. I have been backing up my T3 with BackupMan on an SD card which is a godsend.

But I need to get my data back into the PD in order to be able for Companion Link to transfer it to the phone.

Does anyone have any advice on whether I should try to sync my T3 data back with the PD since it has been quite a while since I did it or is there some other way to sync the data on the SD card to the PD?

A few months ago woz helped me get my custom keyboard back after a hard reset & I remember him saying he didn't think it was a good idea to use my PD at that time.

Anyone know the best way to do this?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

6. Hook

Ruby, I know in principle what you need to do but I can't give you much advice because I haven't used Palm Desktop since 2009, so I can't tell you how to do things.

I think Woz may have been cautioning against a two-way sync, which you certainly don't want. You need to set all the PIM conduits in Palm desktop to "Handheld Overwrites Desktop" and then sync. This should erase any old data stored in Palm Desktop and replace it with all the data on your T3. Then you should be good to go. Since you have a backup via backupman, this is pretty low risk-- you can always replace the data on the T3 and start again.

You might contact Companion Link if you have troubles as they really know the ins and outs of making this move.

I'm sorry I'm not more help, but I never used Palm Desktop much when I did have Palms (I used Outlook), so now I can barely remember.

RickAgresta likes this.
  7. r0k

r0k Dazed

I seem to remember that in PD, you could go through conduit by conduit and pick "handheld overwrites desktop". You should do this for all conduits and then go ahead and do a sync. If the sync blows up your Palm device, go ahead and restore from a recent backupman backup, tweak sync settings and try again.

Then there is the matter of getting stuff out of PD and onto your iPhone. When I did this I was on a Mac so I exported from PD on OSX to files which could be easily imported into my Mac's address book and calendar apps. I then used a Blackberry for a while before seeing the light and getting an iPhone.

I seem to recall that on Windows, PD didn't seem to have that many export options. I still remember what brought me to Palm many years ago. I was a Sharp organizer user and when I tried to "upgrade" I was told my old records were not compatible with the newer generation of Sharp organizers. I coughed up the big bucks (at the time) and got my first Palm. Everything came over flawlessly.

Since switching to Palm, the ability to get my data both in and out of any platform is an absolute requirement before I begin using it. Palm has more or less supported getting data in and out all along. Both Google (Android, gmail, etc) and Apple (iOS) support this as well. You might run into a problem getting calendar data out of PD. It seems to me this was the one area Palm was unwilling to support any sort of plain text export but for me my more valuable data was always in contacts and memos rather than calendar and todos.

I found an article on HP's web site about exporting data from Palm desktop, here.

After posting this, I took at companionlink's web site. If you plan on moving from your T3 to iPhone, you can buy their 90 day subscription and be done. If you want to keep both, you can buy a permanent license. It would seem that companionlink is not dependent on any export feature of PD so it's definitely worth a try, especially since there is a trial available.

8. Hook

9. lorrainethorne

lorrainethorne Newbie

If I remember correctly, you'll need to sync your palm with the Palm Desktop first to ensure all your data is saved, then reinstall it and select that you want to sync with Outlook instead of Palm Desktop. As Hawk said, you do need to have Outlook installed. Also, the other way is to try Phone to iPhone Transfer, it can transfer data to iPhone easily.