Transferring Palm Calendar to HTC Desire

Discussion in 'Android OS' started by Pinmac, Jan 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Not sure if this belongs here or in the Palm forum. I've had my Desire for 3 days now and absolutely love it (when I can pry it from my 11 year old's hands!). I've had a play with lots of the features with still loads to go but now I need to get serious and transfer my calendar across from my Palm TX. It has 6 years of data on it which I would like to keep if possible. I wil also need to transfer my Contacts.

I'm finding it really difficult to find out how to do it. I've read a few threads on here and have tried PDB Converter but am having no joy with the Java although my system says that I have it installed. I found a paid for program for £30 but this seems like a lot for a one-off program. I also found Companion Link which seems to indicate that it can do what I want and offers a free trial but I can't work out why anyone would the nap $39.95 for the software if it does what you want in a free trial? So maybe I have the wrong end of the stick.

Has anyone transferred their calendar from Palm to Android and can steer me in the right direction please?

2. Stryker

Stryker Mobile Deity

Hook will be able to tell you about Companion Link.

Check out Goosync.

3. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Actually, I'm not really an expert here. I use Companion Link in a very limited way. I never really had this problem because a) I never used Palm Desktop, I always synced with Outlook on both my T2 and TX and b) I never much cared about hanging on to old calendars. I understand people who have that need, but I don't.

If all you want to do is to get your calendars and contacts to Google once, one way (Palm Desktop overwrites Google, essentially) the Companion Link trial will actually work pretty well. The trouble is that I think there is a limit on haw far back it will go for historical data, but I've never tested it. I believe the simplest thing to do would be to export data as CSV and then import it to Google Calendar, but I don't even remember if Palm Desktop does that.

People who pay for Companion Link want to use it on an ongoing basis. I use it to download Google to Outlook (one way, Google overwrites Outlook) so that I have a terrestrial backup of the cloud.

4. SyncRaven

SyncRaven Mobile Deity

One freeware option is Palm2CSV:
    Palm2CSV: Convert your Palm Calendar (DBA) or To Do (Tasks) to CSV Format -- FREE!

It seems to have mixed reviews but some users have had success getting palm data over to google that way (by converting it to csv). So maybe worth a try.

Another method is to use pocketcopy ($25 program):
    Copy Palm Desktop data into Outlook Contacts, Calendar, Tasks and Notes with PocketCopy.
    I found this on another forum about it:
    I am another Palm user with 10 years of calendar data (and yes please do not ask why but I do need to keep all of it). Here is how I seem to be finally getting my data onto Google. I'm just doing it now, so I haven't yet tested it 100%, but so far so good. Here are the steps I took:

1) Bought PocketCopy software from Chapura (well worth it in my opinion - no problems here for sure - excellant tech support) -- and used that to copy all my Palm data onto Outlook.

2) Exported Outlook calendar data into CSV files. Yes, did it year by year because I keep a lot of data here each year and Google has a daily upload quota aparently of about 5,000 events per day. In my case, that's one or two years.

3) I have now imported several years into Google and so far it looks okay. It seems I will have to re-set my recurring events to continue recurring in Google Calendar -- but that's not a big deal.

5. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Having just done the same thing with a HTC Android phone, I can tell you that what "saved" me was Outlook, because there doesn't seem to be anything free that supports Palm Desktop, and trust me...you really don't want to mess with CSV export/import methods. It doesn't even have to be a recent version of Outlook -- it can be old. But if you sync your Palm T|X with Outlook, you can then use Google Sync (free) to go from Outlook to Google Calendar ("the cloud") which will then sync over the air to your HTC Desire. Or you can use HTC Sync (free from the HTC website) to go directly from Outlook to your HTC Desire.

Now, what you'll find out later on if you decide (like I did) that you want to sync your HTC Desire with the Google ("the cloud") is that the PC Sync calendar does not seem to sync to Google ("the cloud") and instead seems to be just a local calendar database on your phone. At least I haven't been able to get it to show up on my Google Calendar lists yet. So I just ended up going the Google Sync route -- Outlook to Google to my HTC Evo. By then I had also figured out that Google doesn't have categories like the Palm Calendar and Outlook Calendar do and instead has different calendars. So I just went through my calendar on Google and moved the various events to the appropriate calendars ("categories") and it sync'ed over to me my phone.

Same thing above goes for all your contacts. Since I initially used HTC Sync for my contacts and calendar, I seem to have a lot of duplicate contacts. Android takes care of that nicely by "linking" the two contacts to each other, and it is a rather seamless management, but there are times (especially when I'm using a 3rd-party phone dialer app from my Palm days -- TAKEphONE for Android) that I can see that I have two different entries for each of my contacts, but one of these days I'm going to figure out how to get rid of the duplicate local database. I think I'm dealing with another HTC Sync local-only database, when I just want to keep things nice and sync'ed over the air via Google.

FYI, in case you didn't notice, the Datebk6 developer (CESD of Pimlico Software) just recently released a version of that app for Android called Pimlical. Even if you didn't use Datebk6 on your T|X, Pimlical will give you a calendar app that will look a lot more familiar to you than the stock Android one. Touch Calendar is another nice calendar application.

6. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

My apologies for taking so long to thank you all for your very helpful replies but I have been taking on board all your advice and have made great progress, I hope! I checked out all the programs suggested and found that GooSync didn't let me go back far enough while PocketCopy and CompanionLink both cost more than I had hoped to spend given that I seem to "need" an awful lot of accessories - screen protector, case, car charger etc. Palm2CSV said it didn't work with my version of the Palm Desktop.

From your posts, I realised that I had been a little narrow-minded in only thinking of getting data into the Desire and not of future backup plans. What I have come up with is a plan to sync to Google and then use Google Calendar Sync and Go Contact Sync mentioned by InternetPilot and described at Sync Gmail Contacts and Google Calendar with Outlook | knokio to keep the Outlook Calendar/Contacts up-to-date. That way, I will have all the details both "in the cloud" and locally. Does this sound OK?

So far, I have imported my data to Outlook from the TX as suggested by Hook. I need to make some amendments here as I had used some fields incorrectly in the TX. I don't use categories on the TX so no problems there. I then copied the Contacts to Google using Go Contact Sync and this went fine. I have just completed a one-way sync using Google Calendar Sync between Outlook Calendar and an empty Google Calendar. Once I have checked that this all looks OK the next step will be to sync to the Desire and I'm just looking to see how to do this.

My usage at the moment is possible different from others, in that I use the TX exclusively for my calendar, I have never had a desktop based calendar. As I start a new job next week this may change but I don't think so. So the Google and Outlook syncs will be purely for backup.

Thanks for the heads-up on Pimlical. I used to use Datebk5 and it was excellent so I'll try out the inbuilt calendar on the Desire and download Pimlical if I don't get on with it.

Sorry for the long post but it was partly to thank you for the help and partly to help anyone else staggering along the Palm to Android route. I will update further if I've anything else to add.

7. internetpilot

internetpilot Flying Dog (...duh...)

Syncing to the Desire is actually the easy part. You just set your phone to sync that Google Calendar that you created and presto. Done.

If you ever decide that you want different colors/"categories" for your appointments (work, home, holiday, etc.), you just create another Google Calendar and title it work, home, or whatever, and then go through your one Google Calendar and edit your appointments -- there's an setting for what calendar the appointment belongs in. Then from the Google Calendar website, you can also set what color you want each calendar to be, so on your Desire the different appointment "categories" will show up in different colors. Then you just go back into your phone and make sure that these new calendars are set to sync/display on your phone.

I owe the heads-up for Pimlical to Hook -- he's the one who notified me of the release. I was watching the Pimlico Software website closely for months, and just when I stopped watching it, the developer released it! Oh, well. The important part is that it's out now and looking great.

If Pimlical is too much for you ($ and/or features), Touch Calendar is a good alternative. It also has a very Palm-ish look to it, at least more Palm-ish than Android. You might be fine with the stock Android one, but I doubt it. I came from a Palm Treo 755p and would sometimes use the stock Palm Calendar and Datebk6, and I was immediately annoyed with the whole flow (or lack thereof) of the Android Calendar. But to each his own! ;)

8. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

My Desire was obviously set to sync automatically as the transfer had hardly finished before I got an audible reminder of an upcoming appointment. As I hadn't realised it would sync automatically this was a bit of a shock!

If I have the Desire set to Auto Sync, will it upload from the Desire as well as download from the Google Contacts on the PC? I have cleaned up my Contacts on the PC by deleting old ones etc and I don't want them reappearing when I sync. I have Auto Sync turned off for the time being.

Re the Calendar, I found the Android one awful. I am so used to the Palm layout that I really struggling with the Android one. I have downloaded the free version of Touch Calendar for the time being but I think I will go with Pimlical soon. I can't believe how cheap the apps are for the Android compared with the Palm! Thanks again for the help.

9. Hook

Hook Caught Watching Prawn

Your Android only syncs with your PC if you have HTC Sync and Outlook. I don't have that with my HTC Nexus One, so I can't answer questions about that.

The phone's autosync should be with Google and, yes, it is two way. You shoul be able to uncheck everything and then manually sync if you prefer.

While I have settled on Pimlical/A as my Calender and task app of choice, there are a number of pretty nice Calendar apps out for Android out.

Calendar Pad
    Calengoo
    Gemini Calendar
    Jorte
    Pocket Informant Beta

For me, the key feature of Pimlical/A is that it allows floats on the Calendar and they sync to Google Calendar. Google Calendar doesn't know what a float is, but when Pimlical moves it to the next day and syncs, it simulates the float on Google Calendar.

The other nice thing is that all these calendars use the Android Calendar data base, so they don't need their own conduits-- whatever the Calendar app can put in the Android data base will get synced to Google.

10. Pinmac

Pinmac Mobile Deity

Thanks, Hook. I updated on your Pimlical thread to say that I looked at all the ones you listed above and tried Gemini Calendar and Touch Calendar. While they both had their good points, I've ended up going for Pimlical A and immediately felt comfortable with the look and usability(?) of it. Thanks all for your help.