transferring data to Outlook

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Mary Beth, Oct 7, 2011.

1. chris97

chris97 Newbie

actually an easy way is to put the Palm Desktop CD in qgain, and instead of choosing Palm Desktop, select the Microsoft outlook option instead.

2. Bocadr1

Bocadr1 Mobile Enthusiast

Thanks for that suggestion, Chris! Yet another complication is that I no longer have that installation disk...however, my brother in FL is going to look around to see if he may still have that disk. If that is not an option, if I was still able to locate the 4.1.4 installer online, would you think that would work just as well? Also, in running that re-installer, how do I preserve my data? Will the installer automatically recognize that data exists and migrate that data into the new installation? Thanks!

3. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

Bocadr1, BTW, welcome to Brighthand! :)

The suggestion of just switching the conduits from Palm Desktop to Outlook, doesn't work, cause that's just kind of unplugging cables from one to another but that doesn't involve any data transfer action at all if a Palm handheld device is not incorporated to the process. You just reaim conduits.

The import process from Palm Desktop to Outlook, comprises the following. In Palm Desktop, you choose a given PIM app (PIM: Personal Information Management), amongst Calendar, Contacts, Tasks, Memos. Palm Notes (the post-it thingy) cannot be migrated to Outlook provided there is not a correspondent app within Outlook. Lessay you choose the Contacts. Then you start an export process to Outlook, and the point is to dump all your Contacts info in a .csv document; .csv stands for Comma Separated Values. The information is dumped into this type of document kind of a spreadsheet, but without the spreadsheet format. It is a raw data structure intended to tell data contained in lists, but it is not a final document in its own right. If you wish to see said data, you have to store the document, and open it with a spreadsheet application, like Microsoft Excel, that is totally enabled in order to understand .csv files. But OK, that's not the point. Next, you get yourself to Outlook, and choose an import process. Export from Palm Desktop, Import into Outlook, you follow? Within the little tutorial that Outlook starts, you will find the option to open .csv files, and send them to the Contacts. You will have to know where did you drop the .csv file in the folders of your computer, cause you're gonna have to grab it during the import process in Outlook.

The thing about being able to open the .csv file with say Excel, is because it's likely that you have to edit it before doing the import to Outlook.

4. Bocadr1

Hal: thanks so much for taking the time to explain this...and thx for the Welcome! I've posted a few times already to Brighthand regarding reinstalling Grafiti 1 back onto my t/x...this situation I'm actually trying to help my older brother with, so I'm posting on his behalf. OK, so you say we start the export process to Outlook in, say, the Contacts module...what you're saying, that is, to export the data in .csv format into an Excel spreadsheet, is precisely what my brother wants to do: then he'll sit there for a week and remap the data cells to correspond to what Outlook recognizes. The problem is that when he initiates the Export... from the File menu in v.4.1.4, we cannot figure out how to stipulate WHERE to export the data TO. Normally, you make the .dat files visible using the *.* trick, click on the .dat folder to select it, then there should be a drop-down menu to select the format in which to export the data. Then I would think there should be another dialog box or way to stipulate WHERE to save the exported data, or, as you say: "you have to store the document, and open it with a spreadsheet app". That's where we're hanging up: we can't figure out how to direct the export process to save that raw document. As I recall, you select the .dat file and when you hit Export button, you get an alert that the .dat file already exists and do you want to replace it. We hit No to cancel the process. Do you recall what we might be doing wrong or are leaving out? Thanks again! Leon

hal likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Mobile Deity

RickAgresta and hal like this.
  6. Bocadr1

BINGO!! Now THAT'S what I'm talking about!! Thanks, Jig - I'm going to send this to my brother and I'm sure that's going to do the trick. Appreciate your help!! I'll keep you posted on how he does. Leon

7. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

In short, Jjg's post is what you need. In Palm Desktop, you EXPORT to a .csv document. In Outlook you IMPORT from the .csv :)

The re-mapping task is incidental, it's up to a given example whether it's necessary or not. Out of experience, there is usually a due chore to make a cleanup beforehand. If the information in Palm Desktop is not excessive, lessay for the Contacts some 200 entries or less (just an example), then the cleanup can be done right there, in Palm Desktop, before attempting the export procedure to the .csv. It's usually about emails that got registered as cell phone numbers, or phone number fields that instead of typing numbers into, the user typed a small reminder note, and so on. The point of doing such a cleanup is because when you move the data to .csv, the latter won't give a rip about what is contained in each field, but Outlook will certainly give a rip. i.e. Outlook doesn't fully support two-line data in a phone number field, but the Palm OS and Palm Desktop do, so if there's a phone number field that contains two phone numbers typed by the user, and stored in two lines (inside the same field, I mean), Outlook will store such data, but it won't allow you to edit the second line, making such piece of information prone to get lost.

Palm Desktop and Outlook share similarities, but only to a point. An example: Palm OS (in the handheld devices) and Palm Desktop (in the PC) can store email addresses and phone numbers in the same field, and the distinction amongst is done by selecting the Type of data you're storing (email, Mobile, Work, etc.). When such data is stored in the handheld device, and synced to Palm Desktop, these fields work pretty much the same. But when it's synced to Outlook, there are notable differences. For a given Contacts entry, Outlook makes a strong distinction between phone numbers and email addresses. So, if lessay an email address was typed in Palm OS or Palm Desktop, but inadvertedly registered as a phone number instead of email, Outlook will store it as a phone number, the latter being against some of the most important benefits of using Outlook in the first place. The Outlook Contacts entries allow their contained email addresses to be enlisted in a general email roster, called the Outlook Address Book (meaning email address book). This feature allows the global presentation of available email addresses whenever you're about to send an email and you're selecting the recipients. The Outlook Contacts entries have only three email address fields, and all three are added to the Outlook Address Book; if you enter an email address in the phone fields, it doesn't get enlisted in the Outlook Address Book.

Please post back any progress :)

8. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

IME, it's much easier to work with the .csv file than trying to do the mapping during the export. Make one new entry in Palm Desktop, with an entry in each field, with each field entry being the field name. Thus, for the contact's first name use FIrstName, etc. Then do the same in Outlook, and compare the two .csv files in Excel or whatever spreadsheet program you have. In the spreadsheet, it's easy to move columns around to get them in the correct order. Then do a complete export and move the columns as necessary, import that into Outlook, and you're done.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

RickAgresta and hal like this.
  9. Bocadr1

OK! Thanks for everyone's input and help!! My brother finally was able to accomplish the data conversion, using JigWasHere's link to the Microsoft document. He felt the instructions as given could be tweaked a bit, so he prepared a very detailed, step-by-step revision, along with screenshots of exactly which Palm OS field maps to which Outlook field. It really walks you through the process click-by-click and will be very helpful to the "not-so-tech-savvy" user... I'm trying to upload the document, thogh, to the forum server, but it's just too large, even as a .pdf -- 1mb, while the max .pdf allowable is 193kb. Any suggestions on how I might work around the upload file size restrictions? I guess for the time being, anyone interested in looking at this - even if only to critique it - just PM me with your email address and I'll email it to you, but I'd like to post it directly into the discussion. Thx.