transferring data to Outlook

Discussion in 'General Palm OS' started by Mary Beth, Oct 7, 2011.

1. Mary Beth

Mary Beth Newbie

I have an old version of Palm One Desktop Software - version 4.1.4. How can I transfer all my data to Microsoft Outlook?
    Mary Beth

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand, Mary Beth

If I recall, when Palm Desktop is open on your computer, there is an option to export data as a .csv file. That format should be 'importable' by Outlook. I think you'd need to export each of the 4 PIM databases (contacts, notes, appointments/schedule & tasks/to-do) and then import into Outlook.
    An alternate method would be to sync your Palm device with the Outlook conduits being used rather than the Palm Desktop ones.

I should mention that I've never done either of the above ;) but if I've made an error someone will correct me

3. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

That should work, but you will have to remap the fields, or else you'll get the wrong data in the wrong fields. Outlook should let you do that before the import. One way to do that is to enter data into Outlook, then export a .csv file. Open that, and a corresponding Palm .csv export in a spreadsheet, such as Excel, and you can drag and drop columns to get them in the same order as in the Outlook export, save, then import into Outlook.

4. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

AAAAAND... remapping the fields is quite a bummer. I'd go with the Palm HotSync, then switch conduits from PD to Outlook.

5. SGosnell

That would be fine if she still had the Palm running, but she just said she has the old Palm Desktop. If that's all she has, exporting, remapping, and importing is the only way I know of to do it. If the Palm still works, though, changing conduits should work if that version has the Outlook conduit, and I can't remember if it does. It has been many years since I used that version, and I have never, ever used Outlook for anything.

6. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

7. JRakes

JRakes NOT your Average Joe

I'll second the recommendation for Chapura's products. When I migrated from PD to OL, I used Chapura's Pocket Mirror. It installed the much more reliable OL sync conduits, which let me simply sync my Palm device "back" to OL for the first go to get my OL data populated. It was quick, simple, and troublefree from the first moment.

Yeah, it was a little pricey, but was worth it to me to help ensure data integrity.

8. hal

hal itchy and cold feet hal

You're totally right. She doesn't mention the mobile device. I wrongfully assumed that the PDA was involved. IME, the exporting feature from PD to OL needs a careful review of ALL the entries in PD, in order to to the export as seamless as possible. If the OP doesn't feel like it, or if she is not savvy enough, then I'd take the Chapura products option. Yes they're pricy, especially considering they are intended for a single use in a lifetime. But I attest for Chapura's excellence, I've used serveral and after years of good service I am yet to see them fail.

9. SGosnell

I never used Palm Desktop very extensively. I used it for awhile, but when I abandoned Windows I had to find something different, and Linux has excellent PIM tools that sync with a Palm. Evolution also can sync with Google, so my transition was relatively seamless. If you have everything in Palm Desktop and nothing else, it's going to be a lot of work to get it transferred, no matter how you go about it.

10. Bocadr1

Bocadr1 Mobile Enthusiast

I think I am having the same problem but don&#8217;t fully understand the recommendation. I am using Palm Desktop v. 4.1.4 in a Windows 7 (x86) environment and have long since lost the Palm hand held. I am trying to migrate my address book, calendar and memo data from the Palm Desktop to Microsoft Outlook. When I attempt to use the &#8220;File|Export&#8230;&#8221; feature of Palm Desktop, I can&#8217;t figure out how to export the data to an Excel spreadsheet to do the remapping. I enter *.* in the file name field to make the data file visible. When I highlight and select the .dat file and then hit the Export button, I get a message: &#8220;Save As: the <name>.dat file already exists, do you want to replace it?&#8221; I never get to choose the location where I want to export to. What am I missing? Am I doing something wrong? When I go directly to the C: to try to find the UserName folder inside the PalmOne folder, inside the Program Files (x86) folder, it&#8217;s not visible, so I cannot get to the .dat files that way. Any suggestions? Thanks!