Transferring data from iOS to Android, or vice versa

Discussion in 'Smartphones' started by SGosnell, Dec 3, 2014.

1. SGosnell

SGosnell (retired) Palm Pilot

My brother-in-law isn't very tech-savvy, and when he got a smartphone it HAD to be an iphone. Over the two years of the contract, he's become rather disillusioned with the iphone, especially the size. He decided the new phone would be a Samsung. So his new S4 showed up, and he had me help him with the activation and setup. It wasn't until the old phone was deactivated that he mentioned that his contacts, pictures, etc were only on the phone, and had never been synced in the cloud anywhere. Bummer. I tried to get the iphone to sync with Google, but nothing seemed to be happening. I know nothing of Apple, and I was about to give up, when Google presented a solution. A search turned up an ATT app that promised to transfer data between iphones and androids. The Play Store app is here. The iOS equivalent should be easy to find if you have an iphone. I installed it on both phones, told the S4 is was to receive data, the iphone that it was to send, and the iphone gave a QR code to scan. The S4 opened a camera app to scan it, and after a small glitch was fixed, the transfer went easily. Everything showed up on the S4 after a few minutes. The glitch was that the S4 was connected to my 5GHz network, and the iphone to the 2.5GHz. They have to be on the same wifi network. I switched the S4 to the other network, and it worked immediately. Certainly the easiest way to transfer data between the OSes is to use Google cloud sync, but if you haven't done that, and are on AT&T, it's easy to transfer your data in either direction. I don't know if other carriers provide anything like this, but I've finally found something to like about AT&T.

alica, r0k, John Farrel and 6 others like this.
  2. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

That's cool.

3. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

This should be pinned.

RickAgresta likes this.
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

5. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Now a Sticky. :vbsmile:

Mitlov and RickAgresta like this.
  6. rsmithy

rsmithy Newbie

Dont get shocked when the next time you log into facebook, the people you might know would include peeps who you've only had as a number and name in your contact list.

7. SGosnell

I don't log into facebook. I value my privacy too much for that. I have no facebook account, and never will.

RickAgresta and EdmundDantes like this.
  8. John Farrel

John Farrel Mobile Evangelist

Well, that's something I call a great way to backup and restore back and forth !

9. Drillbit

Drillbit Mobile Deity

You can sync from iCloud to Google and back again. Or sync the iPhone to Google directly. so if you operate the two devices simultaneously Android and iOS they will sync to each other.

10. SGosnell

Yes, you can sync the iPhone to Google, and that's probably the best way to go. My brother-in-law had not synced anything, though, and needed to transfer his data directly. The process I posted isn't necessary if the phone has been properly synced, but if it hasn't, it's a way of getting it done.

RickAgresta likes this.