Transferinf Data From a M515 to a Palm T-5

Discussion in 'Palm General' started by EurekaSam, Nov 29, 2012.

1. EurekaSam

EurekaSam Mobile Enthusiast

Transferring PDA data.
    First there are two PDA’s, Palm T 5’s and one Palm M515.
    I have my wife’s PDA M515 on a Win XP Laptop system with DTG. Ver 8. The DTG and Sync’s work fine on the Win XP and M515.
    I have a Palm desktop program on a Win 7 laptop to sync my T 5 on it.
    The DTG won’t work on the Win 7. I’m surprised that I can sync the T-5 on the Win 7 laptop.
    I just bought another T-5’s. To replace the wife’s M515.
    One T 5 is in hospital for repairs. This is the one that works on the Win 7 laptop.
    My problem is to:
    Move the M515 data to the new T-5
    The username on the new T- 5 was entered on the desktop program to get the program to recognize the new user name. If I use the new user name on the new T-5 it should work.
    All these considerations taken care of I attempted to sync the desk top data to the new T-5.
    All the conduits were set to sync the data. I don’t know how it happened but it only moved the data from the new T-5, which was practically empty, except for some names and addresses in the address book, to the desk top.
    I did not have a backup of the data before I attempted the sync.
    The data is still on the M515 but, I’m afraid to try to sync it off the M151 to the desk top.
    The M515 does not have the Blue tooth capability. So until I can be sure the data from the M515 will transfer to the desk top, I don’t know what else to do????????????:confused:

Sam

2. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Welcome to Brighthand!

Both the M515 and the T5 have IR ports/windows, but the transfer process would be rather slow…it is an option, though

It's been quite awhile since I've done much HotSyncing, so I'll let others advise you there -- I do not want to tell you to do something that totally fubars the situation.

3. EurekaSam

Thanks for the response Rick.

I remember seeing the IR selection for the M515 when I was looking for blue tooth.
    Now, where can I find the way to do the IR? May be Google?
    Time is not a real problem as I sit here most of the day anyway!!

4. RickAgresta

This is where it gets hairy…if you are going to beam only a few specific items (such as, for example, 5 addresses/contacts or calendar events) you go into that general app on the 515 (addresses/contacts or cal ndar), select the item, then use the dropdown menu to 'beam' that item, one by one. of course, the 2 pda's need to have their IR windows facing each other.

On the other hand, if there are a lot of addresses or calendar entries, HotSync is much less tedious

5. EurekaSam

Thanks Rick,
    I've been trying to determine how I lost all the items on the xp laptop when I did the Sync.
    I changed the user name in the upper right corner of the palm desktop program. The new T-5 is named "Palm 505". The palm desktop in named "Charlie"....
    It appears that the Sync didn't synchronize the desktop and Palm 505. It updated the desktop to the to the Palm505 which had nothing on it.

Perhaps I should have left the name "Charlie" on the desktop, that's the name where all the data is stored, but I had renamed the desk top to match the Palm505.

Perhaps someone with Sync experience will pick up on this one.
    I do want to thank you for your responses.

Sam

6. EurekaSam

I've been trying to determine how I lost all the M515 (Name: Charlie) items on the XP laptop when I did the Sync.
    I added a user name in the upper right corner of the palm desktop program. The new T-5 is named "Palm 505".
    I left all the conduits to ”Synchronize all”
    It appears that the Sync didn't synchronize with the desktop and user name “Palm 505” It updated the desktop to the to the Palm 505 data which had nothing on it.

Perhaps I should have left the name "Charlie" on the desktop, that's the name where all the data is stored, but I had renamed the desk top to match the PDA Palm 505.

Rick.. I wold like to get this back in the mainstream of one of the FORUMs.

Thanks
    Sam

7. RickAgresta

If you go to the TX forum one of the first sticky posts (at the top of the list of posts) should discuss how to do this; granted you're not going to a TX but the T5 is very similar to the TX, and the general directions will hold true. Sorry this didn't occur to me a few days ago.

8. RickAgresta

9. EurekaSam

O.K. Rick,
    I can't thank you enough. There are 26 post to my original thread. A lot of them are from 2011 or earlier. But I'm sure they apply.
    The procedure is quite lengthy and has some terminology I'm having trouble with. I'll readand reread everything until I'm sure I know what I'm doing.
    If I lose my wife's data name is "MUD".
    I found a post on how to get the palm desktop software on a Win 7 machine. Got to read the difference in the 64 or 32 byte configurations
    I'll keep you posted.

Sam

10. RickAgresta

If you have questions, please ask. I can PM some others here who are knowledgeable but haven't jumped in, if necessary. Again, sorry to not have thought of the sticky thread days ago.