Touchscreen won't calibrate

Discussion in 'Tungsten E series' started by Mendeleev, Aug 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mendeleev

Mendeleev Newbie

My E2 touchscreen is calibrated such that I have to touch below the actual spot that I am aiming for. In particular, the drop-down menu button will only work if the screen is pressed below the button; otherwise it registers that I pushed the home button. I have tried recalibrating the touchscreen on the prefs screen; it goes through multiple iterations of the "target" process and then is as off as it was before. I have also tried soft and hard resets.
  2. Viral

Viral Mobile Enthusiast

My only suggestion would be to recalibrate the screen, once more, VERY accurately, and then try.

If that doesn't do it, I'd return it. I'd go crazy if that was my device.
  3. Nine

Nine Ooh NO, missus...

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev. There are other freeware calibration solutions you can use - try DigiE :)
  4. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev. How have you got on?
  5. Heather Cullen

Heather Cullen Mobile Evangelist

Hi and welcome to the board. I found this link regarding calibration in the Palm, Inc. Support Library:

Solution ID: 24443
    Calibrating your touchscreen (digitizer)
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBCGI.EXE?New,kb=PalmSupportKB,CASE=obj(24443),ts=Palm_External2001

It suggests way to improve your digitizer as well as reasons why your device may not calibrate precisely.

Also, don't forget to register your device:

https://www.onlineregister.com/palm/reg/cgi/index.cgi?LANG=EN&CTRY=United States

Good luck,

Heather
  6. lhwj

lhwj Mobile Evangelist

I've had the same problem for quite a few years now... I have to tap hundreds of times to calibrate, that's why I fear hard resets more than anything else. I've learned to live with the slightly inaccurate digitizer and use the buttons for navigating whenever possible but I think they're getting worn out too. Time to get an E2...

Luke
  7. tuvia

tuvia Newbie

same problem here, though recently it has gotten so out of whack than i cannot get to the home screen. i started to tap the target recalibration icons, but it seemed i was doing it many, many times so i gave up, assuming that it was broke. do you think it is broken, or does it really take hundreds of target-taps sometimes to recalibrate the system? thanks.

t
  8. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Check out my Palm blog for digitizer software fixes and ideas that may help.

Welcome to Brighthand, Mendeleev and tuvia.
  9. xxAVxx

xxAVxx Mobile Enthusiast

I'm starting to have the same problem with my T|E2 and I've only had it for a few weeks. It's frustrating me - I've tried the apps to help fix the drift, hard resets, etc but it didn't work and I just checked my receipt. Circuit City only accepts PDAs after 14 days and I'm almost 3 weeks out so I guess my next step is to contact Palm.
  10. NetooWeb

NetooWeb Mobile Enthusiast

I retired my m100 because of this problem. Yes, there were fixes and cleaver ways to get the thing to calibrate but as other have indicated, you loose confidence in the device as a reliable business tool.

When I got my E2 I was confident enough to investigate the problem with my m100 further.

Removing, cleaning and ensuring the digitizer cable was seated in it's connector properly fixed it and now it's as reliable as the day I got it again.
  11. Heather Cullen

Heather Cullen Mobile Evangelist

Just a question, xxAVxx, do you have any 3rd-party apps that might be causing the issue?

Heather
  12. xxAVxx

xxAVxx Mobile Enthusiast

I didn't.

I had done a hard reset several times restoring the handheld to factory condition and even after a calibration without syncing I still couldn't get the "abc", "123", "time", and "contrast" buttons to work as well as clicking on any buttons like "ok" or "done" that appeared on the bottom left hand portion of the screen.

Since my handheld was still under the 90 day warranty I went ahead and called Palm support and everything was setup for repair free of charge. I actually got the repaired handheld back yesterday and everything looks fine - think I received a screen/digitizer replacement considering that it simply looks new.

I checked and written my serial number down prior to sending it out and I received the same unit back but repaired.

I'm satisfied with it and should be selling it soon now that its in working order.
  13. z22 2006 User

z22 2006 User BHOT's Own Fluffy

This happened to my e2 when it was out of warranty, but luckily I had the Circuit City Extended Warranty.
  14. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

If none of that works. Replace the digitizer. We have them for $30 plus shipping.
  15. maceyr

maceyr Palm Explorer

Do you do the repair, shawnlux?
  16. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

Yes we also do the repairs for $10 more dollars plus shipping. $4.05 in the US and $20 flat rate outside the US.