Touch screen stopped working

Discussion in 'Treo 750 and Treo 750v' started by shafiu, Apr 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shafiu

shafiu Newbie

Hi,
    I bought a Treo 750 last week from abroad and it was working like a charm. Until yesterday i woke up in the morning to find the touch screen has stopped working but everything else works fine (The phone was on my bed). Even the keyboard lits up when i touch the screen. But no menus or anything works with touch.
    So i took it to a friend who knows mobiles and we disassembled the unit to see if any connection is lose. But everything was perfect.
    And when i turn on the phone after taking the battery, the touch screen works just once and again it stops. its like the first touch works and it doesn't work any more until i reboot (it would work on the first touch if I reboot again).
    So I am kinda lost on what to do. I am thinking should I get a screen replacement or should I do what?
    Any1 has this problem before, or can any one give me an idea.
    I don't wanna throw away my treo as it has been only a week since I bought it for 770USD.
  2. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

Might be a software problem. I would back up the device, then do a full hard reset, to see if that cures the problem.
  3. shafiu

shafiu Newbie

I did a hard reset. And The calibration didn't work. And after much of tries finally I got past the calibration stage and Now also its just same. Everything else works, except the touch screen.

Any ideas?
  4. shawnlux

shawnlux Used PDA Parts Rep.

Are you using a screen protector. If so remove it and see if you still have the issue.
  5. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

Welcome to Brighthand, shafiu.

Also, run a folded piece of paper round the area where the case overlaps the screen to make sure there's no gubbins pressing down on the screen at the edges. Maybe also download a trial version of an app like mySkin which has a more comprehensive calibration toll.

If all else fails, consider contacting Shawn Lux (above) or Chris Short (search on here) for repair options. Each comes with happy BH punters.
  6. harryu

harryu Newbie

I'm having the exact same problem you described. After a reset, it takes one tap and that's all. I even tried removing the screen and putting it back in, it worked for a few minutes and then I'm back to the same problem. Have you gotten any solutions at all?

I think it's a software or firmware problem, and not a screen/hardware problem... after a reset, if I use the keys to go to the NOTES application in the DRAW mode, I am able to draw all over the screen with no problem. But then it won't take any input on the screen in any other way.

I'm willing to buy a replacement screen if I was sure it was a hardware problem, but would hate to spend the money if it turns out it's something else.

Any ideas would be appreciated!
  7. harryu

harryu Newbie

FYI - I found a solution!

Doing research on this, I found someone else talking about Palm digitizer fixes, I tried a number of them and this one worked:

Simply take the battery out and leave the unit unpowered for 24 hours. When I put the battery back in, it works like new.

Apparently there's something that resets itself after several hours after having no power.

Give it a try... I'm glad it worked on mine, hopefully it does for you too.
  8. shafiu

shafiu Newbie

I have done almost everything that is suggested by people to fix this.
    I have disassembled the whole unit and cleaned each and every bit of dirt and massaged the screen, and all, except the latter one about keeping the battery removed for 24hrs. I am afraid if i do this, the handset could become unusable if I cant get past the calibration stage in case the touch screen wont work. Since right now everything else works except the touch.
    Now After a soft reset the first touch works. And then its stops working.
    I am willing to buy an LCD Replacement if it can fix the problem. I checked the connection of LCD too. Its all firm and good.

People camon, help me out here :D

Amist of all these I still love my Treo.

Oh I forgot to mention i am not using any screen protector. :)
  9. harryu

harryu Newbie

Taking the battery out for a day only solved the problem for a couple of hours, and then it returned to the same issue.

Removing the battery is only a soft reset so you won't have the calibration screen come up. It's only if you remove and replace the battery while holding the power button that you get a hard reset.

My problem is EXACTLY the same as you're describing. Please keep posting as you try new things.

Thanks
  10. GColla

GColla Newbie

Hi, I'm having the same problem and I've tried every suggestion. Sometimes it works for a short period of time. In my case I've notes that the problem disapears for a few moments when: charging the battery; or after a long period of time without touching it, e.g at night. Plus, I discovered that the joystick behavior changes too, for example, when I press Start and Down it goes normal but when I press Start and Up, trying to go to the last used programs, after a few clicks it goes to the first program in the list, but it can't go to the others pressing the right or left keys. Strange! And using a spreadsheet the behavior seems to be processing overhead, slow response. It's important to say that the hardware reset and the program to do the same thing plus formating all data in the Storage Card provided by Palm (DeviceReset.exe) didn't work as described. If you notes one of this behaviors please post it here. Bye.
  11. shafiu

shafiu Newbie

shawnlux recommends we replace the digitizer. it costs around 30 bucks.
    any idea?
    i am willing to give a shot.
  12. harryu

harryu Newbie

I'm having a new digitizer put on mine... should get it back by the end of next week. I'll let you know if that worked or not.
  13. shafiu

shafiu Newbie

i will wait for your end results :)
  14. gsouth

gsouth Newbie

I've been watching this thread carefully.... as I have started to experience exactly the same symptoms.

Here's what I know to date:
    1 - it happens after a long phone call - say around 10 mins, or a shortish call with bluetooth (say around 5 mins)
    2 - hanging up the call leaves teh touch screen dead.
    3 - removing the battery for 15 mins fixes the problem.

Contacted palm - they claim noone has raised this issue before.
  15. Streaky

Streaky I can't remember

For what it's worth, my SE K700i phone used to hang after being used by my T5 to access the Internet via BT and a GPRS connection. Removing and replacing the phone's battery used to fix it. I don't know if I still have that problem as I no longer surf in that way (I use my BlackBerry).
  16. Vanstra

Vanstra Newbie

One question in general.
    Does everyone use a screenprotector ?
    6 weeks ago I bought mine Treo 750.
    I added the supplied screenprotector right away.
    After 3 weeks the touchscreen stopped working.
    After reading this and other forums I sended the Treo back for repair.
    2 Weeks later I received a new refurbished Treo 750.
    Also with this device I added the screenprotector right away.
    After 6 days of use the touchscreen stopped working again.
    Damn.....
    The next day I sended also this device back for repair.
    2 Treo's 750 with a 'dead' touchscreen is very strange.
    The only cause I can think of is the screenprotector I used with both the Treo's.
  17. Adama D. Brown

Adama D. Brown Brighthand Reviewer

I certainly do. It's a cheap and effective way of protecting the screen against scratches. Normally, they don't affect the touchscreen's sensitivity, but if you get them stuck between the screen and the bezel, where they're exerting force on the screen, it can cause the touchscreen to stop responding. The signature of this problem is that if you remove the screen protector, it starts working again. But the fact that it took days for you to have a problem makes me think that it may simply be a case of two bad units.