Toshiba e335 and Sandisk WiFi?

Discussion in 'Toshiba' started by portnoy, Aug 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. portnoy

portnoy HP iPAQ HX4705 user

I just received a reply from Sandisk that seems to imply that their device does not require SDIO Now! I've replied to this to ask for clarification since the e335 does have SDIO, but it at least looks like good news at this point. Below is their initial reply to my inquiry.

---------------------

Hello,

Thank you for contacting SanDisk Technical Support.

We will provide drivers to support Pocket PC 2002 and 2003. The device that the SD Wi Fi card will be used one will need to have Wi Fi compatible hardware in order to use the SD Wi Fi. The Toshiba e335 has a SD slot but it does not state that it's a SDIO slot. To be able to use the Wi Fi technology, the device must have a SDIO slot in order to communicate with the SD Wi Fi card. This will be up to the device manufacturer to provide hardware that is compatible with Wi Fi. Since the Toshiba e335 does not have a SDIO slot, it will not be able to use the SD Wi Fi cards.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to reply to this e-mail or contact our technical support department toll free at 866-SANDISK (866-726-3475). Our technical support team is open Monday through Friday, 7 am to 4 pm PST. Have a Great Day!

Best Regards,

Gustavo

SanDisk Technical Support

2. StevieG

StevieG WeeeeeeAHhhhhhhh!

Ok lemme explain it to you this way...no SDIO card really requires SDIO Now!. As long as the device has an SDIO slot, the card can work. BUT, what can happen, and this is what Sandisk has done, is to only write drivers for SDIO Now! devices. You see, all SDIO Now! is is a program group of universal SDIO drivers that make is insanely easier for manufacturers to write drivers to SDIO devices. Without SDIO Now!, manufacturers would have to write three or four drivers that were specific to the device, which really means that they'd have to make a TON of drivers just for their card to work on a majority of devices. With SDIO Now!, they can man a dozen or so drivers and be done. In short, the SDIO WiFi can work on the Toshibas, but will require extra drivers that, right now, Sandisk will not be making. Hope this helps

3. portnoy

I see no reason for condescension, and I assume that if the Sandisk WiFi card does require SDIO Now! on the PDA that Sandisk technical support has in fact heard of SDIO Now! To say that "no SDIO card really requires SDIO Now!" is a pretty lame statement. Since SDIO Now! is not food, air, sex or protection from the environment nothing actually needs it. But the implication is that it is not needed in the supporting PDA in order to function. The message from Sandisk surely reads to me like any Pocket PC 2002 or 2003 device with SDIO will work. I reread that message and see nothing in it that would imply that anything else is required. Since it DOES make mention of SDIO your comment makes no sense to me. The Sandisk WiFi card would physically fit into a standard SD slot but would not take the PDA online.

Anyway, I'm waiting for clarification from Sandisk on this SDIO Now! issue. Hopefully a reply from them will settle things.

I've also sent a letter to Toshiba customer relations informing them of my dissatisfaction with their after sales support.

4. StevieG

well, in a week or so we can theoretically have our hands on one and find out the good-ol-fashioned way if it works or not. So far it seems to me that no one is capable of giving us a straight answer

5. portnoy

Well, so far the most annoyingly evasive answers have some to me from Toshiba. I've posted the thread of that so others could see for themselves how useless their technical support is. It's amazing how many different ways I could ask basically the same question and never get a straight answer. I swear, it was like talking to a naughty child.

6. unit24

unit24 What Would Scooby Doo?

Looks like we have an answer from SanDisk and it's not the one I was hoping for... :(

SanDisk SD WiFi card

Chart

7. portnoy

Well, I'm assuming that the chart is a list of devices that are tested and confirmed to work and not an exhaustive listing of every device that will work with it. The page gives the requirements as once again Pocket PC 2002 or 2003 and SDIO slot, both of which the e335 has. The fact that it again does not mention SDIO Now! is encouraging, or at least not discouraging at this point.

8. rangove

rangove Newbie

After reading the reply from Sandisk the reason I think the e335 is not on the supported list is

1. I can not find anywhere that states this device has SDIO.

2. Since Sandisk thinks the e335 does not have a SDIO built in why even test this device.

If the e335 does support SDIO then I would bet this card will work.

I think it is released this week?

9. portnoy

That's pretty much what I was thinking. I imagine someone will try it once they get into the stores. Then we should know for sure.

10. BEorP

BEorP Mobile Evangelist

Click here

11. BEorP

BEorP Mobile Evangelist

Just read something interesting, it is open for debate whether is is good or bad news.

From eCost.com:
    Some people would say that this does not list the e330 which meets the other requirements. Other people would say that it doesn't list the e330 only because it is not one of Toshiba's newest PPCs.

The way I see it is that they don't say "no e330" and the e330 has PPC2002 and an SDIO slot. Hopefully this means that it will work, but you never can be sure until you try it.

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=270402

12. StevieG

Well kids, I just bought the sandisk wifi card. Got 2nd day delivery, so by wednesday we'll know for sure if it works on the e335 for sure or not....and if it doesn't, I'm sure I can find a buyer for it....and a buyer for my e335 ;)

13. portnoy

Ok, that will definately be something to see. Since Sandisk says that SDIO Now! is not required I cannot for the life of me see what would be missing from the Toshibas. They mention the "stack" but if they mean the TCP/IP stack that must be there else I couldn't surf while the device is docked, which is something I have done successfully. Sandisk says the software is included on CD. Hope it works dude.

14. skm8217

skm8217 Mobile Enthusiast

Has anyone bought it yet to try at least? I'll test it myself when it appears in stores.

15. StevieG

.............isn't that what I just said I did??????????????:confused:

16. portnoy

Yes, I believe it was.

;)

17. StevieG

Due to labor day and all, the thing was just sent out this afternoon, so don't be upset if it doesn't come til thursday.

worship the dancing banana......

18. StevieG

Yep. Confirmed. It'll be in my hands Thursday.

19. zistheman

zistheman Newbie

Oh yeah you guys are screwed look at the ecost webpage it says clearly:

NOTE: Toshiba?s SDIO slot on e350/e355 and e750/e755 is NOT compatible with this Wi-Fi card or any other

20. StevieG

yes Z. we all know. but we've heard curious things from Toshiba and Sandisk, who we'd expect to know more about this than ecost....so I thought I'd at least give the thing a whirl. Believe me, I'm not holding out much hope. I think what's making us the most curious is that we can't find ANYONE that's actually tested the sd wifi in the toshibas....