Toshiba e310/e330/e335 battery life?

Discussion in 'Other Device Manufacturers' started by Sash[DSL], Aug 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sash[DSL]

Sash[DSL] Mobile Consultant

Im planning to buy a Toshiba e335(which is identical to e330), and the key concern is the battery life. If anyone owns one of those babes, please post how long it can work playing mp3s with its screen off.
    BTW, is there any reason why I should choose toshiba e310 over toshiba e335? The price is almost the same.
    Thanks

2. Maledorito

Maledorito Mobile Deity

The e335 has the best battery life of any PXA250 device besides the Axim. It gets over 4 hours playing mp3's with the screen (w/ backlight) on. It even beats the 1940 with PXA255.

The e310 however, does not have as good battery life due to the StrongArm procesor.

When I first got my e335, the battery life was rather poor, but over time, it has become extremely long. Make sure you drain the battery a few times when you get it.

I re-read your post, and why the HECK would you want the e310 over the e330?

The e310 has worse battery life, a worse screen, worse button delay (the e330's is pretty annyoing, however), etc.

3. Sash[DSL]

Maledorito
    Thanks for your reply.
    Hm, this is weird. I always thought e310 provides a better battery life since it has a slower processor and less memory. Most reviews suggest around 8 hours on it, as for e330(e335) - it is usually about 6 hours :eek:
    Oh well, thats even better I guess.:)
    Really?
    Thats interesting. How exactly do u train the battery? Charge it completely and then drain it completely as well?

4. portnoy

portnoy HP iPAQ HX4705 user

My understanding is that draining the battery in these things is an incredible mistake. LithiumIon batteries are kind of like car (lead acid) batteries in that when they are discharged the lose potential lifetime as well as capacity. So you discharge it once, it's life is cut buy say 6 months. Continue to do that and you end up with a PDA that will no longer take a charge. I never let my e335 get below 60%.

5. centrifuge41

centrifuge41 Mobile Deity

When I had an e335, it got me ~5 to ~6 hrs with my usage (light on second darkest, mixed usage of word processing, music, gaming etc).

Really quite respectable; I only went under the 25% warning meter once.

6. portnoy

portnoy HP iPAQ HX4705 user

I've never actually timed it. I take the thing to work to read during breaks or when things get slow (production line down or meetings) and so far it has never let me down. Well, there was this one time when I was showing it off and it froze up solid and screamed at me. I had to do a hard reset and lost everything in it. Now I back it up to the card from time to time so I have the readers etc. in case it happens again.

Just wish it could do the WiFi thing, that would be sweet. Do you hear that Toshiba? I'm just one feature away from being a satisfied customer!

7. Sash[DSL]

Thanks everyone for replying.
    5-6 hours is more than enough for me. For $170 it sure is a good buy:cool:
    P.s.
    I think protnoy is right. I heard that lithium-ion batteries should never be drained or else they will go bad quite soon.
    ><Waiting for a reply from Maledorito on this matter><

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.