Too much stuff!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Apr 24, 2018.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I still have my two units, but one is in storage. I use the newer WD TV Live (new version, no Mini or Plus on the name). It's still able to play everything I throw at it, even large 10GB+ mkv files. The UI looks really ancient, but I only have to look at it until I hit Play :) . I haven't found a suitable replacement for it. In fact, I've been thinking about getting another one, but I looked at prices on Amazon and they're outrageous, over USD 250 each (the players, not the units with hard disk). Guess they're getting vey scarce.

<raspy grabs the "Note to self" pad, resignedly writes a new one: Do not fall asleep on the lawn or any other flat surface accessible to the lawn Roomba. Get a taller couch>

RickAgresta, lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Back in the day, the WD players worked well for eliminating the clutter of DVDs (primarily kids' programs). They also allowed me to rent or borrow movies, rip them and to watch whenever I wanted. One cool deal was when the two-screen portable DVD player in the car died, I simply connected the WD mini along with a portable HD. It extended the life of the dead portable DVD player while eliminating clutter on road trips.

Our old Roku players, which were easier for my wife and mother-in-law to figure out, have long since replaced the WD players. In fact, I have HDDs full of ripped movies that we'll probably never watch again (and could stream if we wanted). I should repurpose those drives. I might some day repurpose an old laptop as an HTPC, which should give me everything the WD players offered and more.

It really was hard to part with the WD Players, though. I kept thinking I could use them and would miss them in the future.

scjjtt, raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  3. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

that, I suppose, helps explain the EU, at least in part...

https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/08/autonomous-robotic-mower-review-husqvarna/

scjjtt, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I probably would have bought one of those from you. A friend of mine who is my go-to tech guru after BH had one and it was pretty great; but he recently told me he moved on to an Nvidia Shield player, which he says is even better. You might like that.

I planned on getting a WD Live player; but they kept changing stuff, so that even if the hardware looked outwardly similar, some would play captions/subtitles and others wouldn't, some had problems displaying menus and some didn't, etc., so I could never figure out which one I actually needed to get. Some had luck flashing models with older or newer software. In the end, I got a Mac Mini, which is my theater PC and I use VLC and a NAS. It's not as nice as the WD menus (sorry Jig that you don't like them, but I always thought it was a pretty clean interface); but it works well.

scjjtt likes this.
  5. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I finally cleaned out my Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch (wow, that's a long name) and factory reset it. It is rooted and has some ROM on it. It was kind of fun pulling it out of the box and playing with it a bit. I have a couple of extra Anker batteries, and I"m sure the external chargers are around somewhere. I'm surprised at how well the battery in it holds a charge.

My LG G2 is currently activated on my old Sprint SERO account. I'm in the process of cleaning it out and expect to factory reset it soon. The screen is cracked and GPS never worked well, but other than that it's an okay device. It's also rooted/ROMed.

I need to get rid of both devices as I continue to purge stuff. Obviously, I'll keep the LG G2 until I cancel my SERO account (pretty soon).

What about my Nexus 6? I'll hold on to it for a little while longer. It's activated on my Sprint Kickstarter account. My plan is to unlock my wife's iPhone, port it away from her current Sprint plan (possibly to T-Mobile), then bring it back to Sprint under Kickstarter. After that, the Nexus 6 will likely sit at home so DroidTV can feed my Plex server.

6. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I still have my S2 E4GT... I am holding on to it to use with my Thermal sensor. Frankly, I have little use for that toy, but I had to get my $150 off use out of it before ditching it, right?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

7. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

I still have our 3 Samsung Epic 4G's. I use them as sound machines in the grandkids rooms. I guess I could use 1 of the 3 Samsung Galaxy S4's - but those are still for Grandpa.

P.S. Of course I still have spare batteries & battery chargers for all...

Sent from my LG G4 using Tapatalk