Too much stuff!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I can't wait to read the review of the device you purchase with the $75. :newpalm:

raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  2. jigwashere

I recently built a standing desk for my son. We took an old butcher-block style full-size desktop and cut it down to a more appropriate size for his room. We sanded off the old finish, rounded the edges with a router and stained the raw wood with a dark walnut stain. The water-based polyurethane top coat I applied was a completely disappointing failure, so we sanded it all off and started over. Using some old lumber and plastic, I set up a painting booth in the garage, picked up a respirator, and finished it with 2 cans of semi-gloss spray lacquer. The finish looks amazing, so we attached the Jarvis frame and moved it into his room.

My son is very happy, but now I'm left with the cleanup and....Too much stuff!

Stuff? What stuff?
    • Scrap lumber I had from a different project which I used to build the painting booth.
    • Leftover half-roll of plastic.
    • Leftover stain, poly and lacquer.
    • Remains of the old desktop (2 pieces).
    • Tack cloths, staining rags, dust masks, respirator, brushes, etc.
    • Tools, tools, tools (e.g., palm sander, circular saw, shop vac, router, etc.)
    Obviously, some things like the tools predate the project, and I can use/reuse them on future projects, but it still means I have to maintain and store them. While I do handyman projects around the house, I'm not a carpenter/woodworker. It's not like I use these tools regularly. Heck, I have an old (cheap) table saw I've never used, and my pancake compressor came with brad and finish nailers that are still shrink wrapped in their cases. Where did this stuff come from and why do I still have them?!?!

I can't/won't store the scrap lumber so since it's untreated will probably chop it up for the fire pit. The leftover desk pieces are very heavy, and while not big enough for a decent workbench, I'll try to find some way to use them (maybe some matching shelves for my son's room). But that's part of the problem -- I keep stuff in the off chance I might use them some day.

Grrr....stuff! :mad:

raspabalsa and lelisa13p like this.
  3. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I have the same tendency to stockpile things I may use someday, but when tidying up, I try to ask myself if I will be likely to use this in the next six to eight months. Ant longer than that, and I am liable to even forget that I have it or can no longer easily find it, etc.

Tools, of course can be a different matter, but even there: specialized engine tools, I try to unload once the job is done, because I know I'm not likely to need a piston-ring compressor anytime soon.

I recently got rid of those brad and finish nailers (and the oversize compressor), though my next big project may lead me to getting a cordless nailer later...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  4. EdmundDantes

EdmundDantes Mobile Deity

I thought they've had 'Roombas' for lawns for a while (usually electric). That Husqvarna looks heavier-duty and knowing Husky, it's probably REALLY expensive.

raspabalsa likes this.
  5. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

No such luck... money went to pay one bill or another. I am looking at a couple of gadgets, though. One is a new BT headset, because my Sony set is starting to show its age after 4 or 5 years of heavy use and abuse. But I don't like that most newer models have eliminated buttons in favor of swipes. I'm still not close to deciding. The other gadget is a BT speaker. Mrs. R. has been effectively transfered to the city office for at least the next 4 to 6 months, and she took the Philips BT speaker with her.. It was only fair, since it was a birthday gift from me some years ago. The house feels very large and empty now, and silent too.
    Often I try to hold on to stuff for as long as possible for that very reason. A few times I've thrown away old stuff ony to find I need it a few weeks or even months later. The problem is not keeping stuff, but not being able to predict the future :D

Congratulations on the desk, jig. Sounds like you did a great job there. :newpalm:

lelisa13p and jigwashere like this.
  6. jigwashere

Oh, I can predict the future. I don't need my stuff for years and years, but within 3 days of tossing it out, a need arises. I've gotten lucky a few times and retrieved the item by diving under some stinky trash. Sigh....very predictable.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. jigwashere

Sorry for your empty house. Maybe you could get these:

[​IMG]
    Anker Soundcore Mini 2 | $30 | Amazon | Promo code SDCORE66

Anker’s latest Bluetooth speaker is only about half the size of a soda can, but it’s totally submersible, runs for 15 hours on a charge, and can even form a wireless stereo pair if you buy two of them. Not bad for $30 (with promo code SDCORE66).

8. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Thank you, jig. The "wireless stereo" feature is interesting, and it's a really small package. But I'm looking for something somewhat larger and with more features. My wife's Philips BT speaker can play for days (she charges the battery perhaps once every 2 to 4 weeks), it's stereo, has 3.5mm aux input, and a USB port to charge any other device. The JBL Charge 3 has all those features, it's waterproof and can also connect to other speakers. There's also the Sony SRSXB30/BLK XB30 Portable Wireless Speaker, which has the same features plus NFC, and costs less than the JBL Charge 3.

But I'm not in a hurry yet. I'm streaming music from my G6 to my home theater via BubbleUPnP and my trusty old WD TV Live video player. There's enough wattage there to break the silence in my house and my neighbours' too :D

EDIT: Mrs. R. just called me.. she's coming tomorrow!! She's got to check some paperwork at the camp's office, and she'll probably stay here a couple of days. Time to grab the broom and pail, fire up the laundry machine, and turn on the home theater. Why don't I have some Roombas around here? :D :D

Last edited: May 1, 2018
    RickAgresta, jigwashere and lelisa13p like this.
  9. jigwashere

I just donated my old WD Live (Mini?), WD Live and WD Live Plus players.

raspabalsa likes this.
  10. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

see post #4....anything on the ground should be shredded and finely divided, so all you'll need to do is open a window and let it all blow away :vbgrin:

lelisa13p, jigwashere and raspabalsa like this.