Too much stuff!

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by jigwashere, Apr 24, 2018.

1. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

I've been dealing with a lot of accumulated junk over the past year or so. It's not like we had so much that we'd be candidates for the TV show 'Hoarders,' but it was (and is still) a lot of stuff.

My mother-in-law joined us as we moved into a new house last year. She aggressively disposed of things from the home she lived in for over 50 years, but after moving out with what she wanted, I had to deal with what remained prior to the sale of her property. There was stuff in the closets, the attic, basement, garage attic and its basement, and even some things in the yard and garden that had been there for decades. I made multiple trips to the county hazardous waste facility and filled a few Bagsters along the way.

My wife and I have been hard at work getting rid of things, too. We've been getting rid of old furniture, clothes, books, and other personal items (including stuff from having 2 kids and a dog).

Being the handyman in the family, I've got all the tools as well as old parts and supplies. I've been dealing with everything from old cans of paint ("do I need to keep that one for touch-ups?"), chemicals, caulk, lumber and trim, plumbing (copper, iron, PVC of every size, shape, and length to repair, replace or add something), electrical (boxes, switches, outlets, wire, conduit, old and new fixtures, etc.), bike and car parts, everything for window repair (glass, plexiglass, glazing points and compound), and so on. I had parts and supplies left over from projects, and I had even tossed things into the garage attic (who knows why?) like the original kitchen cabinet doors and drawers, landscape edging and a window well, a half-used fiberglass batt, etc. In the move, I've also gotten rid of a few old appliances and window shakers (air conditioners).

It's been a lot of work, and there's more to do. Some of the decisions have been fairly straightforward, but many others have been a struggle. I've had to determine if I'll need the item/part in the near future, whether I can donate it and to which organization, best/safest way to dispose as waste, and if I'm going to keep it, where and how to store it.

Donation sites I've used include Goodwill, Salvation Army, and the Habitat for Humanity ReStore. One interesting place is Better Futures Minnesota. They took a washer/dryer pair that still worked but were too old for Salvation Army or other donation sites. Better Futures Minnesota might sell them since they work, but if not, they can dismantle them for recycling.

Lately, I've been trying to get rid of old electronics. I have an old scanner, Palm IIIxe, Tungsten E2 and 755p (I'm keeping the T|X for now), cables and wires, routers, computer speakers, 3 WD Media players, 3 Nook Color tablets, BT and wired headsets, an old, non- (or barely) working iPod, iPhone 4s, cell phones, and cameras, etc. Once I wipe my old Netbook, it'll go. I have two other old laptops that actually run Windows 10 so maybe I'll give one to my brother and try out the other as an HTPC.

It's amazing what a time suck this has been. I've plugged in all the old electronics to see if they work, struggled to decide if I should get rid of them, and then work to ensure they're securely wiped of data. The place where I donate old electronics is Free Geek Twin Cities. It's located in my old neighborhood and they do good work in the community.

Whew! I need a coffee break.

2. Dngrsone

Dngrsone One Serious Wiku

I have the same problem. Moving out of the house we've lived in for sixteen years; have to get rid of a lot of accumulated crap, tools, electronics, even an electric car with dead batteries.

With no time to do it: work has me gone during the week and I have to drive back to the house every other weekend to sort through the piles of stuff.

I'll have to take a week off just to fill a dumpster with what's left so I can sell.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

3. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

I hear you, jig. Loud and clear. Me and my wife try very hard not to hoard stuff, but still there's lots of things we no longer use and haven't yet decided what to do with them. It's not so bad as it used to be 6 years ago, because when I moved to Colombia I left a lot of stuff behind. Back then I made some money assembling and repairing computers, so I used to have maybe 5 or 6 computers' worth of parts in my "workshop" (the far side of my room :D). I gave most of them away to a friend who runs a real PC business. I also gave away most of my dead-tree book collection, all my CDs/DVDs, and comic books. It was too expensive to bring all that stuff to Colombia.

Right now my main concerns are:

- 1 laundry machine, about a year old but damaged, the electronic board costs too much, was too hard to find, Mrs. R. got impatient and purchased a new laundry machine. I may sell it to a local repairman.

- A few large, incredibly hideous paintings that my dear MIL gave us as presents some time or other. I can't bear the sight of them, and my wife won't give them away, so they're in storage in a room we seldom use.

- Toys. We have no children at home (my kids live with their mom), but there are enough kids in my wife's side of the family to leave stuff around. I've found a toy pistol (I hate that kind of toys), an RC helicopter with no RC control, several Marvel superheroes - no DC Comics stuff, I do draw a line there :D -, plastic doll pieces, Lego blocks, etc.

- Electronics, being my hobby, is the hardest. I have half a dozen hard disks from 500GB to 2TB laying around with no PC to put them in, 3 or 4 routers, several Palm devices I can't bring myself to discard or give away (but they occupy so little space it's not worth it!), a dozen smartphones and similar gadgets- including my first large screen non-Palm device (Galaxy Player 5.0) and my beloved but ill-fated LG V10 - , cables upon cables, adapters upon adapters, power bricks, memory modules for laptops and desktps, CD burners, etc., etc. I've given away a lot of electronic stuff to co-workers and family: BT and corded headsets, corded speakers, flash memories, cellphones, routers, hard disks, memory and graphic cards, etc., but there's still a lot of stuff at home. At least it's organized in drawers and shelves, else Mrs. R. would have swept all of this away long time ago.

- Notebooks, ledgers, folders with papers of unknown origin. Most of this belongs to my wife, but it's taken 6 years for her to trim about half of that. I'm not going to raise the alarm unless they overflow her desk drawers and bookshelves.

All of this is from our "country home" next to the mine camp where I work. Our apartment in the city is brand new (we moved in January this year), so it's mostly clear, especially since my wife's daughter took a lot of stuff when we moved. But I already see some ominous signs: toys, kid clothes, tools, etc. No hideous paintings so far, at least :D

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  4. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

Since this is *already* in Off-Topic…

auto_mower-picsay.jpg

I want one!

5. raspabalsa

Is that some kind of Roomba for lawns? What's next? Autonomous prune & sprinkle machines? Doesn't anybody see the progression: Roomba -> Automower -> Autoprune&sprinkle -> Robot Apocalypse?

6. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

7. raspabalsa

:eek:

Seems inventors never watch movies... Terminator, Ex Machina, 2001, The Matrix, Westworld, Blade Runner, etc. Whenever humanity builds machines to do its chores, things go terribly wrong.

8. RickAgresta

RickAgresta Peanut, leader of the Peanutty Forces

…not all have your insight, obi•raspabalsa

jigwashere, Hook, raspabalsa and 2 others like this.
  9. lelisa13p

lelisa13p Your Super Moderator Super Moderator

Seems like a few rolls of paper towels and some Windex would be a whole lot cheaper, and safer, in the long run. :vbeek:

All hail our robot overlords. :vbwink:

10. raspabalsa

I'm happy to report that the laundry machine is no more! I spoke with one of the company's drivers (who's also quite a handyman), he inspected the machine, and we agreed to exchange it for USD 75. He claims he can fix it and resell it. We loaded the machine on his pickup and now it's gone. That machine had been sitting out of service more than half a year, but after reading and posting on this thread I decided to get rid of it. Score one for the BH motivation team :D

lelisa13p, RickAgresta and jigwashere like this.