Too much stuff, it's getting out of hand... (warning: unsolicited piece)

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by raspabalsa, Aug 22, 2019.

1. raspabalsa

raspabalsa Brain stuck BogoMipping

Ok, some time ago we defined "piece" as opposed to "rant". This here rant will have some pics, so it's actually a "piece". It's also unsolicited, long, and surely exhausting, so be sure to skip it if you have any other thing to do, no matter how boring it may seem to be. This piece will probably be moreso. With that disclaimer out of the way, I'll begin:

I arrived home in Medellin a couple of days ago (blessed be the stifling hot weather!), after my usual month at work. I spent my first day home catching up with Mrs. R, but yesterday I began to unpack my gear. I also opened a packaged that arrived from Amazon a few days ago with my latest toy (more on that later). As I began to take out my devices, cables, adapters, headset, and other stuff from the backpack, shoulder bag, and Molle pouch I carry everywhere, I noticed that the amount of stuff had increased: I had more devices, more cables, more adapters, etc. I sorted the stuff - the raspystuff :D :cool: - on the desk, and the result is quite something:

raspystuff 1024.jpg

I think the fact that I took the time to tag everything with arrows and numbers on the above pic speaks volumes by itself :rolleyes:, but anyway, this here is the sum total of gadgets and accessories I carry everywhere. I didn't include the laptop with its accessories (mouse and Wacom tablet) because this is my EDC stuff, and the laptop isn't quite an EDC.

Here's the list of all the raspystuff, beginning with the large ithingy on the top left and proceeding clockwise:

1. iPad 4 Mini WiFi - drone controller and comic book reader
    2. LG G6 - main device, movie and music player, ebook reader, game machine, can be used to speak to humans if unavoidable
    3. Enhanced raspystand for the Apple Bluetooth Keyboard, with standalone adapter on its jaws.
    4. Sony 3300 mAH battery pack with Qi wireless charging
    5. Original collapsible raspystand
    6. LG 6500 mAH battery pack with Quick Charge 3.0
    7. Toshiba 3TB portable hard disk
    8. Sennheiser Momentum 2.0 headset, active NC, BT and wired (removable wire)
    9. Fiio Q1 MkII DAC and headphone amplifier - this is the toy I just got, replacing my previous Q1 sans the Mk suffix
    10. Redline LED headlamp, can be turned on/off with hand gestures
    11. M.2 drive enclosure, currently holding an 128GB solid-state drive
    12. 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS audio cable
    13. 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRRS audio cable with inline controls for playback and volume
    14. 3.5mm TRS to 2.5mm TRS Sennheiser audio cable
    15. 3.5mm TRRS to 2.5mm TRRS Sennheiser audio cable with inline controls for playback and volume
    16. Vanilla USB to micro USB cable # 1
    17. USB to micro-B USB 3.0 cable for the hard drives (items 7 and 11)
    18. Vanilla USB to micro USB cable # 2
    19. Custom DIY OTG USB-C to micro USB adapter to connect the Fiio amp/DAC (item 9) to LG G6 (item 2)
    20. Standard OTG USB-C to USB adapter to connect LG G6 (item 2) to hard drives (items 7 and 11)
    21. Apple USB cable for iPad Mini (item 1)
    22. 3.5mm TRS to 3.5mm TRS audio cable (short)
    23. USB to dual micro USB cable to recharge keyboard batteries (item 38)
    24. USB-C cable, both connectors at right angles, to charge LG G6 (item 2) while placed on enhanced raspystand (item 3) with the standalone adapter
    25. Vanilla USB-C cable
    26. Apple charger for iPad Mini (item 1)
    27. Micro USB to USB-C adapter, and USB-C to Micro USB adapter
    28. 3.5mm TRS to airline plug audio adapter
    29. LG Fast Charge charger # 1
    30. 3.5mm TRS to RCA stereo audio adapter
    31. LG Fast Charge charger # 2
    32. 3.5mm TRRS to 3.5mm (headphones) + 3.5mm (microphone) audio adapter
    33. Micro SD to SD card adapter
    34. SIM tray removal tool
    35. nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter and micro-SIM to mini-SIM adapter
    36. Assortment of SIMcards for several countries; shown are Ecuador, Peru, and Bolivia; Colombian SIMcard is installed in LG G6 (item 2)
    37. Apple Bluetooth Keyboard with DIY power button cover
    38. NiMH AA USB-rechargeable batteries for Apple Bluetooth Keyboard (item 37)
    39. Leatherman Surge Multitool with its Molle pouch holding extra driver tips

Ok, so it's a lot of stuff, and some of it is redundant. For example, I have five 3.5mm audio cables of some sort of another, but that's just because the Sennheiser headset came with one that has no inline controls, so I had to get the one with controls, and I already had a tangle-free audio cable to connect the G6 to analog inputs, then I got another 3.5mm standard cable with inline controls, and then the Q1 MkII arrived with a short and handy 3.5mm cable. I probably will remove one or two from the EDC stuff.

An issue is where to carry all the raspystuff, and this is where things get somewhat complicated (I guess some would say "this is where things get absurd" ;)). Check my bags:

raspybags.jpg

1. Leather shoulder bag, holds the iPad, keyboard, headset, plus the small Molle pouch (item 4 in this pic) and other stuff such as passport, keys, pens, etc.

2. Nylon backpack, holds the laptop with its accessories, can hold the shoulder bag inside (with the Molle pouch either inside the shoulder bag or in some compartment or other of the backpack). Can hold clothes if necessary :D

3. New pouch (I purchased it this week) to hold the rest of the raspystuff (that which doesn't fit in items 1 or 4 in the second pic), can be placed inside the backpack, but doesn't fit in the shoulder bag.

4. Molle pouch, holds most of the raspystuff not carried in the shoulder bag, including both battery packs, two USB chargers, the collapsible raspystand, audio and USB cables, the Fiio Q1 MKII amp/DAC, and the smaller stuff (SIMcards, audio adapters, etc). Being a Molle device, it has several straps on the back, so I can place it externally on the shoulder bag's strap. I like to say that this pouch carries my "Basic Survival Kit"

Not included in the pic is my travel case, but that's just for clothes and stuff, so, boooring!

Strictly speaking, I should categorize stuff as either EDC (every day carry) or ETC (every travel carry). For example, if I go gadget-shopping in the city I carry the shoulder bag with the Molle pouch inside, holding most of the stuff detailed above, but I don't carry the Multitool, the hard drives (solid-state and spinning), the headlamp, or some of the less-used cables and adapters. But if I go on a field trip or travel abroad I carry all 39 items on the first pic and all the bags in the second pic. So I think I'll reduce the EDC list to include three 3.5mm cables, the custom OTG adapter, the Fiio amp/DAC, headset, one battery pack, one rapsystand, the G6, the iPad, Apple keyboard, and a couple of USB cables to recharge devices. The rest of the raspystuff will go in the larger pouch, and this usually goes with the clothes and the rest of the non-critical stuff as checked baggage, mostly because of the Multitool's blades and pliers.

I think this weekend I'll reorganize all this into the two sets: EDC and ETC. I will try to make the EDC smaller without losing capabilities or compatibility, if only to avoid problems when passing customs. A couple of months ago a bewildered Bolivian customs agent kept giving me the side eye treatment as she extracted cable after cable and adapter after adapter from the Molle pouch. I thought about explaining to her how I needed this adapter and that cable to connect the G6 and amp/DAC and headset, but then I thought she probably wouldn't understand what's an amp/DAC for, so I just told her "yeah, I'm a nerd", and that seemed to alleviate her suspicions :D :D.

I guess I could just sacrifice compatibility with 3.5mm audio, and that would eliminate 5 cables and 3 adapters. I said a few weeks ago that I thought I was ready to do so, but I'm not sure anymore. I usually connect the amp/DAC to the G6 with the USB OTG adapter, and I connect the Sennheiser headset to the amp/DAC with a 3.5mm and the audio quality is much, much better than over BT or even over 3.5mm to the G6 without the amp/DAC. The audio quality has improved a lot from the Q1 to the Q1 MkII, so I'm using the newer amp/DAC much more than I did the previous one. This means I have to solve another thing: how to hold the Fiio Q1 MkII and the LG G6 together. As of now I can place phone and amp/DAC on my shirt pocket when listening to music, or awkwardly hold both on my hands when watching movies. Audiophiles use "stacks", placing devices one on top of the other, as seen here:

q81519.jpg

The Q1 MkII amp/DAC is on top, an audio player below, both held together with rubber bands. In fact, Fiio included four rubber bands with this device. But I don't want rubber bands across my G6's screen, so I'm thinking about somehow adding the rubber bands to the back of the G6's case, so I can slip the amp/DAC into them when necessary. I also don't want to have rubber bands dangling around when unused, so I have to somehow make them easily removable. I went shopping yesterday (with the shoulder bag and Molle pouch :D) and bought some velcro strips of the kind used to tie cables, plus some other velcro strips with adhesive backs used to join stuff. I think I can cut some slits on the back of the phone's case and slide the velcro strips inside, creating loops that can hold the rubber strips which in turn will hold the amp/DAC. When unused, I can open the velcro strips and remove the whole harness. Or I can place one half of the adhesive velcro on the back of the G6's case and the other on the back of the Q1 MkII. I will have to give some thought to this so as not to damage the looks of the G6 when used alone.

Between the EDC/ETC reorg and solving how to hold the G6 and Q1 MkII together I guess my weekend just got booked solid! :D :newpalm:

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  2. jigwashere

jigwashere Life is a circus!

Raspy needs a bigger purse.;)

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, Hook, RickAgresta and 2 others like this.
  3. scjjtt

scjjtt A Former Palm User

Raspy - I'm impressed - you're my new hero!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

lelisa13p, jigwashere, Hook and 2 others like this.
  4. raspabalsa

I should hope it's not just one! :D

lelisa13p, scjjtt, jigwashere and 2 others like this.
  5. Hook

Hook Professional Daydreamer

The real question is... do you have more stuff than Netbrakr? :vbeek: :vbwink: :vbgrin:

6. raspabalsa

My guess is that would be a very close tie. But I only have one Samsung gadget: the 128GB Micro SD card in the G6 (the adapter is in the first pic). NetB's pics are almost exclusively Samsung stuff.

7. raspabalsa

Forget velcro... I'm going to use 3M Dual Lock fasteners. They don't wear down as velcro does, and I guess the feel is also improved because the mushroom-shaped heads are not rough as velcro. There's some examples online making audio stacks with these Dual Lock fasteners, such as this one and it looks quite cool. Problem is, I haven't found a local retailer carrying them. Ordering online may overshoot my stay here. There's some large hardware stores not far from home, so I'll go shopping this weekend.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and Hook like this.
  8. jigwashere

lelisa13p, scjjtt and raspabalsa like this.
  9. raspabalsa

Heh heh... already searched that jig, and yes, Empaquetaduras y Empaques is one of our suppliers (seals, o-rings, etc). It seems they're registered as 3M distributor, but they don't actually carry their stuff. I already called and they don't know what is a Dual Lock Fastener (I explained over the phone what it is). The others sale mostly paints. There's some listings on mercadolibre.com announcing the stuff, but it's imported on demand. I might as well order from Amazon. Later today I'll go to a couple of nearby hardware stores and see if I can find the fasteners.

lelisa13p, scjjtt and jigwashere like this.
  10. jigwashere

Some of our office supply stores carry them (e.g., Staples), but it looks like our Office Depot would require ordering by the case. I didn't see any evidence that Office Depot in Medellin has any.

lelisa13p and scjjtt like this.